The PDXJ: Project 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
20161016_170904_zps3jrikyxi.jpg

Fit up the JCR Vanguard front bumper today. And apparently, my entire head turned yellow last night, too. :p

Great fit and finish; went on without incident. Also installed WARN WR spot lights in the ports. Will be hooking them up to the OE fog light switch.

Will be installing a WARN ZEON 8-S on the front, too.

And not to complain, but man: you need all the wrenches when working on Cherokees! SAE, metric, torx—oh my! I'm pretty sure every project is twice as long looking for the right wrench!

I also discovered a vacuum leak when relocating the vacuum ball behind the bumper, so that'll need to get fixed, too.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Thirty-Nine;2176764 So question for you XJ guys: I have a 3" lift on my rig. Does such a lift require longer brake lines? I know YJ ones are apparently longer. FYI said:
It can't hurt. I use Chevy 1500 pick up lines on the front of mine at just over 5 inches.

unkamonkey

Explorer
It can't hurt. I use Chevy 1500 pick up lines on the front of mine at just over 5 inches.
Yep, it can't hurt. I was redoing the brakes on the 3B and replaced all of the rubber lines with longer ones. Only a 2 inch lift but it was time to replace them all anyway. Rear axle is easy but on the front lines I had to clock things as I tightened them up so they wouldn't hit a tire at the wrong time.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Thanks for your replies, guys. FYI, we posted a bit about installing the Skyjacker suspension on our blog site if you're interested.

http://crankshaftculture.com/2016/10/20/giving-jeep-cherokee-lift/

14708057_1783283498594817_7249350328273892408_o_zpszagipapd.jpg

We did take the truck and trailer out for its maiden off-pavement voyage after the lift/tires, and did a little camping. Didn't flex anything out due to the brake lines not being done yet. I did, however, get a chance to put the Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ tires to a test. There were some large gravel mounds to play around on at the Ground Hog Rock Crawl, and the tires provided plenty of bite.

XJ-UP-HILL_zpscawkoyx1.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
IMG_20161009_220238_zpshwfpoo69.jpg

So question for you XJ guys: I have a 3" lift on my rig. Does such a lift require longer brake lines? I know YJ ones are apparently longer. FYI, I do have front swaybar disconnects, so it will flex out more (I also have longer Daystar bumpstops)

The short answer is Yes! When your anti-sway bar is disconnected and you've got longer than stock shocks, you'll need the longer brakes lines. They're cheap enough and worth the investment for peace of mind.(Not to mention the absolute safety aspect!)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
The short answer is Yes! When your anti-sway bar is disconnected and you've got longer than stock shocks, you'll need the longer brakes lines. They're cheap enough and worth the investment for peace of mind.(Not to mention the absolute safety aspect!)

Got it! I'll definitely be buying longer lines.

BNJeepsta

At only 3" of lift and short arms, there is really no reason to replace the front brake lines. You can just straighten out the hard lines in the front and move the mount down a little. For the rear, just buy the rubber hose for a YJ. They are cheap (~$15) at any parts store.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
At only 3" of lift and short arms, there is really no reason to replace the front brake lines. You can just straighten out the hard lines in the front and move the mount down a little. For the rear, just buy the rubber hose for a YJ. They are cheap (~$15) at any parts store.

Even with front swaybar disconnects there's no reason?

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
That can be argued seven ways from Sunday. From what I've learned, no two Jeeps end up working *exactly* the same way. I'm of the mindset to replace them and be done with it. Perhaps you won't need to. Try this - take the swaybar loose, go to a ditch or something and start flexing it out slowly while someone watches and see how taut the line gets and decide from there. BN Jeepsta is correct in that you can straighten the hard line and gain a few inches. I did that also. New lines seem to me to be cheap insurance. The one thing that amazes me about Jeepers (and probably most other makes also) is the importance people put on their spending. $300 for a light bar? YES SIR! $35 for new brake lines? Nah, I'll just straighten the lines.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
The one thing that amazes me about Jeepers (and probably most other makes also) is the importance people put on their spending. $300 for a light bar? YES SIR! $35 for new brake lines? Nah, I'll just straighten the lines.

I think just about every Jeep owner is guilty of this, including myself:D

Fursphere

Observer
I evaluate parts / upgrades the same way I buy tools from Harbor Freight.

1) If it breaks, will I bleed? (yes = don't buy from HF)
2) Do I need it to last more than one job (or trip)? (Yes, don't go cheap)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I think just about every Jeep owner is guilty of this, including myself:D

I think we all are. I actually work in the automotive aftermarket, and know exactly how this goes!

I have no problem buying the lines at all, just wasn't sure if I'd need to. However, I will be doing so for cheap insurance. We were up on a mountain this weekend, and I was thinking what would've happened if the brakes would've gone out. HINT: It wouldn't have been good.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
OK, one more brake line/cable question: I will definitely be getting longer lines. However, will I also need to get longer parking brake cables?

Overland History

Wanderluster
OK, one more brake line/cable question: I will definitely be getting longer lines. However, will I also need to get longer parking brake cables?

Very unlikely you will need longer ones at 3in of lift. You can adjust the cables more slack at the splitter box where they meet, which should be on the driver's side framerail, since you have a newer model XJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94