FIDO Expeditions 2016

yabanja

Explorer
My wife and I have just returned from nearly 4 months on the road in our trusty Mitsubishi Fuso Camper FIDO.

Our trip began in Salt Lake City and went as far south as Sedona before turning northwards. After a month we resupplied in Salt Lake and made it to the Canadian Border almost exclusively on dirt roads. We then headed up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper before turning westwards towards Vancouver. After a quick visit with family and friends we headed down the west coast before ultimately returning home to Salt Lake City. Neither of us was ready to come home, but life beckoned...... Luckily I have the chance to revisit the trip by relating our adventures to you!!! I expect this may take a while as I have a boatload of photos and videos to sift through(the better to remember all the details). In the meantime here is a video I threw together this morning-IT IS SUPER CHEESY SO BE PREPARED! :)

Allan

[video=vimeo;180210828]https://vimeo.com/180210828[/video]
https://vimeo.com/180210828

You can read about the build here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116607-Diving-in-Head-First!
and our travels to the Overland Expo last year here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143555-Trial-by-Fire-FIDO-expeditions-gets-underway-Snoverland-Expo!!?highlight=snowverland

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
The trip begins......

In the month leading up to the trip it was a frenzy of activity. Sakshi was trying to figure out how to put months worth of food into the small space allotted, (she did an admirable job), and I was checking the most important modifications off the 60 line item list of repairs and changes that we wanted to do on the truck. Windows, check, seal roof, check, roof vents, check, get water system up and running, check, test water heater, check etc...... I don't think Fido will ever be done, but it is getting closer:)

I grew up camping and exploring the backcountry of the Washington and Utah and am quite adept at reading a paper map. Sakshi is from a Military family and she likes traditional maps too. We don't really go in for electronic devices too much when it comes to navigation.(although we will whip out the iPhone periodically to get our gps coordinates to compare with the paper map and confirm our location-but that is about the extent of it.) I have yet to have a failure of a paper map or run out of batteries!!! That having been said, our planned route included a lot of new areas and we were sorely lacking in the map department. Amazon is our friend!!

attachment.php

Some of these turned out to be incredibly useful and some not so much. I can't say enough positive about the BackRoads Mapbooks if you are traveling in Canada. They have lovely contours and nice descriptions of the canoeing, hiking, camping, and biking opportunities in their covered areas. The book 8000 miles of dirt roads in Wyoming was also awesome. We have some further exploring to do up there and it is so close to home! We could have done without the Camp Free in BC book however. We are used to the open camping on BLM lands here in the states and had friends tell us that there were no areas like that in Canada(poppycock!) so we were concerned about finding places. As it turns out, there are tons of open lands with range camping and we never really needed help in that regard.

About a month prior to our departure I read on the forums that there was a Fuso camper from Alabama in town at the local Mechanic having some repairs done. I stopped by to have a look at the camper. It was a good looking rig.

IMG_5257.jpg

We reached out to it's owner to come by for some home cooked Indian food when the truck was done. They said they would love to when they flew back from their trip to New York.
I love hosting travellers at our place. It is almost as though you were traveling yourself. David and Reagan came by for dinner and brought some other locals Chris and Lana with an Earthcruiser EXP who we hadn't met. While they were there I got my first ride in an Earthcruiser. They are so nice. It sure would have been easier to buy one of those instead of building my own, but where is the fun in that? Three Fusos in our driveway at once. Super cool!!!

IMG_5290.jpg

I guess David and Reagan liked the food as they ended up staying in our driveway for nearly a week. It was so helpful to have them around while I was doing final preparations for our departure. David ended up helping me add additional structure to the bed frame (when it had been upholstered they used cardboard as a mattress support-before my ownership-needless to say it didn't last. He also brought an air powered caulking gun which came in extremely handy for all those tubes of Sikaflex I used installing the new windows. I don't know how I got along without one of those. It was so interesting to look at another homebuilt camper. Each camper is built to the owners tastes and requirements. David ended up using a professionally built Morgan truck body(those are so nice) which will turn out to be bulletproof. He is a carpenter by trade and did a lovely job outfitting the interior. The custom tubular bumpers are sweet as is the raising and lowering rear rack with the bikes and spare tire. He has a gigantic storage locker under the bed which was nearly full. They were realizing that they may have overpacked and wanted to spend their time with us sorting and shipping extra stuff home. I am afraid of adding too much storage on Fido for the same reason-you will always fill it up!

IMG_5303.jpg

A friend of mine is the head brewer at a large local brewery here in Salt Lake and he was having a surprise birthday party at the brewery which we decided to attend. It turns out that he had jokingly commented a couple of years back when his daughter had a princess party that he never got one. Sakshi, Reagan and I stopped by and this was the result:

IMG_2134.jpg

Good times! By the time David and Reagan left the friendship was sealed. We hugged our goodbyes and looked forward to seeing them again at the Overland Expo in a few weeks.

We finally got all packed up and ready to go on our day of departure. It was a little later in the day than we had hoped and we were exhausted from all of our preparations when I came up with a brilliant idea. We decided to camp the first night of the trip in our driveway which would make the trip home to pick up forgotten items much shorter. We had a good nights rest, loaded up a few more items, and hit the road the next morning.

The first day on the road was a three hour drive down to a remote area just outside the ghost town of Woodside Utah. Woodside is on highway six about halfway between Price and Green River. It was an old roadside attraction as it used to have a large geyser which would erupt with great regularity. Water is a rare thing in such an arid region. Unfortunately one too many beer cans and rocks were thrown into the hole and it ceased to flow many years ago. All that is left now is an old gas station and a bunch of decrepit RV's. I knew of a dirt road taking off to the east from there which led to the North Fork of the Price river. Just a few miles up the road we entered a lovely canyon on a rugged dirt road. Just the way we like it.

IMG_5326.jpg

We found a beautiful place to park for the night, and we were the only people for miles. We prefer to take the road less traveled, and often camp well off the beaten track. One of my inspirations in my youth was my Grandfather. He had this fifth wheel trailer and truck that he would take south seasonally and we would often meet up with him when I was a kid. We would joke that he would always pick a camp spot between the highway and the railroad tracks. This is an interesting point. You see, he always felt more secure if he was surrounded by other people and close to infrastructure. We are exactly the opposite. We feel best when there isn't another vehicle for a hundred miles and we are completely alone. Generational thing I guess. Anyways I guess this spot would do:

IMG_2142.jpg

The rock strata in this area was at about thirty degrees and it was tough to find a level place to park for the night. I found a big hole to put the front tires in and got it right where I wanted it. I pointed out to Sakshi later that I had parked in a crack where the entire point of the bluff was separating toward the cliff to the river below. I figured it would stay put for one more night. We both slept well and are here to tell the tale so I guess it worked out ok!

IMG_2154.jpg

That evening we went for a walk to admire the canyon and the lovely wildflowers before heading to bed. It felt so good to be on the road!!

IMG_2163.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2168.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I had a desert tortoise as a pet growing up.

His name was Fido :sombrero:

Cool vid.

Thanks for posting

yabanja

Explorer
We awoke.....

We awoke the next morning fully refreshed and ready to start the day. I always sleep better in Fido than at home. After a quick breakfast and some french press coffee for me, and home blended tea for Sakshi, we packed up and hit the road. As we were driving out we spotted a Badger hightailing it for it's burrow. It was the first one I had ever seen in the wild!

Prior to our departure from home I was running out of time and still had a long list of things to do to prepare the truck. I gave Sakshi an ultimatum: She could have steps to the camper or a bike rack. Well, we are still using the ladder to get into the camper so I guess the bike rack won out. To justify hauling the bikes all over the place we decided to spend a couple of days in Moab mountain biking. I was also very excited to try out my new used bike! We headed to the North Klondike Bluffs Trailhead for some single track. At the turnoff from the highway the land was teeming with prairie dogs.

IMG_2190.jpg

We stopped at the trailhead and had the prerequisite conversation with the fellow bikers about Fido and then we hit the trail.

IMG_5333.jpg

Moab is one of my favorite places in the world. Super single tracks and stunning views.

IMG_5337.jpg

About halfway through the day's ride Sakshi's chain broke. I rifled through my toolkit but no chain tool.

IMG_5339.jpg

I was about to start pounding on it with rocks (any tool can be the right tool) when some nice cyclists stopped by and had the tool we needed. We were back on the trail in no time!

IMG_5340.jpg
IMG_5341.jpg

We got back to Fido early and decided to take a short hike to see some dinosaur tracks. It turns out they were from an Alasaurus so we took a picture of one Alasaurus foot next to the other.

IMG_5348.jpg

We returned from the hike just in time to catch up with the guys who had helped us out on the trail. We had a beer with them and found out they were from British Columbia. It turns out they know my Friend Lee Lau from mountain biking circles. It really is a small world.

It was getting to be dinner time so we decided to go find some free camping for the night. We headed out the willow springs road and it was overrun. The days of from my youth of camping right on cane creek near it's connection with the colorado are over. We decided to head back north out ten mile road to see if we could find some peace. We found a lovely spot all alone, set up camp, and enjoyed our first outdoor shower of the trip. It was a lovely spot.

IMG_5347.jpg

Allan

yabanja

Explorer
After a good night's rest....

Moab was feeling a bit too crowded for us, and the weekend was approaching(or as we call it amateur hour) so we decided to do a short bike ride and then head for the hills. We stopped at the Bar M trails for a couple of short loops. I managed to have a rare(for me) high speed crash when my worn rear tire slid out from under me, and called it a day. I ordered a new tire on Amazon before we left the parking lot and it would be waiting when we returned home for a resupply in a month. Isn't technology great!

We had had enough pavement in the last few days and it was high time we hit the dirt. Whenever possible we try to stay off pavement and find through roads in the dirt. So we headed to the Beef Basin road. In the past ten years I have made two attempts to get in through beef basin to Ruin Park. Both were foiled by heavy rains and deep mud. I like Mud, and I like ruins so whether we make it or not it is guaranteed to be a good time. This time the weather gods were with us. A few miles into the Beef Basin road:

IMG_5360.jpg

The dirt road to beef basin is nearly 40 miles long, and winds it's way up several thousand feet through lovely red rock canyons to an mountain pass before heading back down a rough and exposed track into Beef Basin itself. It offers lovely views of Canyonlands. The area is also accessible from the other end through Canyonlands over Elephant Hill and Bobby's hole but there are a couple of narrow areas which would prevent Fido from getting through. This area is really remote, and other than passing a couple of ATV's and a Bear Hunting Expedition??? on the road up we had the whole valley all to ourselves.

IMG_5375.jpg
IMG_5377.jpg

The next morning we decided to hop on our bikes and go explore the Ruins-there are a half dozen structures in really remarkable condition. It was Awesome!

IMG_5364 (1).jpg
IMG_5385.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg
IMG_5390.jpg

This is where Sakshi and I had one of the two wildlife close encounters of the whole trip. We were riding our bikes along through the valley when Sakshi yelled "Stop!!!" I turned back when she said "Allan I killed a horny toad." We went back to take a look. Sure enough there was a 3" long horny toad in the middle of the road and it wasn't moving. She slowly approached it and poked it gently with a small stick. Suddenly it puffed up, charged us, and started hissing!!! We ran for our lives!! We were a mile down a road when Sakshi looked over at me and said "Hey, I think maybe we were bigger than it!" Good times.

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Southward ho!!

I don't really plan routes in advance. I will look at the map in the evening and decide where to go the next day depending on our mood. This is really the way to travel! We were heading south and it looked like we could make it nearly to the state line on dirt roads if we played our cards right. Today we traveled 50 miles of dirt roads, a pace which we would end up sticking to in the coming months. We packed up Fido and backtracked back up to the mountains on the Beef Basin road. The views were stunning.

IMG_5392.jpg
IMG_5395.jpg

At the high point in the road we took a right towards Mormon Meadows. There were no other people out here and the scenery was beautiful.

IMG_5396.jpg

The road wound through the aspen groves and pines for a few miles before beginning the descent into North Cottonwood Canyon. This was Reservation land and it was clearly posted that there was no stopping or trespassing. It was beautiful country and we were happy to just take in the views and go our way. We took this road all the way to highway 95 where we turned west. After a few miles of pavement we turned south again into the dirt on the Comb wash road. Comb wash is very interesting. It is a perfectly straight upheaval in the rock which runs for about 14 miles. We drove the sandy wash road about 8 miles in past the normal herds of people with 5th wheel campers, over a few difficult obstacles, and finally down a 4x4 dirt track to find a lovely camp spot all by ourselves. This is the best part about FIDO. The ability to leave the riffraff far behind and still enjoy all the comforts of home. The longer we spend out the more we love the camper.

IMG_5398.jpg

We had another lovely night and headed out early the next morning and continued southward. We kept our eyes peeled for ruins along the Comb and saw a bunch of petroglyphs but no ruins. Next time!

IMG_2331.jpg
IMG_5399.jpg

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
The plan was to meet up with my parents for some group camping in John's Canyon. We had decided to rendezvous at the Goosenecks of the San Juan River and then convoy into John's canyon. We hit the pavement for a few miles before taking a short diversion through the Valley of the Gods road. It will look very familiar to you as they have filmed a ton of car commercials there. If you get the chance it is not to be missed.

IMG_2360.jpg

We meandered through the spires enjoying a few more miles of dirt and scenery.

IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2385.jpg

After looping through the Valley, we hit pavement again for a few miles before hitting the turnoff on the hill above Mexican Hat for The Goosenecks. We got there a few minutes early and decided to whip up a nice lunch while we waited. This is one of those places where it is always windy. It can be a bit disconcerting to feel the truck being buffeted, but I don't really worry too much about it as it is 10,000 pounds and doesn't really present that much area to the wind. Mom and John showed up just in time for lunch. Here is the view from our door. They let you park pretty close to the edge.

IMG_2393.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    IMG_2436.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 44

yabanja

Explorer
We finished lunch, aired down, and turned west towards John's Canyon. It is a lovely 20 mile long dirt road through the red rock hugging the cliff in many places. I had been there the year prior on a short day trip and was excited to go back and spend a couple of days there. We have experienced this phenomenon with FIDO and pictures. You can be on the most extreme terrain and when you take a photo FIDO and his 37" tires make it all look inconsequential. Not here.

IMG_2395.jpg

We cruised down the road stopping frequently to take photos and pass through gates. Places like this are a little slice of heaven to me.

View attachment 365131

After circling around away from the San Juan River into John's Canyon we passed through a small stream and found a lovely Camp spot right near the water.

View attachment 365132
View attachment 365133

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Clouds!

We awoke to a lovely blue sky dotted with popcorn clouds. Having grown up in the desert I knew this was an indicator of potential wild weather ahead. We decided to take advantage of the cool weather and take a short day hike up John's Canyon.

IMG_2463.jpg

The weather did indeed take a turn for the worse and right over our camp. It was still bright and sunny where we were but down canyon was looking a bit sketchy...

IMG_5419.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg

We made it about halfway to camp before we had to whip out the goretex and take cover under a juniper to weather a pretty decent hail storm.

IMG_2519.jpg

It was only 15 minutes or so before the storm had passed. We continued the walk back to camp. I love rain in the desert. You could almost hear the plants gulping up the rare moisture.

IMG_5413.jpg

yabanja

Explorer
Happy Hour!

We returned to camp just in time for happy hour!

IMG_5401.jpg

The sunset was lovely and we had another peaceful night in Fido. We were the only ones group in the canyon. (A far Cry from camping out at Overland Expo where we were heading) The next day Sakshi and I decided to take advantage of our Mountain bikes and head further downstream in the San Juan River George. The road gets really rough about a mile past where we were camped and then opens up again and winds through the canyon for an additional twenty miles. There are petroglyphs everywhere. In fact, I would say it is the most prolific area I have ever been to. We had a great bike ride and on our way back bumped into Mom and John (Yes the canyon is named after him :)) who had hiked a ways down the road behind us.

IMG_5423.jpg
IMG_5427.jpg
IMG_5435.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5445.jpg

yabanja

Explorer
Onwards...

We enjoyed our three day hiatus in John's canyon, but were eager to head down the road. It looked like it was going to rain so it would be a good day for driving. We caught one more very nice petroglyph panel on the way out.

IMG_2581.jpg

Once we got out onto the plateau above the San Juan River the views out towards Mexican Hat were stunning.

IMG_2585.jpg

We crossed into Arizona and it started pouring rain. This is one of those moments I regret. The views were stunning with the tops of the spires of Monument Valley enshrouded in low clouds. But I jut had the petal to the metal and didn't stop for a proper photo op. It will live on in memory.

IMG_2595.jpg

The weather was pretty dramatic all the way to Kayenta with heavy rain and strong headwinds. It made for stunning scenery.

IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2607.jpg

We stopped for groceries and gas in Kayenta before taking a right up the hill towards our destination for the night Navajo National Monument. The weather broke into clear skies just as we arrived at camp. Navajo National Monument is a really nice campground high up on the mesa that is free. There are several guided hikes to ruins that take off from there but we didn't have reservations.

IMG_5453.jpg

Sakshi was really excited about a secret item she had hidden away and she said it was time to open it. It turned out to be a roll around ice cream maker. You just add ice from the cooler and the ingredients and roll it around camp. It worked great. MMMM Chocolate ice cream. What a special treat after a week on the road!

IMG_5454.jpg

After dinner we went for an evening stroll around the monument to take in the sunset views. They did not disappoint.

IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2635.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg

yabanja

Explorer
Expo time!

It was expo time! After packing up we headed towards Flagstaff. The highway coming south into Flagstaff from Page has to be the bumpiest road ever. While the suspension was much better than last year, the shocks were still valved about 10 times stiffer than they should be and the ride on the highway was punishing. (a problem I would resolve on our resupply in Salt Lake in a month). We rolled into Flagstaff at about noon and stopped at Safeway for diesel and groceries. It was Thursday before the Overland Expo weekend and they were about to open the gates so everyone was milling around town. There were campers and expo vehicles everywhere. There was some concern as to whether they would let people in, as the fields were muddy from the recent rain, and I think the organizers were a little gun shy after last year's mud debacle. As it turned out moisture wouldn't be the main concern over the weekend. Anyways, we went grocery shopping and when we came out this was parked next to us:

IMG_5456.jpg

The guy's name was Rick and his truck was a very nice custom build. It had hardwoods like a yacht and tons of cool features. He had bought it used for a fraction of it's original cost. That is the way to do it. Rick was on his way East to care for an ailing parent and wouldn't make it to the expo. It was nice to bump into him.

The weather gods were smiling on us and it had dried out enough to go out into the main field to camp. We found a spot in the back forty and staked out a little ground for fellow fuso travellers. As it turned out our friends David and Reagan showed up a short time later to camp with us. Just after that a new camper showed up that I hadn't seen before. It was under construction and had a lot of cool ideas built into it. There was a cloth pop top and a bump out on the side. It was very compact with aero connectors to the cab. All and all very cool. The owner was an engineer. He had hired the assembly out, and the attachment system to the truck was a bit.....scary. Here is our campsite for the weekend.

IMG_5466.jpg

The expo was...well the expo... It was overcrowded, dusty, windy, and......awesome! So many like minded people in one place! This was our third year. Last year we had gone for the full experience with tons of classes and were running around like mad people. This year we decided to lay low and enjoy conversing with all the other people. Can't say which I prefer. There is such a large body of knowledge there and lots to learn. We explored the paddock and saw tons of cool products. I ended up buying a Goal Zero 30 watt solar panel and charger for a screaming deal. Last year we got an Engel fridge for a song. We went down and introduced ourselves to all the Earthcruiser owners who were kind enough to invite us on their after expo trip to the Grand Canyon(more on that later). Nature had another surprise in store for us this year. WIND!! We were parked boxed in with our side to the wind, and one night there were gusts so hard that I considered lowering the top. The strong winds stuck with us for a full day. That morning the truck was rocking so much that the water on the stove for my tea sloshed out. YIKES! Much like last year, this was an excellent opportunity to separate the wheat from the chaff. Most of the roof top tent people packed it in and took off a day early. It was the same the year before with the rain. REALLY!! I'm sorry, but do you think you are going to hop a plane home on the first nasty day of weather on that trip to South America? Posers. Seriously, the scene at the expos is getting a little out of hand. I was considering making a joke expo car out of our 1989 Honda Accord next year. I would make it look like it drove through an AutoZone with a magnet. Satellite dishes protruding out of every crack, big lights, mudflaps, oh, and of course a colorful vinyl graphic scheme.... Then I realized that most people wouldn't get the joke and I'd probably end up with several webzine features..... oh boy. Ok. Rant over. After the riff raff had been scared off by the inclement weather we had a great time with the hearty stock that remained. We met some French travellers in an awesome Land Cruiser based camper that we would bump into again months later in Canada. We also met a guy who lived a couple miles from us back in Salt Lake. New friends. Gotta love it! We had fun watching a giant earth roamer being carefully guided by two instructors over the off road course. Big machine, but capable. I managed to get a nice Mountain Bike ride in with my new friend German in the hills to the west of the expo. There is a ton of backcountry camping out there. It looked really pleasant. We may do that next year and ride our bikes in daily. Here are a few pics we snapped:

IMG_5478.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg

Oh, and of course, Sakshi never misses an opportunity for some dog pandering:

IMG_5471.jpg

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Sedona

We pulled out early Monday morning and turned west. We would be driving dirt roads from the expo to Sedona today and I was really looking forward to it. We took Forest Road 240 west out of Mormon Lake and over the hill towards Munds Park. They were doing prescribed burns in the area and there was a lot of smoke. Seemed really dry and windy for this but, I guess they know what they are doing. At Munds Park we hopped on Highway 17 south for a couple of miles before taking the Schnebly hill exit. Sakshi was feeling frisky so we ended up taking a lot of video. Enjoy!

[video=vimeo;182295274]https://vimeo.com/182295274[/video]
https://vimeo.com/182295274

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94