2000 ford Excursion camping/backcountry vehicle

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Well it started with looking for a vehicle to be able to accommodate the family that can tow and have 4wd that wasn't weak. I looked around and finally settled on an excursion. Solid axle, large gas tank, more than big enough and simple well proven suspension. I fell in love with it instantly. She is so comfortable to drive long distances and with front and rear AC everyone is comfortable. I'm planning on a half size roof rack and cattle guard (also to be able to ,put some lights) . I already put new 285/75/16 tires with centerline wheels. Looking to maybe lift it another inch or two. I'm excited to present to you my excursion.image.jpgimage.jpg it has the rear vent windows which are great in the summer to vent out that stuffy interior.

Last edited:

RPhil

Adventurer
Looking good. Google V / B spring swap. These leaf springs were softened at the factory on Excursions. The Super Duty equivalents bolt up and provide a small lift and improved ride quality/performance.

Cheers :smiley_drive:

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Yeah I'm looking at the v/b swap and I already have a set of springs lined up but for right now I'm going to just enjoy it how it is. I am planning on making a full size roof rack for it soon too

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Congrats! Looks like we will be building similar trucks! I picked up a 2000 7.3 excursion a month or two ago and it will be expos new build. Bunch of parts coming in now so first piece on it may go up as early as next week.

Whats your interior sleeping plan? The fold flat works pretty well I think. Also which cattle guard are you going with? Ive settled on ARB for safety and looks

By the way you probably know this but it took me a while to figure out. The rear ambo doors open the full 180 if you press in the metal clips where the door slides connect to the body. Quick and easy on and off

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
LOVE Excursions. I drove the family excursion for a few years in HS. I want another one so badly. We unfortunately sold it because we didnt need it anymore but man I wish I still had it. It could tow whatever we hooked it up to and haul the 7 people in my family plus a dog to the lake every year. And it tackled some pretty aggressive trails with ease.

Enjoy it. They're pretty fantastic.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Great to hear! I like when non-standard platforms get a high profile feature.

You did a baseline run recently with it in stock configuration, right?

Sure did! That trip was actually what made me feel like I didn't want to do the crazy build I had originally planned. (40s and cutout fenders etc) Its very comfortable and capable now so why ruin it?

LOVE Excursions. I drove the family excursion for a few years in HS. I want another one so badly. We unfortunately sold it because we didnt need it anymore but man I wish I still had it. It could tow whatever we hooked it up to and haul the 7 people in my family plus a dog to the lake every year. And it tackled some pretty aggressive trails with ease.

Enjoy it. They're pretty fantastic.

Yeah ive been really happy so far. From taking four people to dinner and hauling five beadlocked wheels and tires at the same time, to hauling an airstream half way across the country, to sleeping inside and tackling backroads it is so versatile.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Congrats! Looks like we will be building similar trucks! I picked up a 2000 7.3 excursion a month or two ago and it will be expos new build. Bunch of parts coming in now so first piece on it may go up as early as next week.

Whats your interior sleeping plan? The fold flat works pretty well I think. Also which cattle guard are you going with? Ive settled on ARB for safety and looks

By the way you probably know this but it took me a while to figure out. The rear ambo doors open the full 180 if you press in the metal clips where the door slides connect to the body. Quick and easy on and off
Thanks, yeah I wanted a 7.3 but it was out of my price range plus with the deal I got this one for I couldn't resist. For my sleeping plan I'm looking at putting a queen or full size foldable mattress in the back since I have no use for the 3rd row seat yet. For nice weather I'm also looking at ARB awning with the enclosed room, has plenty of ventilation and it will make a sufficient tent to spend with the kiddos. I talked to my wife about a rtt but we are still undecided so for now the awning with the roof rack and enclosed room will do.image.jpg
I had wondered about the back doors and I hadn't figured it out but that is great to know. I'm thinking of taking off the panels to the back doors and using not only for storage but also for a fold down table to put a camping stove on or a hot plate. Already got my power inverter. Also for the cattle guard I got a ranch hand for 60 dollars but it's for a 06 f250, still fits but doesn't follow the headlight pattern so I'm thinking of cutting the headlight tube section and bending up some tube to follow the headlight design better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey any excursion is pretty awesome! The 7.3s cost a fortune. I flew to Georgia to get this one because it was owned by an 80 year old guy. One owner (aircraft mechanic) and it was bought and serviced by same dealer its whole life. He had everything down to windshield wipers notated in a maintenance log and had the original excursion chairs (unused) and accessories still in the bags. The back seats were sat in less than ten time lol. they are brand new. He even put carpet over his carpets to keep them clean.

You'll be happy with the ARB awning and room. We used one on our teardrop and loved it. Just keep in mind that while the awning is water proof the room is not.

Im going the same route with the tables. I havent found any that fit exactly and im torn between making my own or buying online. The nice thing is that even if the table is too long for the driver side ambo door you can still use it because it folds in first.

Check these out - but don't spread it around too much ;) https://www.google.com/search?q=Pit...DQzfHOAhVD32MKHc9fAtQQsxgIHg&biw=1920&bih=969

elpoffroad

Adventurer
Yeah mine was not as clean but it was in good condition, I have put 4k miles on it and it is a smooth sailing ship.
Yeah I did think about it not being waterproof but since places that we want to visit for now ,it doesn't rain much so I'm not afully worries about. If there is a possibility of rain I will take out the good ole trusty tent and kick it old school lol.
Those tables are kick *** just have to look at dimensions and see if one fits.

KSL22

Adventurer
I probably sound like a broken record if you read all the other Excursion threads, but a boat cup holder goes great in the top of the barn doors. I just got a cheap plastic one but these stainless ones would be nice. http://veada.com/pontoon-boat-parts...oSVbi9r5Zf3yvbmo9Oc-Z3BG-RqYDIjqPoaAtZM8P8HAQ

I also wires a LED flush with the bottom of the top door to try and light up the unloading area when open. The one I used didn't throw the light quite right, but that was a log time ago and technology has come a long way.

elpoffroad

Adventurer
I like the stainless steel cup holder...I will see about buying a few to put on top of the rear door panel.
I also like the idea of putting a led underneath the rear hatch glass to light up the area with a manual switch to turn on and off whenever you please.

5HUB

Observer
Subscribed. My build was put on hold but you guys are motivating me to get back into it.
Looking forward to both builds. What roof racks are you going to use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles