KL Cherokee trailhawk owners, chime in?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Well,

My wife and I have been loving our patriot since we got it. We have been driving it twice as much as we have been driving my JK. We just think its more comfortable etc. Also, it is MUCH better on gas than my jeep. The other thing to is my jeep is getting long in the tooth with some repairs going to be needed sooner than later. We have been talking about about trading up for a new JK. That has changed since I am getting tired of driving a brick around in all the wind we get here in Newfoundland. So, we have been talking about getting a trailhawk cherokee to replace my JK. With the modificaitons we are looking at doing to it, it will easily handle our type of off roading and not have issues. The best part is that its more comfortable, better on gas (by a long shot), and has better driving manners than my ole lifted JK unlimited. We rented a North 4 cyl in Montreal last fall and LOVED it. It was a great vehicle and very comfortable. I think it is going to serve us quite well.

We are looking at adding the following to it before we take posession

OME hybrid lift (1.25")
255/75/17 AT tires of some sort
1.25" wheel spacers
RRO winch mount with light bar and skid plate
RRO step sliders
Gobi Stealth with ladder
Cobra x75 cb
wilson booster for our phones
tablet mount for ipad mini
40" onx6 racer edition spot in the gobi
squadron xl80 on the RRO mount
squardon amber wide beam on the RRO mount
2 s2 on the rear for backup scene duties
Smittybilt fridge and swag action packers inside
And a travall gear barricade behind the back seats.

Im sure there is more little stuff but thats the main build

Any owners here have insight on the trailhawk and their thoughts on them?

MzPriss

Observer
I just brought home the 2016 Cherokee 75th Anniversary Edition. I love it so far. To my understanding there is no lift available for it in the US yet, so my plans are to drive the tread off the stock set up and hope that something becomes available when I am ready to reshoe her. I'll be towing my little expo trailer behind her, so the only other mods after lift/tires/rims at that time will be the front bumper, skid plate, winch.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

There is NO OFFICAL lift, but you can use OME parts and get 1.25" of lift.....google it, its easy and does no harm to your rig.

kojackJKU

cool, I am buying used. The requirements are trailhawk, and trailer tow. Other than that price dictates the rig. Most colors are nice too soo thats not a huge concern.

vhercules

the cherokee trailhawk is very capable in stock form and doubt if you really will need a lift unless you do hardcore rock crawling stuff.
Here is a video of the trailhawk in moab ... pretty cool, keeping up with the wrangler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJBr9O-u8g

are you planning on the 4cyl or 6 cyl ?

the one person I know is very happy with a 4cy trailhawk, it is actually mostly a mall crawler for his wife :) the only off road it sees is trips to their cottage up north during winters where they plow thru unplowed snow with no issues.

kojackJKU

I have to go with the 6 because of the trailer tow package. I know its very capable stock, but Ya'know. I gotta lift it. There a places that I go with my wrangler now, that I cross dried rocky river beds, that all clearance is needed.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'm not aware of any "OME hybrid" lift for the KL, so I'm assuming you're referring to the homebrew modified strut and coil spacer lift? While I have no firsthand experience with it, I'll admit that this has definitely piqued my interest in the Cherokee since the lack of ground clearance is the Cherokee's biggest limiting factor; with the poor articulation from IFS/IRS, you're forced to take lines that will require more ground clearance. And apparently I'm not the only one who's been excited about this easy suspension lift, as there are several internet forums, facebook groups, and even Jalopnik talking about it.

kojackJKU

Yes I am referring to the home brew lift. You use ome spacers to achieve the lift. Lots of people have been running this lift with no ill effects wat so ever. Fairly safe to run.

Long Rifle

Observer
New member-first post. We have a 2014 JKUR lifted, etc and a 2015 Trailhawk. Two very different and somewhat similar vehicles. We have as much but different "fun" in the Cheorkee than the Wrangler. The lack of clearance and poor articulation are limiting but it is still an amazing vehicle for light off roading. Since we have the Rubicon, we will not be modifying the Trailhawk other than better tires (sidewall is poor on stock ones). Would I take it to Moab-no would use the Rubicon-but many do. Just got back recently from some easy trails in Nevada-hit the skidplate once. Have only needed low range one time but sure is nice along with the rear locker to know it is available. Many have reported quality issues-ours has been flawless other that a couple of software updates for transmission. Much more comfortable on the highway so always a factor if we are traveling further and not getting too far into the backcountry.

MzPriss

Observer
Hazard Sky offers a very inexpensive kit to add about an inch, achieved by spacers. If you Google Hazard Sky lift, you should be able to find it.

Last edited:

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Yes I am referring to the home brew lift. You use ome spacers to achieve the lift. Lots of people have been running this lift with no ill effects wat so ever. Fairly safe to run.

Got it. I was a little confused because you specifically mentioned OME spacers, but I think that literally every company on Earth who makes coil spacers makes them for the TJ/XJ/ZJ/MJ/WJ coils, and these should all work with little to no mods on the KL. I used TJ spacers in my Sidekicks and Trackers too; one of the simplest and safest ways to achieve a little boost in height. The only thing to watch out for is the extended length of the shocks, since you may find that you "top out" the rear suspension when you install these coils. Some longer shocks or modified shock mounts would address this, but you also need to watch the extension and length of the rear CV shafts when pushing the suspension downtravel beyond the OEM limits.

Septu

Explorer
I don't own one, but have been driving one as a loaner for the last little bit, and absolutely love it. It couldn't replace my JK simply due to where I take it... but damn if it wouldn't be a great little DD vehicle that's easily capable of pulling my m101 and doing some moderate trails and exploring.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
We need a picture of Septu running Alligator in the rented Trail Hawk. But probably best to post that after the JK is finished... :elkgrin:

I have no first hand experience with this vehicle, but think this would be a really fun vehicle to employ light weight upgrades. Like aluminum bumpers-skids. Light winch with synthetic line.
Carbon fiber hood, fenders. Chrome moly rock sliders.
Would make an awesome concept vehicle to move forward from this awesome concept:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/jeep-grand-cherokee-trailhawk-ii-concept/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles