Single Wall Boil Pot + French Press? That's not $$$

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey Folks, My name is Patrick and I have a problem... I enjoy delicious hot, freshly ground, attentively made coffee in the mornings... evening when I'm camping... ... ... especially when I'm camping! :Wow1:

So here's my situation: Right now, I use an MSR pocket rocket, which boils water within a 1L MSR kettle. Then I pour the 1L of just-past-boiling water from the MSR kettle into a 1L double wall insulated stainless steel french press with coffee grinds, which 5-7 minutes later, results in two, very good, Klean Canteen 16oz tumblers full of delicious coffee... (I wont get into the beans, or the roast, or the grind, the water temp, the water, the brew time, the pixie dust, or all that other junk...) I'm talking hardware here... ... ... ...

So I need help eliminating a 1L pot. Theoretically I should be able to boil the water in a 1L pot, then add coffee grinds, wait, press, and enjoy. Which I can.... for $$$... ... ..

I can buy an 18/10 stainless steel double wall insulated french press for $22 shipped. But I cannot find a 1L single wall pot that I can then press coffee in to save my life. I've looked on BackCountry.com, REI.com, and Amazon.... Am I not search correctly?

I've found the awesome SnowPeak press... which is not 1L and therefore not enough goodness for me in the morning.

I've found the JetBoil Java setup; but I already have a stove.

I've found the MSR windburner coffee press; but again.... I already have a stove.

I'm trying to avoid buying another stove....

I want to buy a $20 single wall stainless french press that I can boil water in.

HELP!

Last edited:

hyperboarder

Adventurer
If you can find one left over at your local Cabela's, they cleared out the Jetboil JavaStein setup for like $22 a while back. Titanium pot and french press, comes with Jetboil attachments but you don't have to use it with a Jetboil. I use mine on a Coleman white gas stove. Retail is $90, so YMMV.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I actually ended up finding (and buying) one of the Stanely Adventure Brew Pot.

I am 90% happy with it. It sits nicely on top of my MSR stove, holds 1L of coffee (which is just enough to get me going in the mornings.....), and the lid/strainer works well. Clean up is pretty easy also.

The 10% I dislike, and it annoys me greatly, is the pouring. The "lip" where you pour from has a radius'ed edge and unless you really commit to pouring it dribbles all down the side of the pot. The "lip" should have a nice clean sharp edge to cut the surface tension of the coffee and help pouring. Design snafus like these rub me wrong! Did the designers/engineers actually try and POUR coffee from the pot before they decided on the final design??? I ended up using a small sanding wheel on the Dremel to correct the problem. And now it pours great.

Anyway.... for $25 it fits the bill and I'm pretty happy with it. I would still recommend it!

stanley-adventure-cook-brew-set-32oz-stainless.MAIN.jpg

plh

Explorer
Bialetti Moka (superior coffee and temperature), never going back.

I love the coffee from my Moka, but the darned thing seams to always leak when pouring between the 2 halves that screw together, so I use it rarely.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..

I am 90% happy with it. It sits nicely on top of my MSR stove, holds 1L of coffee (which is just enough to get me going in the mornings.....), and the lid/strainer works well. Clean up is pretty easy also.

The 10% I dislike, and it annoys me greatly, is the pouring. The "lip" where you pour from has a radius'ed edge and unless you really commit to pouring it dribbles all down the side of the pot. The "lip" should have a nice clean sharp edge to cut the surface tension of the coffee and help pouring. Design snafus like these rub me wrong! Did the designers/engineers actually try and POUR coffee from the pot before they decided on the final design??? I ended up using a small sanding wheel on the Dremel to correct the problem. And now it pours great.

Anyway.... for $25 it fits the bill and I'm pretty happy with it. I would still recommend it!

Dragging this one out of the graveyard to ask for an update. I am looking for the exact same thing and the Stanley or Snowpeak(Sorta small) are the only options I've found. So, how's it holding up? Is the filter/seal doing well still?

I’ve had mine for about a year with at least a dozen nights in the woods and a few dozen more when it was our primary maker during the hurricane.

It has performed flawlessly so far.

I have discovered 1 gripe though- if you leave the lid on while heating (which you have to unless you want to wait even longer for the water to boil), it gets very hot to the touch to pull off and insert the filter assembly.
It’s easily overcome with one of those little silicone pinch potholders, but still.

vartz04

Adventurer
For me I’d sell the MSR stove and switch to the jetboil if this what you really want to do. I love my jetboil flash for this.

Scoutman

Explorer

stanley-adventure-cook-brew-set-32oz-stainless.MAIN.jpg

I'd like to see what you did with the sander to make this pour better. I like ours and it's very convenient to boil and press all in one vessel but I agree the designers overlooked the all important pour.

We've been using ours for a year or so and that's really my only gripe.

Etzu

I always like the JetBoil Java Stein. It's 60oz. Most of our mugs are roughly 16oz so that's 4 very large cups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles