Lr4 roof racks

vasily

Adventurer
for those of you with the Front Runner Rack, how tall are they from the roof or the sharkfin antenna? I have 6.5 inches of clearance from the top of the sharkfin to clear my garage in access height. 4ish inches from the top of the sharkfin in regular height.

I' wondering if I have enough room to clear the rack in my garage.

vasily

Adventurer
For reference

20077aef7c585fb65dbec6583bbbb89f.jpg

Access Height

9af1aaf8fe6b7c6f0483d278d59e0d74.jpg

Normal height

5bba0514dd84639b9eea4ad395769219.jpg

For ****s and giggles, off road height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
for those of you with the Front Runner Rack, how tall are they from the roof or the sharkfin antenna? I have 6.5 inches of clearance from the top of the sharkfin to clear my garage in access height. 4ish inches from the top of the sharkfin in regular height.

A few things for you to consider:

1st off, you could choose just about any rack and mounting style you like ... IF... you first buy the LLAMS electronic height controller. This allows instant -2omm below factory "access" height on all 4 corners. Then, additionally using the red "emergency/extra button, it lowers mainly just the rear by roughly another 20-25mm.

2md, The sharkfin is more or less a useless measurment (no offense) because nothing is mounted to it and it's difficult to estimate what impact any roof items will have on height clearance without knowing the clearance at each factory track.

3rd, what do you need a rack for and do you "need" or just want it ? ;) Some people realize the rack itself is 99% unnecessary when they can simply mount a RTT or even other items directly to solid cross bars such as Thule or Yakima.

For example, if you want a standing platform, why make it an otherwise useless rack when it could be highly useful bridging ladders or RTT or rigid storage case? For that matter, the bridging ladders don't even require cross bars because they can mount directly onto the factory front-to-rear side rails.

Just some ideas to get you outside the norm of blowing $$$ on a rack that is often very underutilized.

I am willing to bet that a custom flush mounted clamshell style RTT may even clear your garage when using the LLAMS kit to lower maximally. This also depends a lot on your tire size now vs later. Or you could even do what the truckers did in the 70's movie "Convoy" and let enough air out of the tires to roll in ;)

vasily

Adventurer
A few things for you to consider:

1st off, you could choose just about any rack and mounting style you like ... IF... you first buy the LLAMS electronic height controller. This allows instant -2omm below factory "access" height on all 4 corners. Then, additionally using the red "emergency/extra button, it lowers mainly just the rear by roughly another 20-25mm.

2md, The sharkfin is more or less a useless measurment (no offense) because nothing is mounted to it and it's difficult to estimate what impact any roof items will have on height clearance without knowing the clearance at each factory track.

3rd, what do you need a rack for and do you "need" or just want it ? ;) Some people realize the rack itself is 99% unnecessary when they can simply mount a RTT or even other items directly to solid cross bars such as Thule or Yakima.

For example, if you want a standing platform, why make it an otherwise useless rack when it could be highly useful bridging ladders or RTT or rigid storage case? For that matter, the bridging ladders don't even require cross bars because they can mount directly onto the factory front-to-rear side rails.

Just some ideas to get you outside the norm of blowing $$$ on a rack that is often very underutilized.

I am willing to bet that a custom flush mounted clamshell style RTT may even clear your garage when using the LLAMS kit to lower maximally. This also depends a lot on your tire size now vs later. Or you could even do what the truckers did in the 70's movie "Convoy" and let enough air out of the tires to roll in ;)

That’s definitely some good food for thought. For some reason, I wasn’t thinking when I was up there with the ruler. It was only later I was looking at the pictures that I realize measuring from the roof might be better than from the Antena itself.

As far as the LLAMS tool, that sounds super cool. My only issue is that whatever we choose needs to be something that requires minimal effort or afterthought as this is my wife’s car and she’s the one that has to haul around our 15 month old so simple is better.

As far as why - I want to look like an Overland mall crawling **********. ?

But seriously we have kayaks, paddle boards, and bikes. We have even strapped the stroller to the top of our 4Runner.

As far as why front runner - there is a used one available locally...

I don’t have the factory rails and those things with cross bars would be in the same ballpark as the FR unit I have my eye on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
Just so you remember, all those items still require something additional on top of a FR rack... = redundancy. Also the FR you're probably just not going to want to ever remove it while the Thule or Yakima mounts are truly "quick" on-off by almost anyone and even easy to do solo.

Odd you don't have factory rails as I've never even seen an Lr 3/4 without them.

Here's my measurement. take 1/2" off the top for the paddle board pad.

IMG_3037.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke