SONICMASD's 98 Montero LS Build & Adventure Thread: Black Betty

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Thanks guys, most of the hard work was already done for me on this truck so now I just get to add all the fun stuff.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
9/15/16: I decided to end the experiment with the Rocky Road Outfitters' Supersliders and rather than have a local fab shop fix them, I decided to send them back. Even with access to a warehouse full of shipping supplies, patching together a box big enough and sturdy enough for these was a royal PITA.

This box is 6 feet long and weighs around 80-100lbs.

IMG_4595.JPG

Pingis

SONICMASD's 98 Montero LS Build Thread: Black Betty

I'm not too happy with the way the sliders from RRO turned out either. They don't sit flush but I was told that's how it's designed
2c19c2be74266dd4419cf1b6d9add888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SONICMASD

Adventurer
I'm not too happy with the way the sliders from RRO turned out either. They don't sit flush but I was told that's how it's designed
2c19c2be74266dd4419cf1b6d9add888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like your set of sliders have the same problem that mine did, with the front leg being too long (though not as severe). Are your sliders up against the pinchweld at the front or is there a gap?

Pingis

I was told by RRO after I sent them a few photos that it's supposed to stick out a little otherwise the pinchweld wouldn't line up. I guess it makes a little bit of sense but if I had know that I probably wouldn't have ordered em. I went with them because they did great stuff for an old samurai that I had.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
9/23/16: Some friends of ours just built a house up near the rim by Payson, AZ so my wife and I went up there for the weekend to get out of the Phoenix heat. I decided to take the Montero hoping to get some exploring in over the weekend. However, our friends just bought a Yamaha Viking VI side by side and they really wanted to show us around in that. We drove around the local Forest Roads for an hour or so which was cool but all easy dirt roads, nothing a 2wd city suv couldn't handle...albeit slower.

14440940_10106778861259591_718107135050870829_n_e.jpg

On Sunday, on the way back to Phoenix we visited Tonto Natural Bridge - very cool and worth the stop.

14470506_10106778917007871_3088754022334095267_n.jpg

Then I wanted to explore the East Side Verde River Trail but missed the turn off and didn't realize it until way down the road and it would have been a major pain to climb the mountain again and go back to it. So instead, I got off at the Sunflower Mine area and decided to do a little scouting. It was just me and my wife, with hardly any water so I knew that I shouldn't get into anything too gnarly. Rather, just take notes and come back some other time.

We drove all around, found some cool camping spots, and even went down a portion of the main Sunflower Mine Trail until it entered the creek bed and boulder field. At which point I decided that going any further without rock sliders and a convoy would be a bad idea. So we turned around, tried out some other trails, and then headed home.

14390841_10106779188907981_6835545659963758626_n.jpg

9/26/16: The only non-functioning item on Betty that I actually care about (i'm looking at you stock power antenna unit) remaining to fix was a clogged windshield nozzle. I found that the generic ones aren't much cheaper than the OEM ones so I got them from the dealer for $11 each. They come as a unit with the connector and molded hose.
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4663.jpg

10/5/16:
Big news today - I still haven't gotten the refund from Rocky Road Outfitters even though the defective supersliders were returned to them 16 days ago! I got tired of waiting for that money to come back and just decided to move forward with another set of sliders ASAP (especially after seeing the Sunflower Mine boulder field). Betty's previous owner had already purchased the 67" Tacoma Trail-Gear sliders and gusset kit but never got around to installing it. So I purchased them from him and Toasty was nice enough to professionally weld them on for me for a fair price. Super appreciative that Toasty did this because I know how busy he is with other Monty projects.

IMG_4678.jpg

I gave Toasty free range on how to install these given that he is the local Mitsu expert, professional welder, and has done it all before (except he's a flat black guy and i went with semi-gloss ;-) ) . He recommended laying them flat instead of angled upward because he's seen several people bend their sliders up little by little over time and then they can't get their doors open. So maybe over time I'll have a bit of an up angle and still be able to use my doors.

IMG_4679.jpg

Secondly, I really like how he rolled the pinch welds up above the legs of the sliders so that if the body flexes or the sliders move up at all they don't ram into the body in an uncontrolled way. Or that they don't rattle against the body if there is ever any shifting.

IMG_4682.jpg

Super proud to have genuine Toasty craftsmanship on my rig, now if only he will make me a front bumper and winch plate just like his I can leave him alone for a bit.

Last edited:
Love the build so far, thanks for posting. Those pics make me miss Phx and the surrounding areas, our old stomping grounds.. I had the same problem with my windshield nozzles. I cleaned them in vinegar and used guitar string to clean them out until they were patent but every time I sent any fluid through them, they clogged instantly. My reservoir is probably a mess and needs to be cleaned/replaced.. Anyhow, staying tuned for the rest. Good luck!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Glad you're happy, I'll keep you posted on armor dude!

For everyone watching those rocker dents were not from me :elkgrin:

All-Terrain

No Road Required
SONICMASD, great thread!!

I'd love to know the specs and brand/model # of the 15x8 wheels you bought - any chance you can find out?

Thanks!

SONICMASD

Adventurer
SONICMASD, great thread!!

I'd love to know the specs and brand/model # of the 15x8 wheels you bought - any chance you can find out?

Thanks!

No problem - I couldn't find any sort of identifying marks on the wheels but I've noticed that many many brands make this exact 8 hole shape. The important stuff is this: Alloy, 15x8, 6x5.5 bolt pattern, 3.5" Back Spacing, 4.25" (108mm) Centerbore. The secret to finding them on Craigslist/OfferUp is to search "Chevy Wheels" or "Chevy Rims" because 6 lug Chevy trucks are the most common source for wheels with our bolt pattern and large centerbore.

Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
10/8/16:It's been 40k since the diffs and transfer case have had their fluids changed so I tackled that today.

Nothing but the best for my girl:
IMG_4589e.jpg

IMG_4691.JPG

The previous owner had used Valvoline Synthetic, I'm not sure what color it was going in but here's a comparison of the old vs. the new:
IMG_4696.JPG

Regarding the capacities, they matched up pretty closesly with what the manual states: 3.3 Rear, 1.3 Front. Except for the Transfer Case. It is supposed to take 2.6 qts but I was only able to get 2 qts in there. Any ideas on why that is? I'm guessing it's just because you can't get everything out from a simple drain and refill?

SONICMASD

Adventurer
10/10/16: Got a new backpack today. Also makes for a good exterior shovel mount when wedged between the Trasharoo and Spare Tire and then secured with a couple ball bungees. I'm not too worried about the possibility of someone stealing my shovel cuz even if that happens they are like $10.

I plan to not only use this to haul my trash out of the wilderness but also as a way to haul my firewood in. Also makes a great place to put wet or stinky clothes, muddy boots, etc.

Disclaimer: Was a ********** to install. Most buyers have a swing out tire carrier which makes it a lot easier. But no instructions are included and the adjustment straps are finicky.

IMG_4697e.jpg
IMG_4698.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
Disclaimer: Was a ********** to install.......

Yes, yes and Yes!

I normally leave mine on only for trips... but I do like the idea of just leaving it on.... I actually noticed a couple of holes from a recent trip where it was rubbing on the spare tire

snare

Adventurer
Enjoying this thread. Love the trip and the truck pics. Please post more when you have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne