MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

DudeAbides

Observer
I REALLY like the idea of this, but as a Quigley owner, not sure it makes much sense, as opposed to just doing an Agile RIP
kit for some fairly decent gains.

Sure is interesting though!!

May not be worth it for a Quigley owner who is happy with their van's handling, but there are advantages that aren't duplicated by anybody else I don't think and can't be corrected with new shocks. First and maybe most important is the caster he has built into the design, speaking from personal experience with my FZJ80 that can make a night and day difference in handling on a lifted rig. Second is control arm angle, the pics show the arms pretty much parallel with the frame. That is huge for ride quality, allowing the springs to absorb the bumps with minimal transfer of force through the arms to the frame/body (less jarring).

Jsweezy

Explorer
Is your rear end sitting a bit raked? I did not realize my van was until I actually bought it, waiting for build out to get custom Alcans built up. Your baby looks pretty damn sweet, the kit looks factory

Thanks! The rear end does sit a little higher. These pictures make it look level or maybe even a little lower but I'm also on a slight very slight incline.

simple

Adventurer
Is that how much drop down is required to fit a solid axle under the front end? Can the brackets be made shorter for less lift?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Is that how much drop down is required to fit a solid axle under the front end? Can the brackets be made shorter for less lift?

I don't have any plans to make parts with less lift. Bump travel is severely limited if you go much lower. My Quadvan set up was ~2" of bump travel and I bottomed out pretty regularly on big bumps.

I don't have any plans to make parts with less lift. Bump travel is severely limited if you go much lower. My Quadvan set up was ~2" of bump travel and I bottomed out pretty regularly on big bumps.

How many inches of bump travel do you have with your system now? What's the approximate lift?

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter

I'm really surprised it was that little.
The quadvan I rode in seemed to have far more than 2", and without getting out a tape measure would say it was equivalent height to my ujor 4" lift van.

Wondering the same thing as the village idiot, also, is this equivalent to a 6" ujoint van? How does it compare ride height wise to Vandiana?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'm really surprised it was that little.
The quadvan I rode in seemed to have far more than 2", and without getting out a tape measure would say it was equivalent height to my ujor 4" lift van.

Wondering the same thing as the village idiot, also, is this equivalent to a 6" ujoint van? How does it compare ride height wise to Vandiana?

Side by side with Vandiana I believe they were within a fraction of an inch of each other (my van being slightly lower). The bump travel has been improved with the extra lift but also the axle is in a better position relative to the cross member so I can get more travel out of my trac bar because of its placement than Quadvan, Quigley and CCV can. However, I'm being a little conservative with my bump stop height for the time being because I don't want to push to the edge of the design boundary all in one shot. I'm creeping up on the limits as we get more miles on these vans. It's a process....

Currently, bump travel is a little shy of 4" before it hits the bump pads and then a little compression of the pad. BTW...at full bump, the axle is stuffed as high into the cross member as physically possible while keeping the ability to have a solid trac bar mount and more than adequate trac bar/drag link clearances.

When the van was still a Quadvan, the bump stop was just above the landing pad and there are clear rub marks all over the pad from the bumper hitting it so many times. It wasn't always a super jarring hit but you could feel it frequently.

Last edited:

Ranchero

Wanderer
Do you think 35s will clear with the 4" springs in back? I just committed to a kit. Want to go 34-35. Need to decide on rear springs and get those ordered.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I have Ujoints 4" springs and I have a good amount of room with 33s. I'm sure 35s would clear fine for light duty van stuff but not sure how far they would stuff into the wheel well. Maybe we will throw MGs 35s on my van some time and see what happens.

I'm sure 34s would fit no problems.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Do you think 35s will clear with the 4" springs in back? I just committed to a kit. Want to go 34-35. Need to decide on rear springs and get those ordered.

I think you'll be alright with 35's. The back has lots of clearance. The front could use a little trimming at the back of the fender for better clearance though. Doesn't rub when going straight but hard bumps at mid turn you may get a little rub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94