Short video of our new GXV

wrinkledpants

Could you write up in more detail what you did in the cab, and maybe some photos? I'm keen to see how it turned out and how much work it took. I've ridden in the mil versions, and they're a far cry from a unimog or (insert other offroad 4x4 rig) as far as creature comforts and ergonomics. How are the road manners compared to the Sprinter you previously had? I'm making that assumption based on other photos that the Sprinter is what you came out of.

I think I speak for many that we're going to be living vicariously through you :)

srqsup

Observer
Your assumption is correct we came out of a sprinter built by OutsideVan in Portland Or. They IMHO are by far the best at sports oriented Sprinter build outs. It's hard to compare an M1083 to a highly insulted and sound proofed Sprinter. The M1083 compared to an International or a Freigliner is much easier to drive and the visibility is fantastic. I have driven just over 2000 miles this month mostly on back roads going 55mph. The commercial Freigtliners and Internationals are much better at higher highway speeds. But the idea of this project was to enjoy the trip and slow down. Now compared to a Unimog the 1083 leans less and tracks much straighter. In fact I drive it easily with one hand resting on the wheel. Also the AC is ice cold very much unlike a Unimog. The M1083 lacks the sophisticated electronic systems of the Unimog but it's much cheaper and easier to maintain. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
And I will post pics/video of the cab soon.
Thanks again
Martin.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Your assumption is correct we came out of a sprinter built by OutsideVan in Portland Or. They IMHO are by far the best at sports oriented Sprinter build outs. It's hard to compare an M1083 to a highly insulted and sound proofed Sprinter. The M1083 compared to an International or a Freigliner is much easier to drive and the visibility is fantastic. I have driven just over 2000 miles this month mostly on back roads going 55mph. The commercial Freigtliners and Internationals are much better at higher highway speeds. But the idea of this project was to enjoy the trip and slow down. Now compared to a Unimog the 1083 leans less and tracks much straighter. In fact I drive it easily with one hand resting on the wheel. Also the AC is ice cold very much unlike a Unimog. The M1083 lacks the sophisticated electronic systems of the Unimog but it's much cheaper and easier to maintain. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything.
And I will post pics/video of the cab soon.
Thanks again
Martin.

What air conditioner does it have? I know that a bunch of the steel soldiers group are converting (attempting to) install Millitary units with some difficulty.

I too would like to see the vehicle upgrades.

I am looking at doing something similar.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
How long is the box? Can you please show us some pictures of how the frame was extended?

Thanks!

srqsup

Observer
What air conditioner does it have? I know that a bunch of the steel soldiers group are converting (attempting to) install Millitary units with some difficulty.

I too would like to see the vehicle upgrades.

I am looking at doing something similar.

Thanks

It has the standard military AC/heating unit. The AC is icecold and the heater is so powerful that we driveareind with the windows half down and the heat setting on one when the temps are well below freezing.

Last edited:

srqsup

Observer
Thanks!
The box is 21.5" long including the almost 5' garage. More pics and specs are available on our blog twoifoverland.com

Ramdough

Adventurer
I looked for the frame extension pictures but could not find them. Can you take a picture or point me toward a link?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles