Remote control cameras/Drones/Quadcopters

moabian

So....I just walked in the camera shop Saturday, and there was a Mavic sitting behind the counter on a shelf. Now that Mavic is sitting in my office, on my desk :wings:

It is my first DJI, but i flew RC helos for a long time. I can't believe how easy these things are! It is my first trip into aerial photography so my photos aren't great, but it is a blast. Video is pretty good too, but I've noticed some vibration in the footage, especially if you turn using your "rudder"...but that may be common with quad copters (I'm not sure). I think that may be a result of the gimbal being so small. Over all...two thumbs up!

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I'm thinking this section may need an aerial photography thread? Maybe there is one already.

You shouldn't be seeing any vibration in your footage...unless it's a Mavic thing. Make sure you've removed all the gimbal packing material. On one of my newer Phantoms, I was very unhappy with the vibrating footage I was getting...until I noticed a discrete piece of styrofoam packing material added to the gimbal that had not been there on previous models. Once I removed it, everything was smooth. You could also check the balance on the props, though most of DJI's props have been very well balanced right out of the box. Not many people even bother to balance props.

I just upgraded to the Phantom 4 Pro...mainly because of the improved camera with the larger 1" sensor. I haven't even had a chance to test it yet...have been too busy studying for the FAA Part 107 drone certification test. I hope to take it within the next week or so. I also flew RC helis (the collective pitch kind) for many years before DJI came out with the original Phantom. I sold all of those machines as soon as I got my first Phantom several years ago. The quads are infinitely easier to fly...and getting easier all the time. I keep looking at the Inspire, but have trouble justifying the cost when the image quality just isn't that much better. I really liked the Inspire's legs-up feature allowing 360-degree gimbal spins until I noticed that is only available when using a second controller.

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
You shouldn't be seeing any vibration in your footage...unless it's a Mavic thing. Make sure you've removed all the gimbal packing material. On one of my newer Phantoms, I was very unhappy with the vibrating footage I was getting...until I noticed a discrete piece of styrofoam packing material added to the gimbal that had not been there on previous models. Once I removed it, everything was smooth. You could also check the balance on the props, though most of DJI's props have been very well balanced right out of the box. Not many people even bother to balance props.

I just upgraded to the Phantom 4 Pro...mainly because of the improved camera with the larger 1" sensor. I haven't even had a chance to test it yet...have been too busy studying for the FAA Part 107 drone certification test. I hope to take it within the next week or so. I also flew RC helis (the collective pitch kind) for many years before DJI came out with the original Phantom. I sold all of those machines as soon as I got my first Phantom several years ago. The quads are infinitely easier to fly...and getting easier all the time. I keep looking at the Inspire, but have trouble justifying the cost when the image quality just isn't that much better. I really liked the Inspire's legs-up feature allowing 360-degree gimbal spins until I noticed that is only available when using a second controller.

There is a gimbal support for when it is packed. If you forget to take it off it does cause issues.

I'm only seeing this issue when turning using rudder (left stick), so it could be a blade balance issue. The mavic has folding blades, so definitely not out of the question. I'm very happy with it though. I'm at work now, but I'll see if I can snag a photo off my dropbox. My internet was super slow at home last night so I didn't even bother trying to upload a picture.

Here we go:
DJI_0008.png

v_man

Explorer
Cool Pic ^^^ . I have a Phantom 3 pro, I've strongly considered a Mavic or Phantom 4 but I can't justify the cost when my Phantom 3 does 95% of the things I want it to do ....

I use a bunch of drone shots in my vids, it just adds variety to the usual camera-mounted-on-the-truck shots...My latest vid here with some drone shots....

Ryan Rogers

Adventurer
Here is a quick little clip I shot this morning on the river by my house:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/anaverageexplorer/videos/1725495061099035/[/video]

It is just a quick clip, but I loved the fog hanging over the river!

davidberman

Hey, thanks for asking. You can do all this by a drone. With the help of drone you can make beautiful photo and videos. If you want to all beginner guide about drones, you can go through 3dinsider.com/beginner-drones/ to collect all information.

homeguy

Observer
I’ve got a phantom 4 and love it. Here’s a good pic from Moab.
c983616b60329c5c5739f33e6587c86d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rayra

Expedition Leader
Surprised I'm not seeing a lot more 'follow me' drone vids in this community. It seems like a natural adjunct of this hobby / lifestyle / generation.

It's been a very long tim esince I flew any RC aircraft, never flew a helicopter and only have a few minutes on quads. But I'm thinking about jumping right in the deep end with a DJi Spark. It looks like a fantastic machine. And it's only twice the price of some used Phantom IIIs. Which is what I OUGHT to start with, being <$300.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Surprised I'm not seeing a lot more 'follow me' drone vids in this community. It seems like a natural adjunct of this hobby / lifestyle / generation.

It's been a very long tim esince I flew any RC aircraft, never flew a helicopter and only have a few minutes on quads. But I'm thinking about jumping right in the deep end with a DJi Spark. It looks like a fantastic machine. And it's only twice the price of some used Phantom IIIs. Which is what I OUGHT to start with, being <$300.

One of the concerns I've had with &#8220;follow me&#8221; drones is what automatic obstacle avoidance options is included. Much of the terrain I'd like to use mine isn't real easy to navigate unless you are at a decent altitude. I'd be nervous letting it run on follow me mode.

toyotech

Expedition Leader

I would love to use the follow me more but I have and p3standard and I drive mainly it heavy tree area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles