Should I buy a 1st Gen Sequoia?

Plains Drifter

A Disco would be a fine daily driver. I've owned both a DI and DII and loved them both. Solid ownership/maintenance history, continued preventative maintenance and some patience seem to be the key to LR ownership :) For 3 kids, a DII might be on the small side. One kid would likely be relegated to a jump seat, reducing your gear hauling capacity and I can't imagine it's a very comfortable ride back there.

We now have an '06 Sequoia Limited and have been extremely pleased. I was considering 100 Series LC's and the GX470 but found both to be a little on the small side for our needs. The 4.7L has plenty of power, it's got a great ride, tons of interior space for both people (I'm 6'2" and I can sit comfortably in the 3rd row) and stuff. After a year or so of Sequoia ownership, I have zero regrets. If you can find one, I'd recommend an '05-'07 (5-spd transmission, engine improvements) Limited with the captain's seats in the middle row. Plus, adding a "lift" (level the front end with the rear) is relatively cheap as you just need to get some Bilstein adjustable struts.

Good luck with your search!

7EA1D8A4-ADC9-423F-AE04-4D9A474502CE_zpswm0ssfvu.jpg

Thanks for the info!

It looks like 2nd gen is out of my price range. I'm having a tough time finding 1st gens even.

My budget is $7000, but I'd like to stay closer to $6k, so I can afford to put some decent all terrain tires on right away.

What kinds of maintenance issues do I need to look for with these trucks?

Thanks!

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Thanks for the info!

It looks like 2nd gen is out of my price range. I'm having a tough time finding 1st gens even.

My budget is $7000, but I'd like to stay closer to $6k, so I can afford to put some decent all terrain tires on right away.

What kinds of maintenance issues do I need to look for with these trucks?

Thanks!

My biggest maintenance issue is...wait a minute, it will come to me, uh, let's see. Surely in 240,000 miles there must be more than just the couple of bulbs that I've replaced ... brakes? Hardly consider that a "maintenance issue." Uh, nope. Had a rattle once, but traced it to the shift cable resting on the left exhaust manifold heat shield. Nope, can't think of anything.

If I were buying one "from scratch," I would do the normal checkout for a used car (which is more than I want to get into here). But if you're looking for issues specific to the model? I can't think of any. Seriously.

Plains Drifter

My biggest maintenance issue is...wait a minute, it will come to me, uh, let's see. Surely in 240,000 miles there must be more than just the couple of bulbs that I've replaced ... brakes? Hardly consider that a "maintenance issue." Uh, nope. Had a rattle once, but traced it to the shift cable resting on the left exhaust manifold heat shield. Nope, can't think of anything.

If I were buying one "from scratch," I would do the normal checkout for a used car (which is more than I want to get into here). But if you're looking for issues specific to the model? I can't think of any. Seriously.

Wow that is awesome!

The only thing I've seen is the frame rot rust issue. How big of a concern is that? What years were affected? If a first gen looks good underneath, should I still be concerned?

marathonracer

Adventurer
Remember to look for a recently changed timing belt and water pump on the 2uz-fe depending mileage. Other than that the only other real issues would be ball joints. Not sure if there are any Sequoia specific issues, I'm speaking as a tundra owner.

rickashay

Explorer
Remember to look for a recently changed timing belt and water pump on the 2uz-fe depending mileage. Other than that the only other real issues would be ball joints. Not sure if there are any Sequoia specific issues, I'm speaking as a tundra owner.

I think you basically nailed it. Drivetrain/powertrain anyway.
- lower ball joints
- timing belt and water pump
- leaky OE exhaust manifolds producing the "tick" when cold
- starter is supposedly a ***** to replace once it goes due to its location under the intake manifold but I wouldn't consider that a reliability issue. Just something to mention.

2UZ's rock!

Plains Drifter

I think you basically nailed it. Drivetrain/powertrain anyway.
- lower ball joints
- timing belt and water pump
- leaky OE exhaust manifolds producing the "tick" when cold
- starter is supposedly a ***** to replace once it goes due to its location under the intake manifold but I wouldn't consider that a reliability issue. Just something to mention.

2UZ's rock!

Awesome, thanks guys!

Is the frame rust thing an issue on these trucks? Or was that long enough ago that any that were affected would be known by now?

r50fj60

Observer
Resurrecting this thread, if OP is even still around. OP if you're there did you ever get a 1st gen sequoia?

D

Deleted member 9101

They are great, just make sure it has the larger calipers up front. The small ones don't hold enough pad for any kind of longevity.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What yrs had the smaller calipers? The first couple of yrs? My 05 seems to get good pad life, unlike my 93 J80 which went as few as 10,000 miles on a set of pads.

i have a 04 srs, thing just keeps going. now im debating on turning it into a full blown camp rig or keep it kid/trailer hauler.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Wow that is awesome!

The only thing I've seen is the frame rot rust issue. How big of a concern is that? What years were affected? If a first gen looks good underneath, should I still be concerned?

Just got my notice in the mail for the frame rust issue. Took her in to the dealer and they're going to apply some Corrosion Resistant Compound. I guess if I hadn't washed the underside all of these years I would have had more rust and may have gotten a new frame out of it.

CYi5

Explorer
Bumping this up for 4WD info between 01-04 and 05-07.

My '99 4Runner has the multimode transfercase offering push button AWD, and a J shifter to switch between 2wd, 4hi, and 4low. It has worked flawlessly for 270k miles.

I see 01-04 Sequoias have a manual shifter still which operates 2wd, 4hi, and 4low I presume? And then some sort of traction aid button on the dash?

05-07 have a push button only selector, but then also have a new torsen style center diff? Is this engaged all the time, i.e. full time 4wd? Or is it similar to my push button AWD like in my '99 4runner?

I know of the engine tranny improvements between the years, just trying to see what the most reliable/functional 4wd system is between the two.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
My 05 Sequoia has three buttons.

2WD/4HI button which seems to like being engaged/disengaged while the vehicle is moving under no load. That requires a bit of planning, so basically I hit it as soon as my tires leave the pavement.

Then there's 4LO which seems to engage/disengage best when sitting still in Neutral. That's OK, because it lets you be on the brakes (on a hill, for example) when engaging it.

Lastly there's the diff lock button that looks more like a "missing drive shaft" icon. I haven't tried to shift that on while moving, but it has a definite effect on power transfer. I've been cross centered a couple of times and after engaging the diff lock (and riding the brakes a little which helps the torsen spread the torque out), she crawled right off of the rocks.

Volcom

Bumping this up for 4WD info between 01-04 and 05-07.

My '99 4Runner has the multimode transfercase offering push button AWD, and a J shifter to switch between 2wd, 4hi, and 4low. It has worked flawlessly for 270k miles.

I see 01-04 Sequoias have a manual shifter still which operates 2wd, 4hi, and 4low I presume? And then some sort of traction aid button on the dash?

05-07 have a push button only selector, but then also have a new torsen style center diff? Is this engaged all the time, i.e. full time 4wd? Or is it similar to my push button AWD like in my '99 4runner?

I know of the engine tranny improvements between the years, just trying to see what the most reliable/functional 4wd system is between the two.
I've got an 01 Sequoia. I don't like the 4WD system in it. Toyota dropped the ball with these in 01 and 02. I think they finally fixed them in 03. The issue is it's only in true 4WD (center diff locked) when the t-case shifter is in Low and the transmission is in first gear. That's it. Once you shift into second gear or reverse, it kicks the center diff lock out and now you're in AWD. Uhhhhhhh, thanks Toyota. Horrible design.

I've taken it out on the trail a couple times and it's scary to get it into a spot where you've wheeled it in forward in 4WD and have to get out in AWD. Not fun at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz