Remote control cameras/Drones/Quadcopters

moabian

According to the latest from DJI, all orders for the Mavic Pro placed before Nov. 3rd will be "cleared" within 7-8 weeks, putting delivery time around Christmas. There was apparently a problem "integrating a part into the Mavic Pro." More here: http://dronelife.com/2016/11/03/mavic-pro-shipping-update-dji-admits/

I don't have one on order. I've been flying Phantoms since they were first introduced and have been extremely happy with them.

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
AZ & Cal Trip w trailers 15 697.JPG

This is our 3rd time we've ran across these sign's now showing up in Federal parks, will they put and end to private use in the parks?

silvrzuki77

explorer
As far as I know, drones are banned in all national parks...as they should be.

Agree and disagree. I can see the issue no doubt. Specially around popular landmarks and attractions. If I am in the middle of no where, Canyon lands, 4 corners, Death Valley I don't see the issue. Common sense would be ideal but that is lacking it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewtus

Adventurer
Agree and disagree. I can see the issue no doubt. Specially around popular landmarks and attractions. If I am in the middle of no where, Canyon lands, 4 corners, Death Valley I don't see the issue. Common sense would be ideal but that is lacking it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At present, technically, the only agency which has the authority to restrict where you can fly your drone is the FAA. The law that the NPS is using to ban drones is an existing law that bans the use of "mechanical equipment" in national parks. Yes, places out in the middle of nowhere are probably not an issue, but imagine Yellowstone with everyone flying drones. Heck even if only 10% of the traffic there used them it'd be a nightmare. Keep in mind that we're on the forefront of new technology and the role/rules of drones both private and commercial are still being written. In the future, perhaps the NPS will have specific bans in some parks without a blanket ban. Otherwise I have to agree with their decision despite my wish to go film Crater Lake from the air.

Brewtus

Adventurer
But to the OP's question, I'm a fan of the Blade Chroma because you get an all in one package whereas you need an iPad for the DJI. Though the CGO3 camera isn't quite as nice as the DJI and it looks like the interface of the DJI system is much better. Also, my Chroma decided it wanted to go home all on it's own but thought it was a submarine and landed in the middle of a river before I could catch it. Fortunately, it and it's camera survived without any apparent damage. The GPS system could use some work. Perhaps the next gen will be better.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
But to the OP's question, I'm a fan of the Blade Chroma because you get an all in one package whereas you need an iPad for the DJI. Though the CGO3 camera isn't quite as nice as the DJI and it looks like the interface of the DJI system is much better. Also, my Chroma decided it wanted to go home all on it's own but thought it was a submarine and landed in the middle of a river before I could catch it. Fortunately, it and it's camera survived without any apparent damage. The GPS system could use some work. Perhaps the next gen will be better.

I put mine in "full retard" mode once and tried to pull a flip. Flip successful, follow through, umm, not so much. Smacked the ground hard. The CGO3 has a cracked housing, and maybe acts a little buggy sometimes, but otherwise it survived unscathed. I was very impressed it survived at all. Oh yeah, and I don't fly in full manual anymore....the Chroma is VERY powerful and nimble when unburdened of it's computerized control harness, it will get away from you fast.

Brewtus

Adventurer
Haha, I saw the video on their youtube channel where they showed it doing flips and while I was impressed there was a lot of Nope Nope Nope going on in my head about my $1500 camera platform. I fly mine in Agility Mode mostly, you get as much speed as possible without compromising the camera stability. I also find it funny that the "full retard" modes are called Stability and Stagility. I found the "follow" and "tracking" modes to work OK for very slow work when you can have a strong signal, but trying to use it while off-road just means it cuts out a lot unless you strap the controller to the roof of the truck, and then it's limited to like 10 mph. For expedition filming, get yourself a driver and fly from the passenger seat. Also going to do the antenna modifications so I can have a more reliable signal and get a little more range out of the camera transmitter/receiver.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
According to the latest from DJI, all orders for the Mavic Pro placed before Nov. 3rd will be "cleared" within 7-8 weeks, putting delivery time around Christmas. There was apparently a problem "integrating a part into the Mavic Pro." More here: http://dronelife.com/2016/11/03/mavic-pro-shipping-update-dji-admits/

I don't have one on order. I've been flying Phantoms since they were first introduced and have been extremely happy with them.

So....I just walked in the camera shop Saturday, and there was a Mavic sitting behind the counter on a shelf. Now that Mavic is sitting in my office, on my desk :wings:

It is my first DJI, but i flew RC helos for a long time. I can't believe how easy these things are! It is my first trip into aerial photography so my photos aren't great, but it is a blast. Video is pretty good too, but I've noticed some vibration in the footage, especially if you turn using your "rudder"...but that may be common with quad copters (I'm not sure). I think that may be a result of the gimbal being so small. Over all...two thumbs up!

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I'm thinking this section may need an aerial photography thread? Maybe there is one already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne