Motor home inspections

Chinookflyer

Hi - just joined the portal - a great resource. We are just coming to the end of a trip round northern Oz. we are now starting to think of a much more ambitious trip - Oz to UK. We have lots of questions. One is about motor home registration inspections. We live in Queensland. Motor homes above 4500kg have to be inspected every year. Is there any way to comply with this if the motor home is out of the country for more that a year - I assume you have to keep the vichicle registered in Queensland while traveling. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks - Scott

Tramp

Hi Scott, sorry can't help you with your questions registration inspections but regarding your trip OZ to UK ( Europe) I wouldn't call it ambitious lots of people do it (have done it). I'm toying with the same idea, the plan is to be in Europe mid to end 2018. What's your time frame?

Regards
Tramp
One foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin.

flashkiwi

Hi - just joined the portal - a great resource. We are just coming to the end of a trip round northern Oz. we are now starting to think of a much more ambitious trip - Oz to UK. We have lots of questions. One is about motor home registration inspections. We live in Queensland. Motor homes above 4500kg have to be inspected every year. Is there any way to comply with this if the motor home is out of the country for more that a year - I assume you have to keep the vichicle registered in Queensland while traveling. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks - Scott

Generally you need to have the vehicle registration current as part of border (or Carnet) formalities. Probably best to check with TMR in QLD. I believe they make dispensations for vehicles that are overseas (based on conversation with an QLD registered Earthcruiser owner in the US).

In terms of traveling to UK your biggest issue will be how to freight your motorhome to Asia and which route (Myanmar or China or Russia) or a combination.....

flashkiwi

I spoke to QLD TMR today on an unrelated matter, and also asked them about your problem. Two ways to resolve the annual inspection for motorhomes - one is to take the form you use in QLD for inspection and get it done overseas by a 'reputable' garage (their words not mine) then fax (yes fax) back, or you can apply for an exemption from the Chief Inspector if you have a bona fide reason (which travelling overseas is). It took some digging and the front line staff are not aware of this. Send me a PM and will forward you the phone number of the gentleman at TMR who passed this information on (and was quite happy to assist in option 2). You should also talk to you CTP insurer about a refund when the vehicle is overseas.

Maninga

Adventurer
Or register it in a different state that doesn't require yearly inspections. Victoria and I think WA fit that. Welcome to use my place for registering

Chinookflyer

Many thanks for all the advice. We won't be heading off for 2-3 years but just trying to work out what expedition truck to,buy. Should we go for a earth cruiser type and avoid the registration problem because it is below 4500kg or a larger one like the SLR Aventurer. The other issue is shipping if we don't get it in a shipping container then we have to empty it out completely - is this correct?

All the best and thanks Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles