Yakima SkyRise RTT

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
I was involved in a Rack Dawg training through work, and have been a certified installer since April of this year.

Here are a few photos of our introduction to the Skyrise and Slim Shady (Yakima's awning system) from April of this year:

Tower trainer...
IMG_5638.jpg

Deploying and enjoying the Slim Shady awning...
IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

Deploying and discussing the Skyrise 3...

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5645.jpg

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
More Skyrise 3 photos...

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

IMG_5651.jpg

Some close ups of sections of the Skyrise...

Tongue in groove fitment
IMG_5655.jpg

The stout and easy to work with install clamps
IMG_5657.jpg

Underneath the mattress
IMG_5660.jpg

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
And finally, some interior shots...

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

This was an 8 hour Yakima training...so obviously it was heavily immersed in product and company culture. However, it is a testament to Yakima's commitment to the market, and the education of folks in the outdoor industry. From our store, Jake Kennedy, the Yakima rep who gets paid to drive around the country is this sweetly kitted out Tacoma...was headed to Expo West to demo their stuff.

A few of the critical takeaways from the training, that included about 3 hours of classroom time in addition to the hands on portion (plus lunch at Rubio's, thanks Jake!!):

- "point load" testing that Yakima conducts on their crossbars with relation to the Skyrise RTT's. Inside the Yakima testing facility their R&D guys have a testing "rack" where they subject both Yakima and donated factory racks to all kinds of torture. The releveant "point load" test involved a stress test of sorts where 400 to 600 lbs of force was applied to one point of a Yakima crossbar as well as factory crossbars...Toyota and Subaru of note. The 400 and 600 pound numbers are relevant, as those are the static weight ratings for both Skyrise products. All factory racks failed this test, while the Yakima crossbars all passed.

- No Skyrise products are recommended for the Baseline tower product, and must use the Skyline (fixed point) or Timbline's (clamped in conjunction with a factory roof side rail) for recommended mounting. The Ridgeline raised rail system is recommended for specific applications, but not all.

- The website to use to assist in all Skyrise fitment/installation scenarios is available here: fitlookup.yakima.com If the Skyrise does not show in the Base Camp section of your chosen rack configuration, it is not a recommended fit.

- Yakima and Tepui are working very closely together, so look for more Yakima Skyrise enhancements in the coming months (annex's, add a room's, etc.)

My personal takeaways from this training and the past few months of installations of the Skyrise RTT's is that the market is very interested in this style of camping/recreating. I have installed them on Subaru Outbacks and Toyota 4Runners so far with no issue. The unboxing, building and install is now down to about 70-90 minutes, solo.

The most interesting segment is the online customer that orders the Skyrise shipped to the store without ever seeing the product in person prior to installation, a quantum leap of faith and wallet, and frankly the reason for most of our returns. This is the interesting segment of the market for me, and also the opporunity to help and educate. Most online/ship to store customers that I have encountered did their internet research, watched installation videos, and bought the tent with high expectations of a simplified camping experience.

What I have also learned is that if we can install the RTT and educate through small talk during the install, the instance of product return is sincerely reduced. Explaining the deployment sequence; how to choose a level campsite or shimming tires with small wood blocks, or carrying a compressor and deflating tires to sleep level; setting the deployment method up passenger side for easy access to the driver's compartment; vehicle gas mileage expectations; and immenent wind noise are all topics we try to cover. Not to mention the extra time you will spend chatting with your curious neighbors following set up, these things are still novel and curiosity is rampant.

The folks who are buying these are a very mixed demographic, from families with small children looking to road trip, to young millenials tracking the coming eclipse cross country, as well as the weathered desert rat just desiring a lighter and well represented product...in my opinion this market is expanding in a very healthy direction.

Last edited:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Skyrise 3 Purchase

Putting my money where my mouth is...grabbed a Skyrise 3 (used, garage sale @ REI) and will be bed mounting soon on a Thule Xsporter.

Some pics of the acquired RTT:

yakima skyrise 3.jpg

yakima skyrise 2.jpg

yakima skyrise 1.jpg

I had a chance to inspect it, all of the parts were there, with some minor cosmetic damage to the bracket/floor side where the previous owners perhaps had issues on install and bumped the rack sliding over. Well worth the 50% discount...

For the outdoor opportunists out there, and who happen to be REI members, this is potentially a great way to pick up a lightly used RRT with a healthy discount. :wings:

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Long story short, I tried to run over my RTT while moving cars in the driveway...let's suffice to say I didn't realize what I was doing until I heard a loud crunch. That was the clamp on the underside succumbing to the landscape curb vs. the bumper of my Civic.

That sinking feeling when you know you did something stupid...overwhelming.

The good news, I was able to dial up Yakima's customer service and for $15 plus $10 shipping had a new clamp assembly in hand...in 24 hours. :cool:

Their facility is in Riverside...I'm in San Diego. Nice.

capturecolorado

Hooray bikes!
Perhaps this has been covered in this thread, but does anyone know if this tent can store sleeping gear inside when folded? It looks so thin when folded, it's hard to imagine that there's space for any gear to stay inside like Tepui or CVT.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Perhaps this has been covered in this thread, but does anyone know if this tent can store sleeping gear inside when folded? It looks so thin when folded, it's hard to imagine that there's space for any gear to stay inside like Tepui or CVT.
It largely depends on the bedding. If it's super thick synthetic filled stuff, it might be snug. I can leave my down layers in there just fine, but prefer not to. I guess you pick your poison. You can have lots of room to store your bedding or have a thin profile tent. Most tents are giant bricks.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Finally got around to mounting the YS3 to my Thule Xsporter bed rack, and deployed and played around with the tent. Overall, very happy with how quickly and easily this sets up.

rtt one.jpg

I like the velcro that "seals" around the perimeter of the black cover...seems this might hold up to the constant road dust/grime a little better than some of the zipper closures I have seen on other tents.

IMG_6969.jpg

I did notice during my mounting process that the floor exhibited the pressed/ribbed look that some people have spoken of with other RTT's. This looks purely cosmetic, as laying on the mattress, I can't feel the depressions or raised bars. I think the aluminum skin of these RTT's is just thin, to save weight obviously, and not designed for heavy point contact loads. User beware/becareful.

IMG_6916.jpg

This was a very experiential learning process for me, as the Thule Xsporter bed rack created some hurdles that were overcome by persistence and $$$. The bars on the Xsporter are much taller/thicker than the standard aero/round/square bar styles available from Yakima/Thule...therefore, I had to completely ditch my nice/convenient Yakima Skyrise clamping system and order an aluminum track mount system common on most other RTT's. The down side was I was loosing the ease of tent removal, but the upside is my tent mounts closer to the roofline of my Tacoma on the Xsporter. The Yakima clamps easily add an additional 2.5 inches of lift to your Skyrise mounting profile.

I also had to "upgrade" my mounting hardware, as the bolts that came with my mounting tracks were not long enough to allow for bolting around those d*mn thick Xsporter bars. I went with 3" bolts, and will probably trim the extra 3/8 of an inch to save my cranium during bed load outs for trips...might look for some soft bolt caps as well to save on Band Aids. :)

I also had to cut about an inch off of each end of the tracks, as the perimeter aluminum of my Skyrise vs. the floor of the tent created a gap that raised the tracks, and pulled the thin skin of the floor uncomfortably when tightened down. Now they sit flush on the floor and the track ends tuck nicely inside the base of the mounting area. I did file the track ends and tapped in the provided black plastic caps.

We will be making our maiden voyage with the Skyrise this weekend, a simple one night shake down run and literal test bed for our rescue black lab...hoping she does well first time camping! I'll post up some pics of the YS3 post trip.

:camping:

rickc

Adventurer
Am I correct to understand that there is only Velcro around the cover edges? No zipper at all? If so, I'd strongly advise owners to be careful how the cover is folded and stored when not in use; I've seen guys simply throw them under the truck and out of the way but if this is done with a Velcro system, the Velcro will get dirty and will not work. Much easier, though still a PITA, to clean a dirty zipper.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Am I correct to understand that there is only Velcro around the cover edges? No zipper at all? If so, I'd strongly advise owners to be careful how the cover is folded and stored when not in use; I've seen guys simply throw them under the truck and out of the way but if this is done with a Velcro system, the Velcro will get dirty and will not work. Much easier, though still a PITA, to clean a dirty zipper.

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, only Velcro to "seal" the edges of the cover to the tent floor. However, when the cover isn't in use, it rolls neatly up against the underside with two loops provided to stow it up and out of dirts way. :sombrero:

TOUGE

A new colab between Poler and Yakima spotted at Interbike which is a bicycle industry expo in Las Vegas. I can't find much other info about it other than these photos. Looks to have a few little updates on the original but nothing major.

p5pb15193863.jpg

p5pb15193858.jpg

max_Yakima_SkyRise_4_606383.jpg

s1600_Yakima_SkyRise_2_154094.jpg

max_Yakima_SkyRise_118347.jpg

max_Yakima_SkyRise_3_4817.jpg

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Takeaway's from the cool post above:

-boot bag with the Yakima logo...accessories!!

-wondering if the LED light strip is a feature of this model...if so, sweet!

-not a fan (personally) of the camo look, but I do appreciate options.

Thanks for posting man, I had some friends that attended INTERBIKE and they missed this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne