MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

gscott

Thanks to photobucket and their extortion attempt...photo links broken. I'll get them back up someday.

The kit is still available. Planning another production run soon.

PM sent. But I'd like to be on a list to get info about the kit availability and pricing.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Is there anything different about installing your kit on an E450? Do you use different spring rates for gas vs diesel? I assume there's a little more weight on the front axle with a 7.3 PSD. I went across the scales with my new box van and I got 3700 lbs front, and 5400 rear. This was basically empty, just a 300 pound dirt bike over the rear axle. I think my max weights are 9000 for the rear axle and 5000 for the front. Total is 14,050 GVW. I assume I might be best with custom rear springs.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Is there anything different about installing your kit on an E450? Do you use different spring rates for gas vs diesel? I assume there's a little more weight on the front axle with a 7.3 PSD. I went across the scales with my new box van and I got 3700 lbs front, and 5400 rear. This was basically empty, just a 300 pound dirt bike over the rear axle. I think my max weights are 9000 for the rear axle and 5000 for the front. Total is 14,050 GVW. I assume I might be best with custom rear springs.

I 99.8% sure that MG/www.expovans.com doesn't offer kits for the E450's(box vans, duallies/motorhomes) at this time. Not enough calling locally for them to have fully tested different spring rates and such for the heavier configurations.
Their focus is on the SRW(single rear wheel) passenger and cargo vans. MG can chime in if different.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I 99.8% sure that MG/www.expovans.com doesn't offer kits for the E450's(box vans, duallies/motorhomes) at this time. Not enough calling locally for them to have fully tested different spring rates and such for the heavier configurations.
Their focus is on the SRW(single rear wheel) passenger and cargo vans. MG can chime in if different.

You're right Jeremy. I haven't had any time to take a look at E450s (and/or any dually configs) and have decided not to pursue them. For one, I don't have the shop space for box vans/motorhomes and more importantly, I don't want work on the bigger/heavier rigs. Already got my fill of that stuff in a previous life. It's tricky enough keeping up with all of the variations of E350 Cargo and Passenger vans through the years anyways.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Are you DIY'ing this? If so I wouldn't be discouraged from the previous posts.
Regarding front, once all of the front suspension is removed as necessary, what is left is same/similar. I do remember Chris saying there was a minor difference regarding a leaf spring conversion but I'm not sure it did would have applied to a coil kit. Comparo's could be made of the frame differences in the body builders guide, etc.
The rear would depend on wether you want to go SRW or not.
Custom leaf springs to your weight should be available in your area at a significant savings over freight shipping from anywhere.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Are you DIY'ing this? If so I wouldn't be discouraged from the previous posts.
Regarding front, once all of the front suspension is removed as necessary, what is left is same/similar. I do remember Chris saying there was a minor difference regarding a leaf spring conversion but I'm not sure it did would have applied to a coil kit. Comparo's could be made of the frame differences in the body builders guide, etc.
The rear would depend on wether you want to go SRW or not.
Custom leaf springs to your weight should be available in your area at a significant savings over freight shipping from anywhere.

As far as I know the E350 and E450 front end is the same. I was curious if a different spring rate was used for the E350 gas vs diesel. Rear springs will be super easy. It's wide open and there's room to move the front or rear perches anywhere since there's no wheel well. Ujoint has done several E450 motorhomes and so has WeldTec. I'd prefer a coil sprung 4wd though. Tyson will be over soon with his van so we can compare.

dazdconfsd

Observer
As far as I know the E350 and E450 front end is the same. I was curious if a different spring rate was used for the E350 gas vs diesel. Rear springs will be super easy. It's wide open and there's room to move the front or rear perches anywhere since there's no wheel well. Ujoint has done several E450 motorhomes and so has WeldTec. I'd prefer a coil sprung 4wd though. Tyson will be over soon with his van so we can compare.

There is a difference in the springs for gas vs diesel. It's mentioned in this thread, but only in general terms. I would expect that springs could be found, but it doesn't sound like MG himself is too interested in the research. For the rear, Ujoint could probably be helpful due to their experience with similar setups.

Speedwagon

I got this kit a month or so ago. Got my axle today. Going to start this project this coming week.

But I'm not understanding the spring perch part with the kit, and the picture on page 1 is no longer working, so I can't see it. Can anyone help me out here?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I got this kit a month or so ago. Got my axle today. Going to start this project this coming week.

But I'm not understanding the spring perch part with the kit, and the picture on page 1 is no longer working, so I can't see it. Can anyone help me out here?

There are a couple pics here that I could find quick...

Speedwagon

There are a couple pics here that I could find quick...
I see why I was confused now. The current spring perch is completely filled in with sediment, so I couldn't see the bolt holding it together.
065381d220968b71c0fbb3b45cca83e9.jpg

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke