Lr4 roof racks

Jwestpro

Explorer
Hannibal again IMG_8506.jpg

It's mounted such that I can remove it by myself and intact with support bars even with the rear awning.

IMG_9086.jpg

JWestPro,

Is that the Simpson II tent? Mine seems much wider and I have the Simpson III. I actually really love the ARB tent, quality and comfort are nice, just wider when folded forward and back set up so it hangs over the roof rack. Yours seems to fit perfect and I love the forward fold with ladder to the bull-bar. Do you have a straight picture from the front and back you can post?

Thanks,

E

Jwestpro

Explorer
Simpson 3, 55" wide-ish. It's just s perspective thing. This is the Discovery 2 Hannibal rack for reference.

IMG_8503.jpg

IMG_8504.jpg

Thanks. Yeah. Same tent. Gonna have to play with mine. For some reason it seems really wide on my rig. Maybe it's my FR rack is narrower than Hannible :coffee:

Jwestpro

Explorer
...Maybe it's my FR rack is narrower than Hannible :coffee:
Yeah, girth is where it's at man LOL. Seriously though, the LR3 version is narrower. This being for Disvo2 with gutters and more of a square body is why it's wider than anything made for the LR3. The tent zipper only barely sits outside the rail when mounted this way. However, when it opens off the side, it's within the rails making the zipper access/function a rather pain in the azz! This way is great for some aspects.

vasily

Adventurer
Nice thread. If I got a roof rack, it would have to be the prospeed just to fit in the garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice thread. If I got a roof rack, it would have to be the prospeed just to fit in the garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the best set up would be a flat rack such as FR with much lower profile mounting rails. Nothing against the Prospeed, I just believe the flat rack system is a more capable option for overlanding.

Of course there is that moonroof and antenna problem for FR racks which is why we can't lower the rails. I believe I can get mine in the garage with the access height set lower with GAP. I guess I'll know in a month when I get it back to socal and have a garage. Lol

vasily

Adventurer
I agree. I'm just not sure the Front Runner will fit in the garage. We're bringing the LR4 home early next week so I'll have a much better idea then.

A.J.M

Explorer
Biggest problem with Prospeed stuff, having a large amount of it on my D3. Is the total lack of any rust protection unless you get the Raptor coating, the powder coating doesn't last and breaks off. Needing it sand blasted and retreated.

Sadly, FR is the same. Had to make a warranty claim on the rail kit, all rack corners and the expedition rails due to corrosion issues after 3 months.

So. Pick something that's durable if you live in an area that doesn't enjoy 24/7/365 sunshine.

Sadly, Scotland is not such a place.

For what it's worth, i love the FR rack. the T piece slot system is great to fit ANYTHING on it. Standard M8 bolt and away you go. I had the wind deflector off to start with. Bloody hell it was loud and buffeted over 40mph. Stuck the deflector on, fixed that, but it whistled like crazy. So, armed with some black electrical tape, i taped up all the gaps. Problem solved.

I am getting a proper wind deflector made up to cover the full front and parts of the sides.

keeper1616

Observer
I agree. I'm just not sure the Front Runner will fit in the garage. We're bringing the LR4 home early next week so I'll have a much better idea then.

FYI: The FR rack needs about 6 inches from the top of the rear of the truck to the bottom of the garage door. Source: Mine just barely fits :)

I too have some FR corrosion issues I plan to source a fix with when it gets to the mainland. The corners are the worst and it appears maybe be aluminum is was not clean before powdercoat.

With that said, I love the rack but it should come standard with stainless hardware.

Noise doesn't bother me as I have an awning. I figure when the snorkel goes on, all that noise comfort goes out the door anyway when the truck is kitted.

I can't speak to any other rack.

I always liked this look, the genuine rack trimmed down. View attachment 407476

I'd be willing to relocate my antenna to lower my rack with different rack rails for my FR flat rack. With that said, I never open my moonroof so that is not a factor for me. I plan to put new moonroof seals in just for insurance of no leaks. I'm going to see how close it gets to the rack when opened and see if there is a way to lower it.

You are right, that factory rack trimmed down looks really clean.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
This weekend roof racks were the only thing that protected the roofline from several tree strikes and tipping into things, IE more trees. In this case an LR3 with a Baja.

GORM

Adventurer
I have FrontRunner Slimline II on my LR3 ... no interference with XM Radio, Make note that other brand ladders may not fit with FR SL2 rack so definitely check that out if you have a ladder already.

Ditto on noisiness. Between this and off road tires this is no longer a mall rider. Interestingly, with 2 canoes on the roof my gas mileage does not go down and it is quieter than with just roof rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles