"Plating" an off-road bike in AZ

Has anyone here had any experience with obtaining a plate for a dirtbike in Arizona? Those of you who are KTM folks may know that it's really easy to plate your bikes in just about any state, but I'm a Honda type, and Oregon says "NO WAY... Sorry Charlie!""

They tell me that I can't register my bike for on-road use since the title says "for off-road use only"... no, not even with a DS kit, tires, and a state inspection. However, Oregon will issue me a new plate if the bike has current registeration and a plate from another state.

So... I'm a Jr., meaning that my dad and I share the same name. The title for my Honda doesn't have the Jr. on it, and my dad is an AZ resident and lives in Tucson... see where I'm going with this?

I've heard that AZ is much more liberal than OR about handing out plates to dirtbikes. Does anyone here have experience in obtaining a plate in Arizona for an off-road Honda (ie: CRF250X)?

Anyone who wants to tell me how crumby my bike will be on the road is free to do so. However, I want a plate only for short stints between trail systems, not to ride around on all the time, ie: 1-4 mile stretches with a 45mph speed limit. All of the Sheriff's know of the spots that are typically "poached" on the roads here to get from trail system to trail system, and have nabbed several buddies over the last few months. I don't want to be nabbed.

Thoughts & comments appreciated!

Oh, and I'm not going to buy a new orange bike this year, so there's no need to bother telling me how 'easy' it is to license one of those in Oregon... :D

:roost:

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Different counties in AZ may require emissions testing for the bike, which most off road bikes will fail due to visual inspection (no cat). FWIW, Coconino county does not (Flagstaff).

In Arizona, a street motorcycle must have a rear view mirror, footrests, and seat:

"28-964. Motorcycles; all-terrain vehicles; motor driven cycles; equipment; exception; prohibition. (in pertinent part....)

B. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and motor driven cycle shall be equipped with a rearview mirror, seat and footrests for the operator. A motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle or motor driven cycle operated with a passenger shall be equipped with a seat, footrests and handrails for the passenger."

I'd likely throw a set of DOT tires on it too...and comply with noise levels for the exhaust.

Full AZ transportation statutes are here:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28

-H-

toy_tek

Adventurer
Don't forget you need to have street insurance for the street plates to be valid.

There is no AZ statute for DOT tires. Of course that doesn't mean you can't get a ticket for it - they just can't enforce it.

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
WhereTheHellIsJames? said:
What tire is that?! I haven't seen lugs rip off like that before.

For the life of me I cant remember the brand...but I do remember talking with the manufacture and they contributed loss of lugs to exceeding the speed rating of the tire. It happened on a 4 month old tire on a road trip from Las Vegas to Phoenix during a warm part of the year. In the tires defense I was pushing the posted speed limit hard.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
I had to do emissions on my XR400 up here in Phoenix. They never cared about it not having mirrors, a horn, brake light, or non-dot tires. They just hooked up the exhaust and told me I faild the emissions.
So I went to Ace and got a certain alchohol based cleaner. Went back and wouldn't you know it blew a 0 and passed emissions.
Done and done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94