2000 ford Excursion camping/backcountry vehicle

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Awesome pics!!! Sadly I live vicariously through those of you who are currently able to do these amazing trips!!!
Its all good bro, I wish I could do it more often honestly but with work and kids it gets challenging. Stayed tuned, we will be exploring more of New Mexico now that the temperature is getting cool.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
So my last adventure was a total of 1700 miles round trip but man was it worth it. It started with crazy weather leaving town with a snow storm hitting the night before leaving to King of the Hammers.
download.png
The road over to Johnson Valley California was long but the excitement was the fuel needed to get there quickly. I must say once we got there we were in awe from all the amazing rigs. ( sensory overload) In the distance we could see a trail called Chocolate Thunder and once we got to our camping site we could see the trail called Back Door. We arrived there fairly late so we set up camp and got to sleep in order to start this 5 day stay out at Johnson Valley.
KOH excursion3.JPG
Mornings would rise and we would go out to the trail heads and enjoy the views and accommodation. Backdoor was a good place to go stretch your legs in the morning and relieve nature calls.
KOH excursion2.JPG

As the days came to an end every day we would be either watching the races or heading over to Chocolate thunder to see the rock crawlers attempt to climb all the obstacle.
excursion hammers.jpg

I must say what a great experience! if you guys are interested in KOH 2020 pictures let me know and I can post up all the amazing rigs we got to see out there.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
I have a little video over a trip we took at the end of last year before winter struck. We headed out to the Guadalupe National Park to a remote campsite called Dog Canyon. We took the New Mexico Backroads (NMBR) southern map and it guided us very well. Hope you enjoy!!! If you have any questions let me know:)

elpoffroad

Adventurer
We embarked on another adventure this time we werent from my home town EL Paso Tx to Timberon NM
It was a hell of an experience with a few set backs but man was it fun.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
7.JPG

So the other night I was contemplating what my next modification should be done to the excursion.
I have been toying around with these ideas:
- Mount a winch
- Rear Locker
- Spare tire rear bumper
Let me know what you think I should do next.
We are planning to do a couple day trip in the backroads of New Mexico see if I am able to squeeze it in before the school I teach for opens again and we have to go back to work.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
I must start with saying that , Man what amazing journeys my vehicles take me in. I had a chance of doing a trail with my Family that is called the Enchanted Rockies. We did the first 150 miles of it an what a blast. We started out adventure at Dell City during the night so pictures and videos were horrible.
excur1.jpg
The next day in the morning was perfect conditions.
excur2.jpg
We had breakfast and set forth on our journey. We ended up at Sitting bull falls and had a chance to jump in the water.
waterfall.jpg
From there we hit the trail again found an awesome camp spot.
excur3.jpg
excur4.jpg
This trail was a total of 4 days and 3 nights and man was it a great drive!!! I cant wait to do the next leg on the Enchanted Rockies trail. Also known as Guadalupe Rim Rd.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
So after the last trip the only thing I wish I had was some more aggressive tires for when we hit some rocks and or mud. Either ways I normally swap out tires every 4 years on my daily drivers to ensure that the tires are always road worthy. I got searching and found some Mud terrain Nankangs MT-1 285-75-16 for hell of a deal on ebay. 560 bucks for the set of 4. Hard to say no to that. Mounted and balanced extremely well and first drive reaction was man they fell soo good. We shall see what the long term review are for these tires. Check em out.
excur new tire.jpg

elpoffroad

Adventurer
The Enchanted Rockies El Paso TX to Timberon NM
20210314_073339.jpg
We set off on an adventure and decided to do the first leg of the Enchanted Rockies starting from from Dell City to Cloudcroft NM
We got to test out the tires off road and hang out with the family.
20210313_181406.jpg
The winds were horrid from 50 mph winds with 85 mph gusts. We battled the air and for the whole trip.
We did have a blast and set up camp.
20210313_194523.jpg
This has to be one of my favorite trails in this area of Texas going into New Mexico. We ended up by Weeds NM heading into Cloudcroft NM.
Looking forward to doing the second leg of the trail.
IMG_8008.JPG
Check out the views of the top of the Guadalupe Rim trail on the beginning of the Enchanted Rockies.
Also have a Youtube video if yall are interested on the full trail and more details.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
So we decided to redo the first leg of the Enchanted Rockies since we wanted to hang out more and test out some gear. This trip was very brutal due solely to wind. If yall want to check it out , come join the channel :)

elpoffroad

Adventurer
We have been on the road a lot. From Padre Island National Seashore to Pacific Highway off the coast of California! Its been an amazing time but here we have a little video I took of Chloride Canyon NM. A few friends and family members joined along. If you have any questions on set ups that you see in this video let me know and I will be happy to do a walk around.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Well have some updates on how the Excursion has come along. I found a warn transformer grill guard with a winch plate for a great deal locally. Had to install it and for the winch I had always wanted to give the Harbor freight winches a chance and for 280 bucks for a 12k I didn't think twice about it. Afterwards I felt that the 285 were to small so moved up to 315s stt pros and mickey Thompson wheels. I'm excited with my upgrades and now I'm looking forward to the next few things.
IMG_20220806_232808_096.jpg

fiddy

We have been on the road a lot. From Padre Island National Seashore to Pacific Highway off the coast of California! Its been an amazing time but here we have a little video I took of Chloride Canyon NM. A few friends and family members joined along. If you have any questions on set ups that you see in this video let me know and I will be happy to do a walk around.

Great trip report - thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles