I got here as fast as I could - '04 Suburban Z71

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Hi, I'm new here!

My family and I just picked up our first real 4x4! 2004 Suburban, Z71, all options including G80 locker. 170k, spotless and tidy:

Photo Aug 21, 6 20 34 PM.jpg

We just recently moved to the Pacific Northwest. We needed something to haul us and all of our stuff while we explore this beautiful part of the country.

This rig needs nothing, but I'm definitely inspired by a few amazing 'Burbs here:

I spent all afternoon washing/claying/waxing—but honestly, I can't wait to get her dirty.

Cheers!

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips! It's a 1500, but ride is still super tight. I plan on adjusting the torsion bars a bit to bring the nose up.

Moved up from an Acura MDX. AWD system was great, but too small and basically just a tall car.

Thanks for the welcome!

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Nice ride! I'm a noob and never examined the Z71 package entirely, is there a switch for the locker? or is it standard on all Z71s? Thanks in advance!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice ride! I'm a noob and never examined the Z71 package entirely, is there a switch for the locker? or is it standard on all Z71s? Thanks in advance!

The Z71 was basically a trim package that included a different luggage rack, 17" "Snowflake" wheels, taller springs and (I think) better shocks. Generally speaking, Z71 models tend to be "loaded" with lots of options like sunroof, 2nd row buckets, leather, etc, although these items are not technically part of the "Z71" package. For that matter, I don't believe the G80 locker is part of the Z71 package either (corrections welcomed) so while it's possible to have a Z71 with no locker, in reality it would be tough to find one (again, since the Z71's were the top-of-the-line model and tended to have almost all available options.) FWIW my LT model (non-Z71) has almost every option including the locker.

And no, the G80 does not have a switch. I believe it is a clutch-operated LSD or locker that kicks in when it detects a significant difference between the spin of the left and right wheels.

SouthTXplorer

Observer
Martin, thanks so much for the info! Sorry to jump in on this thread! Looking forward to seeing the progress on your ride tbisaacs!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hi, I'm new here!

My family and I just picked up our first real 4x4! 2004 Suburban, Z71, all options including G80 locker. 170k, spotless and tidy:

View attachment 362573

We just recently moved to the Pacific Northwest. We needed something to haul us and all of our stuff while we explore this beautiful part of the country.

This rig needs nothing, but I'm definitely inspired by a few amazing 'Burbs here:

I spent all afternoon washing/claying/waxing—but honestly, I can't wait to get her dirty.

Cheers!

Welcome! Clean looking rig and good choice. Timely post as I haven't been on here since May. Thanks for the shoutout, much appreciated. What are your plans with it? I find its best to spend some time with a rig stock for awhile to help figure out what upgrades are most needed for your uses. That way you can prioritize the stuff you feel you might need most. But yeah, I have learned a ton on here from the other users who have way more experience than I with these vehicles and have admittedly done alot more research than I. haha Lots of great ideas and experiences.

Burb One

Adventurer
There are the best starting platforms for hauling people on and off road, great start! (We are matching except I don't have z71)

Martin- I believe you are correct the G80 was not included in the Z71 package for GMT800's, it was simply a 900-1200 option depending on the year
The G80 or "gov lock" is basically a detriot locker, with a mechanism that will disengage and stop the locker from locking over a certain speed (~25 mph). Best thing about them is that will stop it from locking up on you around a corner in the snow, like a Detriot would, where you would have needed to have fast hands to catch the slide:) Bad part is they are a fair amount weaker than an equivalent Detroit, especially in 10 bolt (1500) trim. They are a weak point in the drivetrain, and offroad, even stock, will break eventually with a heavy foot.

Last edited:

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Welcome! Clean looking rig and good choice. Timely post as I haven't been on here since May. Thanks for the shoutout, much appreciated. What are your plans with it? I find its best to spend some time with a rig stock for awhile to help figure out what upgrades are most needed for your uses. That way you can prioritize the stuff you feel you might need most. But yeah, I have learned a ton on here from the other users who have way more experience than I with these vehicles and have admittedly done alot more research than I. haha Lots of great ideas and experiences.

Really just plan on enjoying it for a while, but the short list:

- Full panel of fluids
- Weathertech liners all around
- Crank the torsion bars a bit
- Carplay deck + backup cam.

Would love to do a wheel/tire/spacer setup like Jorian once the Cooper Discovery tires that are on it start to wear out.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin- I believe you are correct the G80 was not included in the Z71 package for GMT800's, it was simply a 900-1200 option depending on the year

Yeah, I think the actual "Z71" option package was just wheels and tires, shocks, springs, tubular running boards, the different luggage rack, some cladding/fender flares and of course the Z71 badges. What I don't know is whether the Z71 was always "bundled" with other options like leather seats, premium sound, etc. I think it was because I've never seen a Z71 with cloth seats.

The other thing I've noticed is that I don't think I've ever seen a 2500 Suburban Z71. I know that Chevy offers the Z71 package in other 2500 platforms but I've never seen a 2500 Z71 'burb. Am I right in thinking the Z71 package was never offered in the 2500?

Burb One

Adventurer
Yeah, I think the actual "Z71" option package was just wheels and tires, shocks, springs, tubular running boards, the different luggage rack, some cladding/fender flares and of course the Z71 badges. What I don't know is whether the Z71 was always "bundled" with other options.

The other thing I've noticed is that I don't think I've ever seen a 2500 Suburban Z71. I know that Chevy offers the Z71 package in other 2500 platforms but I've never seen a 2500 Z71 'burb. Am I right in thinking the Z71 package was never offered in the 2500?
Yep, no 2500 z71!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Really just plan on enjoying it for a while, but the short list:

- Full panel of fluids
- Weathertech liners all around
- Crank the torsion bars a bit
- Carplay deck + backup cam.

Would love to do a wheel/tire/spacer setup like Jorian once the Cooper Discovery tires that are on it start to wear out.
In regards to the Weather Techs, I have them for my first two rows.... The second row mat gets bunched up if the front seats are put all the way back or when you pop the quick release on the second row for access to the 3rd row. Someone mentioned an alternative brand that has a better second row in my thread, can't recall the name off the top of my head.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In regards to the Weather Techs, I have them for my first two rows.... The second row mat gets bunched up if the front seats are put all the way back or when you pop the quick release on the second row for access to the 3rd row. Someone mentioned an alternative brand that has a better second row in my thread, can't recall the name off the top of my head.

I have Husky liners 1st and 2nd row and really like them. Mine don't bunch up or move at all. Also less expensive than Weather Techs. Wife has WT's on her Honda CRV and I don't really like them - too smooth and slippery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles