Lr4 roof racks

Campndad

Essayons!!
I was wondering if anyone could share their preferences on a roof rack for the lr4. I had a Baja rack on my lr3 and trying to decide if there is a better option and would love some input. I am looking at voyager, Baja and front runner. I would also like to know if anyone experiences issues with the front runner causing interfering with the xm and gps antenna on the rear.
1c58385eb7716d696ae76b55e9b39112.jpg

New to me 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keeper1616

Observer
I have the Front Runner rack. It doesn't cause any interference with GPS or XM. However, it is LOUD. I've ended up taking the rack its self off, and leaving the mounting kit on, just so I can use the sunroof over 25 MPH. Even with the windows and sunroof closed, it's still very noticeable at 45+. Strangely, it's louder with the air dam on that if the air dam is off.

harbinger808

Adventurer
no experience with any of those, but if you are
looking for really low profile, Prospeed is a great option if you can stomach the shipping cost. it really looks like a part of the vehicle in my opinion. the one thing that i do not like is that im having a heck of a hard time mounting my alucab shadowawning to it because of its low profile though.

Ray_G

Explorer
Had frontrunner, great rack-but as keeper1616 notes, you get some wind noise. (*though with mine, as a half rack, it wasn't that bad at all truthfully)

Have prospeed...is amazing. Literally saves children while I'm driving down the street and girls won't leave me alone. Ok, so maybe not that good but in my mind justifies the price.
May be worth hitting up Lucky 8 on the prospeed to see what their price/delivery time is in comparison to the other options you are looking at.
r-
Ray

NYCRover

Observer
I've had a frontrunner rack on two vehicles and just got one for my new LR4 as they are super modular and I can attach basically anything to it with ease. That being said, seeing as I don't constantly drive around with crap on the roof and have to access low clearance garages, I regret not going with a prospeed.

kcabpilot

Observer
Cannot speak specifically for LR4 but I have a Voyager rack on my D2 and can attest to their quality. I just did close to 3,000 miles with rooftop tent, extra spare, chainsaw, two Jerry cans and a 4x2 equipment box strapped to it and it never blinked.

ESfHjgEff3AFUrOa2dm_jO0xK4XNmZUO_WXBw0yYgQksVcjchodENOUqUPrPOISuTjE3F1xHNW5ICoI=w3072-h4096-no

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Have the Baja, commute daily with it at 70+ mph here. Sunroof is good up to 55mph with the wind fairing up front. The decking helps with some buffeting I suspect but noise is reasonable (really not too bad) as you're probably already aware. I carry things occasionally, usually fuel up top. If you weren't going with the prospeed (the only other one I would try), maybe grab another Baja? Done maybe 20,000 miles with it so far. Nice for standing on, sitting on, putting lots of things on, napping on, using as a photo platform on, and now... hanging hammocks between vehicles (stole that one from the Jay Leno Trans America Trail video with those LR4's).

Good luck with the choice!

iowalr4

Adventurer
I never notice much noise from my low profile voyager rack with a wind fairing. I think it does a good job. The polymax flooring does help a bit. I'm sure people are probably sick of me posting pictures of it.. ha!

IMG_20160508_145233_zpsvmmr2hk3.jpg

Campndad

Essayons!!
Guys thanks for the feedback. I did have the noise issues with my Baja on my LR3, but it had a lot of attachments. I will check into the prospeed with Lucky 8. I sent in my specks to Voyager a week ago, but have not heard back from them on the build.
MBWESNER: did you use the flooring from Voyager or did you get another source for it?

harbinger808

Adventurer
if you are seriously considering the prospeed and possibly an awing down the road, definitely look into compatibility. i love the rack itself and its served its purpose numerous times, but i recently purchased an alu-cab shadow awning which will need custom mounts fabricated. the prospeed xrs awning brackets are made for small light weight awnings. the shadow awning is simply too heavy for them.

Ray_G

Explorer
That Prospeed rack is nice if it is easy to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't hard to get, it just is $$$. Ben is extremely responsive and prospeed def has tapped into global logistics. All of that costs money though. If L8 starts bringing the stuff to the US perhaps there will be some price savings but even then it won't be as cheap as any of the other options noted-which makes sense when you look at how complicated it is compared to a frontrunner setup.

Good point on the awning, I think if I were seriously considering an awning for my truck I doubt I would have gone prospeed-prob would have just stuck with FR.

For those wondering about the flooring, it does appear to be polymax: http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;;pgha2215_HA2217.html
Long standing utilization on the Disco 1 & 2 safety devices racks. I've had the same flooring on my D1 since 2007 and it looks exactly the same and works perfectly. Exceptional value for the money, and I will likely play with it as flooring for my prospeed.
r-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles