JKU gear organization- magic combo of bins to go next to the ARB 50qt fridge?

zimm17

Observer
I have the ARB 50qt fridge on the passenger side. I'm looking for the perfect combination of Rubbermaid bins, action packers, or something else that will stack up to the roof and allow me to carry my camping gear in an organized fashion. Last weekend I had 3 sleeping bags and pads, tent, stove, and propane all loose in the back, add to that all my cooking stuff was in re-usable shopping bags flopping around, groceries on the front seat, and clothes duffels on the floor behind the front seats. I need a better system. I don't need anything built in, but easily packed, stacked, and strapped down would be perfect. Ideas?

4CEC9072-4EA4-4CE4-9C8D-3EB9752813FD_zpsvuo55ev6.jpg

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
action packers with swag mounting. thats what I am using in the exact same setup. I should have them in the next few weeks.

tarditi

Explorer
x2 with the action packers... That's my setup too. I don't have the SWAG mounting, but it looks like some good kit.
I keep my fridge top clear so we can get to it (no shelves above it, etc.), and also have it on the latch side of the rear storage area in case I can't open my tailgate all the way because of trailer interference.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Sub'd. We are in the same boat. Looking for better options to haul gear on trips. Not sure if we would go with frontrunner or action packer type boxes or with a floor mounted drawer system and put the fridge on a slide on top for our arb 50. We are using pelican/storm 2950's and can get three of them stacked on each other then secured to a factory tie down point in the back. We then pack around it to minimize and shifting during travel with softer goods. The cases while holding a lot of stuff, waterproof, roll, won't collapse under weight etc do slide around on each other due to their "slick" type of surface which is why strapping them down is important. If they weren't tied down I feel they would be a great candidate to bust the rear or side glass due to their size. They are great to grab out of the back, roll the kitchen box to a table and have everything inside but they are for sure not the lightest things on earth. Plus we tend to exacerbate that sometimes by over packing them. They have pros and cons for sure but I got them from work for free so I haven't found myself wanting to spend the money to replace them yet.

zimm17

Observer
I just got done playing with my big rubbermaid tubs and actions packers. I'm not happy. I can stack two tubs on top of each other, then on the drivers side of that is about enough room for the tent, stove, sleeping rolls, it still looks like crap. For camping with two kids, I'm really leaning towards a small utility "camping" trailer. Harbor freight doesn't have those little $200 40x48" trailers in stock near me. I"m going camping this weekend. In the meantime I'll borrow my dad's 4x8 trailer and throw his old Sears "X-cargo" snail top carrier in there so I have waterproof storage for the clothes and sleeping stuff. Then I can throw the tubs in with lids, strap 'em down and have room to spare for folding chairs, the 5 gal water container, and my collapsable screen porch! I guess I'll mosey back over to the expedition trailer forum...

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I considered the Action Packers but I just didn't like how they were shaped. I felt that the tapered sides and various contours prevented them from fitting together tightly and created unnecessary voids. After way too much thought, I eventually purchased Wolf Packs from Front Runner. They are rectangular with straight sides and molded in handles, so they fit together tightly. Their internal dimensions are very close to their external dimensions, so it's an efficient use of space. They have keyed tops and bottoms, so they lock together when you stack them, and they are really strong. The only downsides I've experienced are the latches but you can buy metal ones instead of plastic and of course the cost. So far they have worked perfectly for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 50

mmaattppoo

Adventurer
24 gal Action Packer secured in a 2010 JKU Sport with a SWAG Offroad Baja mounting frame, a DIY cargo slide and integrated sliding cutting board, and a 37 qt ARB fridge freezer (fixed to the cargo slide).

a193c83935652e536816f0ac894dc0de.jpg

ff6a7eafed25999e332f49623d29a778.jpg

183496f7622302248e8181b882e28760.jpg

The Baja frame has holes that can be used to secure additional gear using small ratchet straps or bungee cords.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

tarditi

Explorer
24 gal Action Packer secured in a 2010 JKU Sport with a SWAG Offroad Baja mounting frame, a DIY cargo slide and integrated sliding cutting board, and a 37 qt ARB fridge freezer (fixed to the cargo slide).

a193c83935652e536816f0ac894dc0de.jpg

ff6a7eafed25999e332f49623d29a778.jpg

183496f7622302248e8181b882e28760.jpg

The Baja frame has holes that can be used to secure additional gear using small ratchet straps or bungee cords.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

NICE slide! Well done!

tarditi

Explorer
x2 with the action packers... That's my setup too. I don't have the SWAG mounting, but it looks like some good kit.
I keep my fridge top clear so we can get to it (no shelves above it, etc.), and also have it on the latch side of the rear storage area in case I can't open my tailgate all the way because of trailer interference.

I forgot to mention, since I started hauling my camp kitchen in a DOSKO, I found it fits perfectly next to the ARB when I'm not carrying my action packers.

ADEwM-aDt66cmxnJBUa2-IJ8_02qMaIwY-INXzBcG-AxTKp1bXEyW2ezIZOsTg4POCBmYKFYR4pQdLtHJNRPaxdypxt4yHO_Ak-dS5ItCG8xyfHQ5AxINQfzgGfuMC1lKi8AM_WSUYx1rRufR4gP8dlUZcfX2LD8sw7xjKtzYMc6k-xKRza6Hw6X-YmkiaUuHBCBHtecThJG3GXBRJFlVFMNHtLlJPqOLFBxW89eMmqF_aFjqPgtoWKSPFsN1XJBgT9RiIZ_iz2JR4BF2EILUxbcnXPX5ecspHlbMuNCq3MPIl7onCe3RUAIU8SoNKKykIXHGsNKF7Yw6-EsQ_cHWV1yKln4cd_2-rENL_8lx6PqrSKwq7P-RcEmMThdC0yc5YQ9VQjAlysC1-St_f2W6g8k0m2m4FhHAW7dp1Y8IMb7bfc6WIv83xPLz469kETHHVWi8PtMPNPvYPa3E8SoPFtoJ_gZRhoHu5ao-VxBtcnVqKKQ9hI85FlOiwKuZ3n9BkNAUi2vNKmVFL_KutbfIZptJliWalUxyzNaLBmHevShsKX0ENQFxgX1kulpvqeF7XDBdn-nqkLE2h7gcSrbqI3UUWxvwwime3N7tUwj6CPPTf4v=w344-h610-no

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That looks similar to a cargo slide that I've built out of tubing and expanded metal. I think I've fine-tuned the rack, now I'm starting on a shelf.

My thought was that the expanded metal allowed tie down almost anywhere, while looking similar to my Gobi Rack, and using tubing gave me an excuse to buy a bender. so far so good!

yaya

I use a frontrunner slider for my ARB and a Kantz kitchen side by side. Up top is a frontrunner shelf which I use with either the wolfpack or soft pack.....

IMG_1092.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier