Bed rack fabrication for RTT -- 06 Dodge Ram 3500

Scoutman

Explorer
I figured I was getting into this project far enough to post some progress here. The backstory is we had a pop up truck camper for a number of years and it turned into a huge repair project where I worked on it more than I was able to use it. In the end we as a family of 4 felt we were better off going a different direction for a while and wanted to try out a roof top tent. My wife and I have ground tent camped all our lives and our kids (8 and 5) have grown up with a mix of sleeping accommodations. While we really enjoyed the comforts that the truck camper gave, it always seemed to be a challenge to sleep both kids without one of them falling in the floor in the middle of the night and naturally mom never slept well when that was a possibility. We keep feeding them and they keep growing so we knew this situation wasn't going to get any better. We had seriously considered getting a Four Wheel Grandby Shell and building it out the way we wanted but in the end the initial expense and time to outfit seemed too great.

Having sold the TC we had plenty of funding to get just about any RTT we thought would fit us as a family. With the almost daily expansion of brands available the size I wanted for us narrowed it down quickly as only a few offer tents ~8' long. I have a long bed Dodge Ram 3500 so 8' seemed like a good fit and would give us room to grow. In the end CVT won us over and their newly released Summit Series Denali Extended was pre-ordered. I say pre-ordered because the next color coming out for the SS is a gray with black fly. Perfect for my gray truck. It's on it's way across the Pacific as I post this and should be available in September. The goal is to have this usable by Fall Break and OXE-16 in October. :Wow1:

Design ideas. I have a truck toolbox which keeps my fridge locked up and out of the elements and that was something that I wanted to keep. I want to be able to see out my rear view mirror and have clear visibility over my right shoulder (pass side of bed). So most things will be mounted either high, low, or on the left bed side. I want to be able to remove the bed rack with tent attached if I need to haul a 30' gooseneck trailer which I do a few times a year. Since the toolbox stays in place the rack bars had to be high enough to clear the box lid when fully opened. Light, power ports, 3rd brake light, tent power, etc. are also being worked into the design. Stay tuned. :smiley_drive:

IMG_20160415_085035202 (Large).jpg IMG_20160530_170525710 (Large).jpg IMG_20160530_172232091_HDR (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I just built one for my 2500. Have fun!

db365ac7492edef19f610f5f91c41e1d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
I just built one for my 2500. Have fun!

I got caught up on your thread last night. Very nice job. The last I had checked it the rack wasn't built. I had thought of doing my rack similar to yours in that the side bars would bend forward to attach to a front hoop but I'm afraid that won't work to clear my tool box lid. If it did they would have to lean in quite a bit and I'm trying to keep it all pushed outboard and in line with the cab lines as I can.

Scoutman

Explorer
Bed Rails

Purchased some 2"x3"x3/16" angle to cap the bed rails with. Hindsight I could have probably gone with 2x4. The 3/16" thickness allowed me to tap holes for the L-Track and have a good solid foundation for the bars to weld to.

I milled 3 slots to match up with the stake pocket holes in the bed. These give me the misalignment in the tap bolts I need to get the anchor plates in and secured.
IMG_20160730_082529196 (Large).jpg

Marked, drilled, and tap'd 40 holes for the L-track. This should give me plenty of options to mount and secure things in the bed. I had to order some super short counter sunk stainless steel machine screws with a recessed head to not have any threads sticking out the back of the angle. This way when I remove I can lift the rack straight up without having to remove a bunch of hardware.

IMG_20160806_091903543 (Large).jpg IMG_20160806_091920874 (Large).jpg IMG_20160806_091948107 (Large).jpg

There was a lot of milscale on this steel so it took a few flap wheels to get it properly cleaned up before I shot some self etching primer on them. Final paint will probably be a Black hammered Rustoleum.

Scoutman

Explorer
Bending tube

The way I've always bent tube but was never 100% happy with the results.
IMG_20160814_085333044 (Large).jpg

Went ahead and bent the first bar though and it's ok but could be a little better. After some discussions with some other fab buddies I decided to order Bend-Tech EZ and give that a shot.
IMG_20160813_110512781 (Large).jpg

And here's how the forward hoop turned out. Now that I have this software I'm probably going to re-do this one.
IMG_20160813_143803605_HDR (Large).jpg IMG_20160813_143910499 (Large).jpg IMG_20160813_143732819_HDR (Large).jpg

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Bend tech is nice. I use solidworks, not a direct solution for tube bending, but you can get all the angles you need and what not from solidworks.

The toolbox being there is definitely something a little rough to work around.

Scoutman

Explorer
Bend tech is nice. I use solidworks, not a direct solution for tube bending, but you can get all the angles you need and what not from solidworks.

The toolbox being there is definitely something a little rough to work around.

I've used Solidworks for tube projects in the past and agree, it's not the smoothest for tubing but you can make it work. So far I'm pretty impressed with how easy Bend-Tech is. You can have simple tubes designed and ready for the bender in just a matter of a minute. I bent my calibration tube and got all that entered into the software last week so now the next step is to bend something.

Scoutman

Explorer
Got the rails finished and bolted in place and then ran into a issue with how the toolbox mounted. Got that sorted out and the electrical finished to the toolbox (for fridge) and now all is well again. I'll be back to bending tube shortly.

Scoutman

Explorer
Progress

Spent the majority of this past weekend working on the rack. Since the bed tapers from fwd to aft that meant that each of the hoops had to be bent to different dimensions. Using bendtech made this a lot easier but I'm still fighting keeping the legs of these hoops in the same plane. Here's the results from the weekend. I need another stick of tubing and then hope to continue with the progress.

Also the tent came in today. :wings: Excited to get it opened up and inspected this evening. One thing I know is that it is HEAVY!

Unistrut is only up there for a straight edge reference.

IMG_20160917_122540482 (Medium).jpg IMG_20160918_172435937 (Medium).jpg IMG_20160918_172450710_HDR (Medium).jpg IMG_20160918_172504385_HDR (Medium).jpg IMG_20160918_172530054_HDR (Medium).jpg IMG_20160918_172537212_HDR (Medium).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94