Drove a Tacoma Yesterday

bijanjames

Adventurer
This is not a Tacoma bashing post, having owned 3 first gens, and other Toyotas, I understand and appreciate their popularity. I detail cars in my garage as my second job. I usually only work on high end vehicles (I'm expensive), but yesterday a customer had a 13' Tacoma extend cab TRD 6 speed, with 39k on the clock. I haven't driven a 2nd gen in quiet some time, and was actually pretty excited to pick his truck up. Having had just driven my truck, I was looking forward to a comparison. First: The clutch had a very noticeable creak, I looked it up and found the tsb for the replacement of the clutch arm and master cylinder, no big deal. Second: The driving position was awkward and the visibility was compromised compared to the Frontier. Third: The ergonomics were, in my opinion, not as "clean" as the Nissan. The gauges are rather bulbous and don't give you as much information, i.e., no oil pressure or battery info. Fourth: The drivetrain has a significant amount of slack with the 6 speed, more than the Frontier. Fifth: I'm not a fan of the emergency brake, although that's what I was used to for years. Sixth: Rear drum brakes...Seventh: C Channel frame...

Now what I liked. First: The stick felt better than mine, shorter throws, and an overall quality feel. Second: The seats were very nice, great bolstering, and nice upholstery. Third: Factory rocker panel height is huge! In stock form the rocker panels are the same height as my truck with 2 inches of lift and slightly larger tires. Granted, the drivetrain hangs lower on the Tacoma, while the Frontier has all the drivetrain between the frame rails. Fourth: The front IFS layout is a better design, more down travel, and ride compliance. Fifth: tailgate is much lighter, I have no idea why the Frontiers tailgate has to be so heavy.

All in all its a shock to me why the Nissan is out sold 4 to 1. It's all in the marketing I guess. The reliability on both trucks, according to consumer reports, edmunds, etc...is the same. Consumer Reports only recommends the Frontier out of the two. There both great trucks, you really can't go wrong with either, but I highly recommend a back to back test drive before making your decision.

Last edited:

bigskypylot

Explorer
This is not a Tacoma bashing post, having owned 3 first gens, and other Toyotas, I understand and appreciate their popularity. I detail cars in my garage as my second job. I usually only work on high end vehicles (I'm expensive), but yesterday a customer had a 13' Tacoma extend cab TRD 6 speed, with 39k on the clock. I haven't driven a 2nd gen in quiet some time, and was actually pretty excited to pick his truck up. Having had just driven my truck, I was looking forward to a comparison. First: The clutch had a very noticeable creak, I looked it up and found the tsb for the replacement of the clutch arm and master cylinder, no big deal. Second: The driving position was awkward and the visibility was compromised compared to the Frontier. Third: The ergonomics were, in my opinion, not as "clean" as the Nissan. The gauges are rather bulbous and don't give you as much information, i.e., no oil pressure or battery info. Fourth: The drivetrain has a significant amount of slack with the 6 speed, more than the Frontier. Fifth: I'm not a fan of the emergency brake, although that's what I was used to for years. Sixth: Rear drum brakes...Seventh: C Channel frame...

Now what I liked. First: The stick felt better than mine, shorter throws, and an overall quality feel. Second: The seats were very nice, great bolstering, and nice upholstery. Third: Factory rocker panel height is huge! In stock form the rocker panels are the same height as my truck with 2 inches of lift and slightly larger tires. Granted, the drivetrain hangs lower on the Tacoma, while the Frontier has all the drivetrain between the frame rails. Fouth: The front IFS layout is a better design, more down travel, and ride compliance. Fifth: tailgate is much lighter, I have no idea why the Frontiers tailgate has to be so heavy.

All in all its a shock to me why the Nissan is out sold 4 to 1. It's all in the marketing I guess. The reliability on both trucks, according to consumer reports, edmunds, etc...is the same. Consumer Reports only recommends the Frontier out of the two. There both great trucks, you really can't go wrong with either, but I highly recommend a back to back test drive before making your decision.

Nice objective review! Now to go test a 2016 or 17 at your local dealership! I've heard they are nice but the powertrain seems to hunt for gears a lot.

bigskypylot

Explorer
My Pro4 has it's moments where it does the same ... even with OD switched off ....

I hear ya there. I've just heard from more than a few people that it likes to hunt. Until I drive one, I can't say with certainty. My Xterra doesn't do it as much since i went with a LevelTen trans build. It does carry the gears quite well.

Obrianmcc

Observer
I hear ya there. I've just heard from more than a few people that it likes to hunt. Until I drive one, I can't say with certainty. My Xterra doesn't do it as much since i went with a LevelTen trans build. It does carry the gears quite well.

I would assume most of the mid sizes are similar. OEM's gearing the high end a bit tall for economy? ... Probably why XO re-gears all their Tacomas?

bigskypylot

Explorer
I would assume most of the mid sizes are similar. OEM's gearing the high end a bit tall for economy? ... Probably why XO re-gears all their Tacomas?

Definitely. I'll eventually regear. Just not sure I'd go as high as what XO does. They are 4.56 or 4.88. I'm thinking 4.10

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Details! What did you not like about it? What DID you like about it?

Hate the low seating position, it's like you are sitting on the floor.

Can't see out of it very well, especially the back window.

The knob for 4wd is right next to the A/C-heater controls, I engaged it on accident.

Rear windows down but front up and it has a very loud and annoying, whomp whomp whomp noise.

Interior is butt ugly.

When you stomp on it it revs but doesn't feel like it is doing much else.

There was more I dislike but have forgotten because I pushed that out of my mind! ;)

What do I like? The XM radio is ok. The back up camera is kind of ok but I am sure won't last no 25yr like Land Cruiser stuff does. I do like the slap stick trans and it's shifter, I drive my autos like manuals so to me I like the slap stick. I liked the steering wheel controls and the display on the dash is kind of cool, like a scan gauge but shows way less info. That is about all I liked on it.

I had a very very nice 04 Taco, the last good year of them in my opinion. I would never ever buy a new one. They just plain suck. Don't even know why people think they are so great, it's like a truck that wants to be full sized but can't. Toyota should have kept it small sized like they always were. This half arsed mid-sized whatever it is is just plan lame.

Cheers

bigskypylot

Explorer
Hate the low seating position, it's like you are sitting on the floor.

Can't see out of it very well, especially the back window.

The knob for 4wd is right next to the A/C-heater controls, I engaged it on accident.

Rear windows down but front up and it has a very loud and annoying, whomp whomp whomp noise.

Interior is butt ugly.

When you stomp on it it revs but doesn't feel like it is doing much else.

There was more I dislike but have forgotten because I pushed that out of my mind! ;)

What do I like? The XM radio is ok. The back up camera is kind of ok but I am sure won't last no 25yr like Land Cruiser stuff does. I do like the slap stick trans and it's shifter, I drive my autos like manuals so to me I like the slap stick. I liked the steering wheel controls and the display on the dash is kind of cool, like a scan gauge but shows way less info. That is about all I liked on it.

I had a very very nice 04 Taco, the last good year of them in my opinion. I would never ever buy a new one. They just plain suck. Don't even know why people think they are so great, it's like a truck that wants to be full sized but can't. Toyota should have kept it small sized like they always were. This half arsed mid-sized whatever it is is just plan lame.

Cheers

Good to know. I never wanted a Taco. If I get anything else, It'll be a 7.3 Excursion, F250 and ultimately an EarthRoamer. I love my Xterra so that's where my attention is for now.

broncobowsher

Adventurer

Now what I liked. First: The stick felt better than mine, shorter throws, and an overall quality feel. Second: The seats were very nice, great bolstering, and nice upholstery. Third: Factory rocker panel height is huge! In stock form the rocker panels are the same height as my truck with 2 inches of lift and slightly larger tires. Granted, the drivetrain hangs lower on the Tacoma, while the Frontier has all the drivetrain between the frame rails. Fourth: The front IFS layout is a better design, more down travel, and ride compliance. Fifth: tailgate is much lighter, I have no idea why the Frontiers tailgate has to be so heavy.

The Tacoma tailgate lives up to the name of "taco". They are well known for being weak and bending under mundane loads. The Frontier tailgate has extra beef where it is needed and takes normal use without bending.

bigskypylot

Explorer
The Tacoma tailgate lives up to the name of "taco". They are well known for being weak and bending under mundane loads. The Frontier tailgate has extra beef where it is needed and takes normal use without bending.
Would it be appropriate to call it a "Soft" taco then? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior