Vanny Devito. Pop-top Lifted Astro Build

nobodyhome

Adventurer
HOLY $&!(##$% BATMAN!

:bowdown: :26_7_2: :clapsmile

...can I subscribe to this build... twice?
Would you mind posting some additional details, like the seat/ bed hinges, water system, etc?

Thanks!

jdreier

Observer
Would you mind posting some additional details, like the seat/ bed hinges, water system, etc?

Thanks!

Thanks man. I'll try to snap some photos of the seats here. They're held together with piano hinges. Right now i'm just using some velcro to keep the boards from sliding forward in bench mode. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and it worked flawlessly.

_DSC3397.jpg

My water system is pretty basic. Right now i'm using a 7gallon fresh water tank, and a 3gallon grey water tank. I also use a small electric pump, thats powered by my solar panels. Here's a photo of the setup. The water on top of the fresh water tank was from the sink hose, I had just emptied the grey water tank and the hose leaked a little onto the tank.

_DSC5659.jpg

Also a couple photos of the van in it's natural habitat.

_DSC5650-Edit.jpg

_DSC4840.jpg

I can't get enough of Southern Utah.

_DSC5564.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
WHOA, beautiful van in a beautiful land, hard to beat.

Thanks for the info, I really like the setup, similar to what I was picturing with the Westy approach, neat to see it all together. I was trying to figure out how to do the extension for the bed and will likely go with this; well done sir. Are the rear benches road worthy, as in seat belts, safe, etc? I'm trying to find a solution that is safe for my daughter; still trying.

Thanks!

Jlan

Sweet van & great build! If you can fabricate a bunch of interiors and source some tops, you could go into business! (This is my way of getting you to build me one ;)

beansandrice

That looks awesome!! I'm currently figuring out how to install my pop top on my Astro. The white rails that the top bunk lays on look really great. Do you happen to have any additional pics or info on the materials you used for that or how you connected the railing to the van's top? I'd really appreciate it! Lookin' great!

jdreier

Observer
That looks awesome!! I'm currently figuring out how to install my pop top on my Astro. The white rails that the top bunk lays on look really great. Do you happen to have any additional pics or info on the materials you used for that or how you connected the railing to the van's top? I'd really appreciate it! Lookin' great!

Those white rails were a part of the pop-top itself... which made the whole install process super easy.

Here's a photo of the top (upside-down) before I installed it. You can see that the "white rails" are actually a part of the whole bottom assembly that attached to the van. basically I cut a 3ftx6ft hole in the roof, then slid the top on. Buytl tape seals between the top and the van. Everything is held down with like 40 sheet metal screws. So far I haven't had any leaks.
2016-08-08 13.03.06.jpg
2016-08-08 13.04.58.jpg

Last edited:

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Thanks for the video link. Man, you did a beautiful job.

I have zero cabinet making tools. And only slightly less cabinet making skills. Mind sharing what you used? And the site(s) where you learned about cabinet making?

Thanks,
Robert

Wow is all I have to say. I've only been on this site for a few months, apparently I need to do some more viewing of older threads. I just love when ones like this get bumped to the top. :Wow1:

jdreier

Observer
Thanks. Vanny is still kicking. I haven't done many upgrades since the latest buildout, except for some maintenance. I've replaced the radiator, water pump, and encoder motor for the awd transfer case. I plan on eventually installing a selectable transfer case out of a s10/blazer, but it's been too hot here lately to really want to wrench on my van.

My girlfriend and I did manage to get out to Moab in the spring to do some camping, and light wheeling. We did the schafer switchbacks, and part of the white rim trail. I plan on going back to do all of the white rim trail once I have a rear locker and a selectable transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne