Vanny Devito. Pop-top Lifted Astro Build

jdreier

Observer
So this is way overdue. I've read, reread, and then reread build threads on Expedition Portal for as long as i've owned my van (coming up on three years now). I've been influenced from many others here. I figured it was time to share with the community my build. It's a 2004 awd Chevy Astro with a 4in lift and a pop-top transplanted from a mid 90s ford Aerostar Chinook.

Over the course of the almost three years i've owned my van, i've been across the country multiple times. I purchased it in New Hampshire with 98k miles from the original owner. Drove it back to Nebraska in the middle of the winter. Here's what he looked like after I bought it.
2014-01-11 16.59.43.jpg

The van went through a multitude of interior build-outs. Each one changing to match the trip I was going on. I don't full-time in my van, and I often use it to haul photo and video equipment. So a modular buildout has always been a goal of mine.

Here's a couple build-outs throughout the years....

One of the first builds, a simple back bunk.
2014-03-23 13.41.12.jpg

Here's that latest build-out before I put on the pop-top.

_DSC8072.jpg
_DSC8084.jpg
_DSC8090.jpg
_DSC8062.jpg

The passenger swivel seat is a custom fabbed mount from a member here on EP. Johnny5 I believe. He did an amazing job with the build. I know a couple others here also have his swivel. It's awesome. _DSC8097.jpg

Earlier this year I also installed a 4in lift. I pieced together my own lift... with a lot of parts recommended on various threads here. 2in body spacers up front with a torsion bar crank, and new S10 leaf springs from SDtrucksprings.com on the back. That with some BFG AT KO2 tires. I believe they're 245/70R16.

Here's the van after the lift.
_DSC0059.jpg

And another in Utah on a rock climbing trip.

13071952_10102398758620463_4461471561457456033_o.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 11.25.40 AM.jpg

Last edited:

jdreier

Observer
The whole time i've owned my van, i've always dreamed of having a pop-top or a fiberglass hightop installed. As many of you know, space in the Astro is very limited. I've talked with various companies about getting one installed, but I could never really justify the high price tag of one. I almost went with a fiberglass top from Fiberine, until one day I was cruising craigslist and found a post about a Ford Aerostar Chinook pop-top. The seller posted images, and dimensions on it. I measured everything on my van, and sure enough it was going to fit! So I drove from Nebraska to Colorado and picked up the top. About a month ago, I cut a hole in my roof with a jig-saw and installed the top. Everything wen't pretty smooth. I measured everything, and remeasured almost a million times. There's no going back after cutting a 3ft x 6ft hole in the roof of your van.

Here's the top after I got it
2016-08-08 13.04.58-2.jpg

Here's the top installed on the van. Not a perfect fit, but pretty damn close.

_DSC3289.jpg

The top down...

_DSC3293.jpg

The interior headline from the inside. I tried to keep it as "stock" as possible. Reusing my headliner.

_DSC3308.jpg

jdreier

Observer
This past weekend I finished building some top-bunk panels. I used materials I already had on hand from previous builds. The 4in foam I used for up top is kind of thick. The top still closes with three of the four panels installed, but it's tight. I'll probably go back and redo these panels with 2 or 3in foam later, but for now it's pretty good.

_DSC3325.jpg

View from up top

_DSC3336.jpg

View from down below when all the panels are up

_DSC3317.jpg

View of the panels stacked up in the back with the pop-top up.

_DSC3342.jpg

These aren't perfect, but they get the job done right now.

Now I'm concentrating on the actual camper buildout inside. I'm leaning towards a westaflia-like build. With the sink and cabinets along the driver side, and a convertible bed/bench on the passenger side. I still use this van for a lot of gear hauling, so I'm trying to decide on the best route for a modular build. I'd like to easily take everything out when needed. I've got some rough plans drawn up. I'm also no master carpenter, so a lot of my build process of through trial and error. I plan on starting that build this week... as long as the rain holds out.

Thats my build so far. I'd appreciate any recommendations or questions. Again I can't say thank you enough to all the other members on here who've i've pulled inspiration from.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Excellent attention to detail, and a very nice van. Why no company sells a van like this in the USA currently blows my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior