Project Trail-Hopper

DSALMON-629

Observer
So I'm not very eloquent with words, but started a trailer build a few months back. its nothing super fancy but should suit my needs pretty well. I waited till I was a decent ways into the build before starting a thread so there weren't long periods of inactivity to bore people. I took lots of inspiration from the sawtooth xl build as well as lots of other builds I found on google images and pinterest (pinterest is for manly stuff as well!) I guess I'll jump into it.
IMG_0439.jpg

DSALMON-629

Observer
Ignore the messy shop in the background of these pictures, my boss likes me and is letting me work on the trailer during lunch and afternoon breaks.
IMG_0495.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg
Rear receiver hitch.
IMG_0499.jpg
Base frame completed!
IMG_0501.jpg
The machine I'm working with.
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0505.jpg
Milling out the bumper.
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg

rustED

Adventurer
Nice work, it's got to be sweet having access to the shop and tools! I could have used that milling machine today, it took me half the day to cut out the oval holes in my bumper for the tail lights using a grinder, lol. Keep up the good work!

Martyinco

Adventurer
Envious of the shop and all the tools! Sure beats doing it in the garage :(

Cant wait to see the rest of the build :victory:

rodrage

Adventurer
That's just SICK! Frame looks bulletproof. Rear bumper is amazing.Took me a month to build the rear bumper for my Jeep.

DSALMON-629

Observer
Here is a picture of bending the outer frame, used a 12 inch ID, 20 inch OD, steel plate flange as my radius. It is tacked onto a steel table and held still by the two forklifts.
IMG_1005.jpg
Rough bend of the frame, needs to be cut down to size just a little bit.
IMG_1007.jpg
Welding on leaf spring perches and getting the axle ready to mount.
IMG_1203.jpg
IMG_1204.jpg
Sitting on its own weight
IMG_1223.jpg
Looks good behind the jeep
IMG_1226.jpg
Next few pics are a little hard to make out, but the frame walls are getting started.
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1241.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg

DSALMON-629

Observer
That's just SICK! Frame looks bulletproof. Rear bumper is amazing.Took me a month to build the rear bumper for my Jeep.

I wanted to build this strong from the start, I plan on taking this thing damn near anywhere I want to go and it should last me many years to come!

DSALMON-629

Observer
Starting on the floor, had to splice two sheets together to get my 5x8 flooring.
IMG_1278.jpg
Cutting my scarf joints for the two deck pieces to make one large sheet, used some really fancy sawhorses to get it done. Takes a lot of passes with a circular saw to create a 2 inch scarf joint!
IMG_1281.jpg
Starting to insulate the deck with 1.5 inch Styrofoam board.
IMG_1305.jpg
Finished deck before coating.
IMG_1316.jpg
Deck with one coat of Ultra-Roof 1000, I did a total of 4 thick coats on top and bottom and around 6 coats on the edges.
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz