3rd Gen 4Runner to JKUR

smoltz

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner. Stock. I use for daily driving and some weekend travel. Anyone gone from this 4R to a JKUR? I've gone for a couple test drives but couldn't pull the trigger. Seems a little tight. Little noisy. For me I would order a hard top and never take it off. If my 4R weren't such a rust bucket I would probably build it up a bit but 20 years in New England has taken its toll. Have considered an 80 series but nothing around here and I don't really have the time to go chasing leads down around the US to find something decent. Also not crazy about 13mpg.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
My personal opinion, based on your comments, is that you should stick with Toyota. If you don't go off-road much and won't take the top off, I don't see why you would consider a Jeep. Even with the hardtop, they're kinda noisy and it's true, they get terrible gas mileage. They are nothing like Toyotas. I love my Jeep, I think they are far more fun to drive than Toyotas. But I also willingly accept the sacrifices that come with it. If you didn't love it the first time you drove it, stick with the 4Runner, they're nice trucks and you likely won't be disappointed. Perhaps you should test drive a Sahara too. Won't help with the noise or gas mileage, but a better ride than the Rubicon. A Grand Cherokee may also fit your needs. I hope this helps.

smoltz

Did You test a new JKUR?

Yeah I have test driven on a few occasions and not completely sold. I like the capabilities of the JKUR stock. And I generally like the size as many of the "compact" SUVs available today are considerably larger than my 3rg gen.

While I have test driven I also realize that a 20 minute test drive isn't a thourough evaluation hence why i am looking for people that made the switch to provide thoughts.

Last edited:

smoltz

My personal opinion, based on your comments, is that you should stick with Toyota. If you don't go off-road much and won't take the top off, I don't see why you would consider a Jeep. Even with the hardtop, they're kinda noisy and it's true, they get terrible gas mileage. They are nothing like Toyotas. I love my Jeep, I think they are far more fun to drive than Toyotas. But I also willingly accept the sacrifices that come with it. If you didn't love it the first time you drove it, stick with the 4Runner, they're nice trucks and you likely won't be disappointed. Perhaps you should test drive a Sahara too. Won't help with the noise or gas mileage, but a better ride than the Rubicon. A Grand Cherokee may also fit your needs. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. When I was referring to terrible mileage I was referring to 80 series actually. I think a pentastar JKUR will probably get around what I get with my 3rd gen. 17-20ish?

New 4R is just too big.

GC is a nice car but not what I'm looking for.

Have you owned both a 3rd gen (or 1st gen Tacoma ) and a JKU? I would be interested in your thoughts on pros / cons?

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have to agree.
Wranglers do some things great; acting like an SUV isn't one of them.
A Wrangler shines offroad. And it's fun to build.
But they tend to leak, creak, rattle. They're spartan, uncouth, and sometimes unwieldly. But I wouldn't trade mine for two Toyotas.

Stay with Toyota. Chrysler is running jeep into the ground (or the mall parking lot).
I have to disagree.
Jeeps have never worked or sold better.

tarditi

Explorer
I've had several jeep wranglers and they do continuously improve.

While not coming from a 4r to a JKUR, I came from an Xterra to a (another) JKUR and it was fine. If you don't plan to go offroad much or remove the top, you really aren't capitalizing on the strengths of the platform... that said, few people can rationalize a Jeep Wrangler purchase - if you're trying to convince yourself, this probably isn't the right vehicle for you - you'll not be happy.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I drive a new Unlimited Rubicon (hard top) for work. Just drove it on a 1200 mile trip.....it is extremely capable off road, can fit a bunch of gear, and quite fun on low speed highways but they are a bit loud, tiring, and unwieldy on the interstate. Pulled 20mpg round trip with a lot lot of dirt so mileage is impressive for what it is especially with km2 tires. However, the interior/fit and finish is exceedingly cheap for a nearly $40k vehicle and 4low on the Rubicon is too low for a lot of stuff. I get the allure and the quality is leaps and bounds better than old ones and it's impressive that they can build something so capable yet pretty ok on the highway. All that said I personally wouldn't buy one unless I really really needed the capability offroad from the factory.

It was a relief to get back in my 15 year old Montero Sport (very similar to 3rd gen 4runner)....I would go for a 4th gen 4runner, or a new Tacoma (drives very nice), GX470, Xterra, Subaru Forester, or a Montero.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It's all about adventure

I have a 3rd gen 4Runner. Stock. I use for daily driving and some weekend travel. Anyone gone from this 4R to a JKUR? I've gone for a couple test drives but couldn't pull the trigger. Seems a little tight. Little noisy. For me I would order a hard top and never take it off. If my 4R weren't such a rust bucket I would probably build it up a bit but 20 years in New England has taken its toll. Have considered an 80 series but nothing around here and I don't really have the time to go chasing leads down around the US to find something decent. Also not crazy about 13mpg.

If the Wrangler doesn't "stir your soul", definitely do not buy one! There are so many idiosyncrasies to a Wrangler it would drive you mad.
It is not an SUV, at least not by modern standards.

What it is... is; an E ticket ride to adventure and fun. Everything else is a kiddy ride in comparison. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just getting out and enjoying this country is awesome. But the Wrangler is not the choice for refined adventure. It is rough and tumble. It rewards those not afraid to get their hands dirty to go further down the path. It punishes those who want a chauffeured excursion through life.

I think the 4Runner (TRD Pro?), or G.C. Overland would be more fitting for what you want. Hope one of those stir your soul, like the Wrangler does mine. :beer:

Good luck on your choice. :)

Attachments

• Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    Deer-Valley-Trail.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Day-2-Views.jpg
    Day-2-Views.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Beach-driving.jpg
    Beach-driving.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Snow-poser.jpg
    Snow-poser.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Between-Snake-and-Deer-Lake.jpg
    Between-Snake-and-Deer-Lake.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 5

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Dustin and Scott really hit the nail on the head.

When I first got in a Jeep for a test drive I was clean shaven. When I finished the drive, I had a beard and my pants fit awful tight around the groin. I spoke in grunts. The only true word I formed was "want".
I never drove anything else that did that to me. ...but I haven't driven a Unimog yet; only driven in them...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input. When I was referring to terrible mileage I was referring to 80 series actually. I think a pentastar JKUR will probably get around what I get with my 3rd gen. 17-20ish?

New 4R is just too big.

GC is a nice car but not what I'm looking for.

Have you owned both a 3rd gen (or 1st gen Tacoma ) and a JKU? I would be interested in your thoughts on pros / cons?

How is a 4Runner just too big? It's shorter than a jku and maybe an 1" wider.

SoDakSooner

Adventurer
If the Wrangler doesn't "stir your soul", definitely do not buy one! There are so many idiosyncrasies to a Wrangler it would drive you mad.
It is not an SUV, at least not by modern standards.

What it is... is; an E ticket ride to adventure and fun. Everything else is a kiddy ride in comparison. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just getting out and enjoying this country is awesome. But the Wrangler is not the choice for refined adventure. It is rough and tumble. It rewards those not afraid to get their hands dirty to go further down the path. It punishes those who want a chauffeured excursion through life.

I think the 4Runner (TRD Pro?), or G.C. Overland would be more fitting for what you want. Hope one of those stir your soul, like the Wrangler does mine. :beer:

Good luck on your choice. :)

Pretty much nailed it...and be ready to spend some cash if you do buy one.

20160506_201841.jpgflex.JPG20160507_131841.jpgrc2.jpgrc1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz