Project Trail-Hopper

DSALMON-629

Observer
I can make 1 of almost anything. My problem is making a second one to match.(lol) Glad to see you don't have the same problem! Nice job.

They match pretty well, we just kept tweaking it until they matched up. We did one bend at a time. Bend one piece and then bend that same curve on the second piece.

DSALMON-629

Observer
Tool box I found for the tongue, threw a 20% coupon at it as well.
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1414.jpg
IMG_1415.jpg
Flooring I will be putting over my deck.
IMG_1395.jpg
Super important modification to the jeep to go with this project.
IMG_1399.jpg
Painting the frame
IMG_1455.jpg
Cutting the wood paneling to use on the interior, it is reclaimed wood paneling from a 70s era office building at the shop I work at. the backside of it does not have the grooves cut into it and looks nice after the old glue has been sanded off. it will eventually get painted a light grey to match the exterior metal.
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1461.jpg
IMG_1462.jpg

DSALMON-629

Observer
picked up my sheet metal, these sheets come 41 and 9/16 inches by 10 foot 2 inches. I bought them from a place called metal mart for around $45 a sheet. They have a good assortment of colors to choose from.
IMG_1468.jpg
IMG_1335.jpg
First full sheet of Ash Grey going on
IMG_1489.jpg
After it was trimmed to size.
IMG_1491.jpg
My setup for the following day, it got up to around 103 degrees that day!
IMG_1498.jpg
First sheet of Charcoal going on.
IMG_1502.jpg
Im using stainless steel rivets with a sealed backside on them to mount my sheeting. The 3/16 pneumatic riveter from harbor freight is freaking awesome!
IMG_1505.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 35

DSALMON-629

Observer
Rough cut out of the door opening.
IMG_1547.jpg
Smoothed out door opening
IMG_1549.jpg
Door placed in to see how it looked, I'm getting fancy again with all my space aged technology holding the trailer together.
IMG_1548.jpg
I had to see what my flooring would look like so i dropped a few pieces in without my deck in place.
IMG_1555.jpg

diluted

Observer
No joke this is exactly the type of trailer I'm looking for, and or contemplating building. What do you think the final weight will be? I'm debating if I can do it out of steel, or if I'll have to find someone to build it for me out of aluminum since I can't tig for ****.

I'll be pulling with a 2016 Tacoma TRDOR

DSALMON-629

Observer
No joke this is exactly the type of trailer I'm looking for, and or contemplating building. What do you think the final weight will be? I'm debating if I can do it out of steel, or if I'll have to find someone to build it for me out of aluminum since I can't tig for ****.

I'll be pulling with a 2016 Tacoma TRDOR

I haven't weighed it yet but I have roughly 300 in steel, 200 in sheet metal, 150 in axle and tires, maybe 100 for the decking, and then cabinets. Im guessing it will end up around 1000 to 1200 when its finished and loaded. your Tacoma shouldn't have any issue pulling something like this. when I get a little further along with it I will get an actual weight on it and let everyone know.

DSALMON-629

Observer
I think this will end up being a nice size when its finished. a little more room inside for getting dressed or hanging out during bad weather, but not really big and hard to tow with a jeep.
IMG_1553.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg
This is the wrong door for this side of the camper, but it was already un-packaged, and I was feeling lazy. I still need to bend my aluminum angle to cover the edges and get rid of all the tape once the angle is riveted in place.
IMG_1551.jpg

rodrage

Adventurer
Salmon- Can't get over how nice it's looking. I bought the same sheet-metal, and starting to think about the edges and corners. Are you using the same stuff and bending the corners in a brake?,, or using extruded aluminum angle stock? I don't have a long brake so, I'm about to ask the vendor I got my sheets from if they will sheer and bend a couple of strips for me, but not sure how it will look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles