Remote control cameras/Drones/Quadcopters

Hello all,

I'm starting to see a bunch of videos being put out that are using footage taken from remote control aircraft as part of camping videos. I like this kind of footage, but I don't know anything about how to make such a thing.

What would a good started vehicle be? What should I know before I try to purchase one? Are they rainproof?

I've noticed that the expensive ones use ham radio frequencies for control. I'm already a ham so that shouldn't be an issue. We only have 12v power while out since I don't bring a generator. Which of these aircraft can be recharged from a 12v source?

At this point I don't even know where to begin. Any help would be awesome!

moabian

What you have been seeing is probably drone or quadcopter footage...and chances are most of it was taken with a DJI Phantom. DJI is the gazillion-lb gorilla in the drone market. With GPS stabilization and Hazard Avoidance, the newest quads almost fly themselves. I started flying radio-controlled collective pitch helis about 15 years ago. Back then, they were VERY hard to fly. Even the cheapest and most rudimentary stabilization add-ons cost thousands of dollars. Mine were never stabilized.

You can't go wrong with a DJI Phantom. I've owned just about every generation of the Phantom over the past several years. There are several models ranging from about $500 and up. They come complete with everything you need...camera, gimbal, controller and more. They come with AC chargers but there is a 12-volt charger available. Every day, more and more manufacturers are getting into the market. DJI is not the only choice, but I have always had great luck with them.

As easy as these things are to fly now, I would still recommend practicing on a computer simulator such as RealFlight. Actually, I think the newest Phantom software might include a simulator.

As for rain, I wouldn't fly in it. But I did drop a Phantom into about 4 feet of water once. After a few days of drying out, it flew just fine.

Proper battery storage is very important. The batteries are hazardous. Store them at about 30% capacity in a cool place. Do Not store fully-charged batteries for extended periods. They will swell and go bad. Been there...done that.

Just about any bozo can fly a drone now...so please don't be one of the growing number of bozos. Fly safely and conscientiously.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Start here:
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

If you are not interested in aviation or plan to take up piloting remote aircraft as an interest in itself, I urge you to avoid buying one. Too many people right now have no interest in operating an aircraft yet are sending these up for photography with little to no concern for responsibly flying an "aircraft."

While small and fun, they are not toys.

If you get past that and decide you are a responsible enough person to be trusted flying around (just give a crap being the primary requirement) the market is full of nice photography platforms at prices most of us can afford.

First, I'd get a $30 or so micro drone. Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=micro+drone'
They fit in the palm of your hand. You can fly it in the comfort of your living room.

The controller layout is typically identical to the larger ones so you get familiar with how they behave. They are actually more difficult to fly than the camera drones due to being highly maneuverable and sensitive. If you can keep one under control in your living room, you likely have a good enough grasp of the controls and behavior to be trusted with the bigger version, which have a lot more stability assistance on board. However that living room, live feedback training is just like playing with a toy and you'll feel like a big kid, but it really does give you skills.

DJI is the popular name but Blade and Yuneec make very nice camera drones as well. I have my eye on a Yuneec Typhoon H. I currently own a Blade Chroma.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
there is one drone that you connect a sensor on you and it follows you. Thats the one I want. and you can program it to fly different patterns. Very cool!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
It's still only in Pre-order status and I notice the camrera is not on a stabilized gyro, but still a super cool idea the other manufacturers should copy asap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

Cool, very cool, but unless there is more to it's operation than shown, I can see lots of reasons why the FAA might not like that too much.

In the updated regs the FAA hit out pretty directly at remote flying drones in a "follow me" mode, pretty much describing it as a "reckless" activity. It still allows for operations from a moving vehicle "in sparsely populated areas" showing they recognize it can be done with some considerations, but makes pretty clear they don't like the practice very well in the form most people seem keen on using it.

It's easy to get confused between Commercial regs and Recreational regs, but for the most part they are the same, recreational use still requires you to be in control of the drone and have eyes on it.

Biggest problem I see with this is it encourages flying without pilot control or direct supervision. Eyes are not going to be on your drone while you are snowboarding or whitewater kayaking. It's also going to be hard to show you have control over it when best I can tell your "controller" is a GPS puck.

I can see plenty of people "getting away" with flying these for "recreational" use at first anyway. I think if something like that were to take off and get very popular, we will see further restrictions on drone use and more requirements to be deemed suitable to fly one.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
Totally agree that modern "drones" or similar quadcopters are not toys, and flying one requires licensing at least in the USA. I also agree in some part with starting small or micro to learn how these devices react in some circumstances, but the more expensive ones have safety settings as well as rudimentary obstacle avoidance on more recent models that assist with the safety aspects associated with them. Check out 3d Robotics youtube page for some pretty good information on getting started which in my opinion apply to all "drones"

If you are serious about getting into these, take your time and learn the capabilities of the aircraft, the user, and the regulations that apply to their use.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
Here is another avenue to train on "drones" or quadcopters. Simulators are available that use similar controls that allow the user to hone their skills in a digital environment. Probably the best part about these simulators is that they offer the ability to just push resent if you do something wrong and crash which saves on repair parts or replacement of your new photography tool.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/drone-flight-simulator/

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Biggest problem I see with this is it encourages flying without pilot control or direct supervision. Eyes are not going to be on your drone while you are snowboarding or whitewater kayaking. It's also going to be hard to show you have control over it when best I can tell your "controller" is a GPS puck.

Exactly. Drones have an issue flying into trees or other objects even when under control of a pilot. I think usable auto avoidance of hazards is a long way off for drones, especially for budget and kickstarter models.

What I really like is the idea of the camera gimbal being able to auto track the target while the pilot worries about flying. Advanced drone models have the option for 2 pilots, one for the drone, and one to aim the camera. This hockey puck target to control the camera would make it easy for 1 pilot to get good footage without having to fly AND worry about framing his subject.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
Obstacle Avoidance and "Follow Me" modes

Totally agree that "in control" of the aircraft while it is in follow me mode is technically a gray area when it comes to how these things work. An example is the 3dr Solo has a feature that follows the user or controller, but in situations where the aircraft link between the controller and aircraft is broken the aircraft will simply land. However, these features really only work in flat unobstructed areas as they do not account for the elevation differences or changes in elevation relationship between the controller or aircraft which can result in a crash.

DJI Phantom 4 has some impressive obstacle avoidance, but it is limited by the fact that the arc that the avoidance is only about 180 degrees from the front of the aircraft.
Here is a video that tests the obstacle avoidance on a Phantom 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngTHTbX4fls

Most more modern drones that are commercially available for hobbyists have features that make them safer in most situations for new pilots, but there is a significant penalty for failure. My personal story regarding these features; I was trying to take a pan shot of my Jeep, but the metal body caused interference which resulted in the aircraft slamming into the side of my Jeep and crashing. Fortunately no damage was caused to my Jeep, but I did ruin a couple of blades for my 3dr Solo.

paranoid56

Adventurer
anybody check out the new offerings from gopro and dji? I used the dji phantom for a bit, but hated how huge it is and how much space it takes up. but these new ones are super small. leaning towards the dji one right now, about 1k and great range. and dont forget the 20buck reg fee with the FAA lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles