Thread: Single Wall Boil Pot + French Press? That's not $$$

Default Single Wall Boil Pot + French Press? That's not $$$

Hey Folks, My name is Patrick and I have a problem... I enjoy delicious hot, freshly ground, attentively made coffee in the mornings... evening when I'm camping... ... ... especially when I'm camping!

So here's my situation: Right now, I use an MSR pocket rocket, which boils water within a 1L MSR kettle. Then I pour the 1L of just-past-boiling water from the MSR kettle into a 1L double wall insulated stainless steel french press with coffee grinds, which 5-7 minutes later, results in two, very good, Klean Canteen 16oz tumblers full of delicious coffee... (I wont get into the beans, or the roast, or the grind, the water temp, the water, the brew time, the pixie dust, or all that other junk...) I'm talking hardware here... ... ... ...

So I need help eliminating a 1L pot. Theoretically I should be able to boil the water in a 1L pot, then add coffee grinds, wait, press, and enjoy. Which I can.... for $$$... ... ..

I can buy an 18/10 stainless steel double wall insulated french press for $22 shipped. But I cannot find a 1L single wall pot that I can then press coffee in to save my life. I've looked on BackCountry.com, REI.com, and Amazon.... Am I not search correctly?

I've found the awesome SnowPeak press... which is not 1L and therefore not enough goodness for me in the morning.

I've found the JetBoil Java setup; but I already have a stove.

I've found the MSR windburner coffee press; but again.... I already have a stove.

I'm trying to avoid buying another stove....

I want to buy a $20 single wall stainless french press that I can boil water in.

HELP!
    Last edited by SnoViking; 08-17-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    -Patrick

When you're home, you dream of adventure. When you're on adventure, you dream of home... ... ...

Lexus GX460 ("Land Cruiser Lite" URJ150)

My Adventures @Instagram: Advtr_On

If you can find one left over at your local Cabela's, they cleared out the Jetboil JavaStein setup for like $22 a while back. Titanium pot and french press, comes with Jetboil attachments but you don't have to use it with a Jetboil. I use mine on a Coleman white gas stove. Retail is $90, so YMMV.

Stanley has two French press options for camping/hiking.

Not sure if either one fits the bill or not... probably over $20 bucks too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not $20, but close

https://www.rei.com/product/708069/s...FUkjgQodNOMDPg

I always find French Press coffee by the time it's done has cooled too much for my liking. Once I switched to the Bialetti Moka (superior coffee and temperature), never going back.

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cu...479220005&sr=1

Why not just do cowboy coffee, just dont let it come to a full boil. Nice stuff.

I actually ended up finding (and buying) one of the Stanely Adventure Brew Pot.

I am 90% happy with it. It sits nicely on top of my MSR stove, holds 1L of coffee (which is just enough to get me going in the mornings.....), and the lid/strainer works well. Clean up is pretty easy also.

The 10% I dislike, and it annoys me greatly, is the pouring. The "lip" where you pour from has a radius'ed edge and unless you really commit to pouring it dribbles all down the side of the pot. The "lip" should have a nice clean sharp edge to cut the surface tension of the coffee and help pouring. Design snafus like these rub me wrong! Did the designers/engineers actually try and POUR coffee from the pot before they decided on the final design??? I ended up using a small sanding wheel on the Dremel to correct the problem. And now it pours great.

Anyway.... for $25 it fits the bill and I'm pretty happy with it. I would still recommend it!

-Patrick

When you're home, you dream of adventure. When you're on adventure, you dream of home... ... ...

Lexus GX460 ("Land Cruiser Lite" URJ150)

My Adventures @Instagram: Advtr_On

Quote Originally Posted by joelbert View Post
    Bialetti Moka (superior coffee and temperature), never going back.
    I love the coffee from my Moka, but the darned thing seams to always leak when pouring between the 2 halves that screw together, so I use it rarely.
    83 Mighty Max SPX - 2.0l 4 speed. ARB bumper, winch, OME 2" rear, Bilsteins, 4.90 rear locker, front LSD. 31x10.5R15
    88 Raider: 4D56T, 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, KYB G/A, T/L, OME Dakar Rear Springs, 33x12.5x15 MTZ, PLH L/Os, Dual Bouncies,
    92 Montero RS M/T - SOLD!
    93 Montero SR Auto 3.0 V6 33x10.5R15LT BFG T/A KO, KYB G/A, 4.88, ARB Bumper, Warn HS9.5k, New Heated Leather, Dual Bouncies
    05 Montero LTD LT285/75R16 BFG T/A KO2, Bilstein, OME Springs
    http://www.tuffpans.com

Probably need a new gasket, they are easy to get, replace, and cheap.... So far, I have replace 1x in about 2 years. https://www.amazon.com/Packaging-gas...ialetti+gasket

Quote Originally Posted by SnoViking View Post
    I actually ended up finding (and buying) one of the Stanely Adventure Brew Pot.

I am 90% happy with it. It sits nicely on top of my MSR stove, holds 1L of coffee (which is just enough to get me going in the mornings.....), and the lid/strainer works well. Clean up is pretty easy also.

The 10% I dislike, and it annoys me greatly, is the pouring. The "lip" where you pour from has a radius'ed edge and unless you really commit to pouring it dribbles all down the side of the pot. The "lip" should have a nice clean sharp edge to cut the surface tension of the coffee and help pouring. Design snafus like these rub me wrong! Did the designers/engineers actually try and POUR coffee from the pot before they decided on the final design??? I ended up using a small sanding wheel on the Dremel to correct the problem. And now it pours great.

Anyway.... for $25 it fits the bill and I'm pretty happy with it. I would still recommend it!
    Dragging this one out of the graveyard to ask for an update. I am looking for the exact same thing and the Stanley or Snowpeak(Sorta small) are the only options I've found. So, how's it holding up? Is the filter/seal doing well still?