Bed rack fabrication for RTT -- 06 Dodge Ram 3500

Scoutman

Explorer
This past rainy weekend in North Georgia.

0155fcf6b980fe1a7c78d68908e8a90d.jpg

403711d1551c1b135ce32fc790cfe308.jpg

4391886cb3f5248d0bf01a1684e5f26d.jpg

3e9959f5e55eaba34176bbc2f4e394c3.jpg

236cd819b4d40cdc1a6b9d2715611e22.jpg

59acd1e7340f94243d6dda80be75cb85.jpg

f8df07fa7390baabc730c84f80a797a6.jpg

6f7e13ddee425e93cafe1e11d2f1c79e.jpg

6cab4291a22224342f9ffa8e3ea036a2.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Scoutman

Explorer
Lately I've been giving some thought to enclosing this structure. I'm really falling for the aluminum canopies like AluCab (and other AUS companies) make but the availability of a unit for a long bed truck is about nil. There are some US aluminum contractor canopies available but I'd like something that didn't look/feel like a 'contractor's truck'. Enclosing the cage would mean more protection from the elements and added security. It also means that there would be less operating out of boxes with lids all the time.

I've also given some thought to selling this tent and going to a hard shell but this means the kids/dog would have to go to a ground tent. In some ways that would be easier.

We'll see.

Kingsize24

IMO your setup is simple and well thought out. I see the desire to enclose for more protection, but everything else looks perfect.

Maybe a simple soft topper would fit the bill, and work with your existing setup?

1838d1406337734-soft-topper-img_0127.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Phase 2 of the electrical system has been in work over the past few weeks. It consists of a Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle battery mounted on the inside frame rail in a custom fabricated battery tray. It will lay on its side with terminals safely pointing inward. Feeding the battery from the truck charging system is a Blue Sea ML-ACR smart relay with manual over ride switch on the dash. 2/0 cables will feed all the primary lines.

Tied into the relay is a Victron 10A AC/DC charger for when we're in shaded campgrounds and have access to shore power or post camping trip to top things back to 100% SOC. If I want to primarily charge the aux battery then I would manually disconnect the ACR with the switch but if in auto or connected mode it would charge all batteries.

To monitor this auxiliary battery I have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. It has a 2" round readout in the dash so I can have at-a-glance knowledge of what's going in or out of the aux battery, voltage, SOC, etc. The shunt will be mounted under the hood but will be in a weather resistant enclosure.

All of the Victron products are Bluetooth enabled to work with the VictronConnect app and will all be compatible with phase 3 which would be solar using a Victron MPPT controller and a 100w panel. Phase 3 only comes if it's needed and that will be determined by how often the SOC gets back to 100% by daily driving and during weekend trips.

The aux battery will be feeding a Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse panel with ground buss which will branch out power for...
-fridge
-bed rack main power
-usb plugs in the cab
-cb in the cab
-other circuits as needed

The power inverter that has been under my drivers seat for a long time will remain but will get a proper circuit breaker instead of the fuse I've had. Since I was re-doing all the battery connections it was a good time to clean things up a bit there.

Another side project is I mounted a second Ram mount ball to the dash for a ham radio mount and just general wiring and dash cleanup. Over the years things had gotten a bit cluttered and it was beginning to bug me.

Pictures coming soon.

Scoutman

Explorer
IMO your setup is simple and well thought out. I see the desire to enclose for more protection, but everything else looks perfect.

Maybe a simple soft topper would fit the bill, and work with your existing setup?

Thank you. I had considered a soft top at one point but while it would provide some weather protection it wouldn't offer any real security. I've decided to just leave it be for the time being. We have a pretty good system of water resistant lockable bins that would keep most folks honest. We are constantly culling things that we don't use or find kit that fits better or just works better with our setup. It's pretty dialed in but it never hurts to think of other options.

jgaz

Adventurer
Phase 2 of the electrical system has been in work over the past few weeks. It consists of a Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle battery mounted on the inside frame rail in a custom fabricated battery tray. It will lay on its side with terminals safely pointing inward. Feeding the battery from the truck charging system is a Blue Sea ML-ACR smart relay with manual over ride switch on the dash. 2/0 cables will feed all the primary lines.

Tied into the relay is a Victron 10A AC/DC charger for when we're in shaded campgrounds and have access to shore power or post camping trip to top things back to 100% SOC. If I want to primarily charge the aux battery then I would manually disconnect the ACR with the switch but if in auto or connected mode it would charge all batteries.

To monitor this auxiliary battery I have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. It has a 2" round readout in the dash so I can have at-a-glance knowledge of what's going in or out of the aux battery, voltage, SOC, etc. The shunt will be mounted under the hood but will be in a weather resistant enclosure.

All of the Victron products are Bluetooth enabled to work with the VictronConnect app and will all be compatible with phase 3 which would be solar using a Victron MPPT controller and a 100w panel. Phase 3 only comes if it's needed and that will be determined by how often the SOC gets back to 100% by daily driving and during weekend trips.

The aux battery will be feeding a Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse panel with ground buss which will branch out power for...
-fridge
-bed rack main power
-usb plugs in the cab
-cb in the cab
-other circuits as needed

The power inverter that has been under my drivers seat for a long time will remain but will get a proper circuit breaker instead of the fuse I've had. Since I was re-doing all the battery connections it was a good time to clean things up a bit there.

Another side project is I mounted a second Ram mount ball to the dash for a ham radio mount and just general wiring and dash cleanup. Over the years things had gotten a bit cluttered and it was beginning to bug me.

Pictures coming soon.
I’d be interested in where you’ve got the Ram ball mounted if you get a chance to post a picture

Boz

Observer
I’d be interested in where you’ve got the Ram ball mounted if you get a chance to post a picture

This is where I have mine in my 06 Ram. Sorry for the horrible picture quality.

Attachments

• 1D37A256-5281-4786-AE4D-1C160FF11735-261-0000001A7F301199.JPG
    1D37A256-5281-4786-AE4D-1C160FF11735-261-0000001A7F301199.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 66

Scoutman

Explorer

This is where I have mine in my 06 Ram. Sorry for the horrible picture quality.
Here are the 2 ram bases. They have a rectangular base that is 1.5"x3" which fits on that ledge pretty well. I had to get creative on hardware placement though. I chose these because I figured the larger surface area and additional hardware would make them more stable. They're in line with the dead space between the vent and radio so I can still see and operate the radio but still have air. The left mount gets an 3" arm and an X grip for my phone with a 6" cable going down to that 4.8A Blue Sea USB port. The right mount I'm trying out having my ham radio mounted with a 2" arm and a 1/4" threaded ball into a mount that a portal member makes

4a5564a1db697a3cce4d33839169c217.jpg
90a46b50c2c0262b0b973a2ba2050e93.jpg
c31c272f672828b4711e7517b7a68d09.jpg
83f160bddec8e9a4c3a1d6a426c8caf4.jpg

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
And here is the insert I made to fit into one of the dash cubbies. It got a dose of epoxy from the back side and the readout mounts here.
82c030d9d4b9b769392149672a680de1.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Thanks for the mounting ideas.
Nice job on the battery tray!

Thanks. I'm slowly working through a mount for the fuse panel and circuit breaker. This weekend ended up being spent on overhauling the yard drainage at home so hopefully back on this project soon.

Scoutman

Explorer
I got some work done on the battery tray this weekend. Drilled 4 holes in the frame and installed 3/8" rivnuts. I also cleaned things up with a sanding disc and wire wheel then applied 2 coats of self etching primer and 2 coats of paint.

Getting closer to having power again. Still need to decide where to mount the shunt.

50ebe98a8dae317672ef0accea63189e.jpg
3435be40decceb4aa85dbe1874ff5db2.jpg

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
Got a lot done this weekend and am starting to see the end of this project.

-Battery tray painted, mounted, and battery secured.
-I found a suitable place for the shunt that is out of the weather and way under the back seat.
-I pulled out most of the drivers side interior to run cables.
-Ran new power lines for everyone in the truck to have high current usb ports for charging devices
-Ran the comms cable for the battery monitor from shunt to display
-General cleaning up of wiring
-Clean the interior in all the hard to get to places
-Wired up the ml-acr control switch.

This evening is head to a buddy's house to make up the 2/0 cables so I can finish this project up this weekend.
b8494683bbefc2c1a987e19ce3ab7f44.jpg
9273531927ba19e8bafee7aa0a687b5b.jpg
3d5ffde683f3e75f1d66b47ef43f82dd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz