The PDXJ: Project 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
You can adjust the cables more slack at the splitter box where they meet, which should be on the driver's side framerail, since you have a newer model XJ.

Perfect. This is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

EDIT: I see that NAPA (and others) have YJ lines for those with ABS and those without. It appears the only difference ares some clips. Any advice on which to get? The price is $15 difference per line for the YJ w/ABS lines vs. standard ones.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Perfect. This is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

EDIT: I see that NAPA (and others) have YJ lines for those with ABS and those without. It appears the only difference ares some clips. Any advice on which to get? The price is $15 difference per line for the YJ w/ABS lines vs. standard ones.

Thoughts?

Does your XJ have ABS? You can tell by looking at your axle shafts to see if they have tone rings between the wheel bearing and u-joint, or if there is an extra black wire alongside your brake line.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Does your XJ have ABS? You can tell by looking at your axle shafts to see if they have tone rings between the wheel bearing and u-joint, or if there is an extra black wire alongside your brake line.

It does. The NAPA description for the YJ w/ABS says:

• "4-Wheel ABS;4" Added Length For Raised Suspension"
http://napaau.to/2gdgC8S

I was told that they come with the clip that holds the ABS wires. I've also since read that you can simply zip tie them together.

I'm told I can go with the standard lines w/o the ABS from the YJ and they'll work.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
IMG_20161208_091244_zpslvtnuhru.jpg

Now with 100% more WARN Winch. Here's the all-new WARN VR10-S on the JCR Vanguard bumper. Getting Cranky equipped for a snow photoshoot in the next couple of weeks.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Had a bunch of work done at Nitro Gear and Axle last week.

• Went from a 3.07 ratio to 4.56
• Rear ARB air locker installed
• 30 spline rear axles added
• New diff covers with drain/fill holes

regearing.jpg

nitro-axle.jpg

nitro-diff-cover.jpg

Broken in, fluid swapped out.

Unrelated, getting a random cyl. 3 misfire (P0303). I still need to change out the plugs and check the coil pack. It's been off for about 300 miles now, but still should have it looked at. I just hope I don't have to deal with the bad head thing. I know there as a TSB for heat soak on the cyl 3 fuel injector.

Drove up to BC for New Year's and ran into some snow. Jeep did great! Also managed to get the sliders from JCR installed.

15774772_1818541568402343_6270625111989116020_o_zpsa86q0avy.jpg

Next plans include:

• New plugs, check coil
• New front swaybar bushings (mine are shot)
• New LED headlights from JW Speaker
• Actually get out and hit the trails!

In fact, I just wrote a little editorial on our blog Crankshaft Culture about how working less on the vehicle and actually driving it is a New Year's resolution.

http://crankshaftculture.com/2017/01/05/new-years-resolution-work-less-jeep/

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
The PDXJ got to play in the snow again!

15977442_1823408834582283_3868358387455830618_n_zps0gt72krh.jpg

FYI, I've been really impressed by the Yokohama Geolandar MT+ tires in the snow.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Made a few updates to the PDXJ. Changed out the spark plugs (I know, super exciting). However, I also installed a set of J.W. Speaker Evolution 8900 LED headlights to replace the sealed-beam units. Just like changing out any other headlight. Granted, I had to remove the parking lights and such due to my grille guard.

headlights_zpscumdirlm.jpg

I drove with them today for the first time, and so far, so good. Quite a bit brighter than the OE lights.

led-headlight-model-8900-evo-black-front-2016-500x500.jpg

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
15493469_1809205562669277_7500186608664905073_o_zps3zkbp9jr.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, we pull a Dinoot J-Series with our Cherokee. It's on matching 31x10.50 Yokohama Geolander MT+ tires and 1.25" spacers to fit. I flopped the axle years ago to give it the lift. Trailer is fiberglass with a welded square tube frame. Very light. Features custom Bushwacker Pocket Style flares off of a TJ (cut down slightly), Thule roof rails and a CVT Mt. Bachelor tent. We also carry 10 gallons of fuel on the tongue.

RodB

Nitro

Is there a Nitro location in Portland or did you travel to get the gearing done?

Had a bunch of work done at Nitro Gear and Axle last week.

• Went from a 3.07 ratio to 4.56
• Rear ARB air locker installed
• 30 spline rear axles added
• New diff covers with drain/fill holes

regearing.jpg

nitro-axle.jpg

nitro-diff-cover.jpg

Broken in, fluid swapped out.

/[/url]

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Is there a Nitro location in Portland or did you travel to get the gearing done?

I just drove up there for a couple of days. :)

16665954_1839787566277743_6894223712284485523_o_zpsryynlvv8.jpg

Took it out to the dunes. First time with it in the sand. Did great! It's nice to have triple-digit horsepower for a change (vs. my old 95 hp Suzuki).

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Any MPG numbers pre- and post-gear-swap? Throttle response must be much nicer post-swap.

I realize you got the narrowed Dinoot because it was available and you were towing with the Zuke. Do you find it too small now? I'm wanting to build/get a Dinoot and I'm working thru the different sizes and options.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Use the DEI fuel rail/injector insulator kit. It works great and will fix the hot soak issue once and for all

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Any MPG numbers pre- and post-gear-swap? Throttle response must be much nicer post-swap.

I realize you got the narrowed Dinoot because it was available and you were towing with the Zuke. Do you find it too small now? I'm wanting to build/get a Dinoot and I'm working thru the different sizes and options.

So, since we went with 4.56 gears (vs. 4.10), the mileage actually dropped. I have only filled up three times since getting the gears done, and fuel economy has ranged from 13.5 to 11.5 MPG, but none have been really representative. They rig has been in 4WD a lot due to snow and some time at the dunes, which burns up the fuel. Regardless, the 4.56s are not going to help fuel economy on 31x10.50s. This isn't my daily, so I'm not too concerned. With mostly highway miles, can get a tick over 200 miles on a tank. I do wonder if going up to a 32 or 33 inch tire would actually improve mileage. However, that's not going to happen for a long time if ever. Throttle response is awesome, and low range is vastly improved. I can't wait to get it on some real trails to experience the creepy-crawly ratio.

No, I don't find the narrowed Dinoot too small at all. I thought it might look like a dingy behind the Cherokee, but it doesn't. We travel pretty light, since we had so many years with a Suzuki. Works great.

Use the DEI fuel rail/injector insulator kit. It works great and will fix the hot soak issue once and for all

Outstanding--thanks for the info. I'll be picking one up.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
So, since we went with 4.56 gears (vs. 4.10), the mileage actually dropped. I have only filled up three times since getting the gears done, and fuel economy has ranged from 13.5 to 11.5 MPG, but none have been really representative. They rig has been in 4WD a lot due to snow and some time at the dunes, which burns up the fuel. Regardless, the 4.56s are not going to help fuel economy on 31x10.50s. This isn't my daily, so I'm not too concerned. With mostly highway miles, can get a tick over 200 miles on a tank. I do wonder if going up to a 32 or 33 inch tire would actually improve mileage. However, that's not going to happen for a long time if ever. Throttle response is awesome, and low range is vastly improved.

If anything you are probably way over-geared currently. Someone I used to know had an XJ with 4.56 gearing and 32" tires and was over-geared but like you it wasn't his daily. He just liked the throttle response and offroad performance. Too bad he sold it, it was a sweet XJ

Truthfully, I'm jealous you get 11.5-13.5 mpg. I'm lucky to get 11 sometimes and I'm geared properly for my tires

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
If anything you are probably way over-geared currently. Someone I used to know had an XJ with 4.56 gearing and 32" tires and was over-geared but like you it wasn't his daily. He just liked the throttle response and offroad performance. Too bad he sold it, it was a sweet XJ

Truthfully, I'm jealous you get 11.5-13.5 mpg. I'm lucky to get 11 sometimes and I'm geared properly for my tires

Yeah, it is over geared. The last tank of gas, which was mostly highway, some time in the sand in 4WD, ended up getting 14+ MPG. EPA rating (stock) is 15/17/20, so I'm not complaining. I also have a winch, winch bumper, rock sliders, roof basket with spare tire up there, and 31s so a bit more weight than stock. 14 is pretty livable. Range is only a tick over 200, however.

It's funny—I keep hearing 11-13 MPG is good! My Sidekick got 18-23 MPG, which was good. My WRX gets about 20 which is ok. My Toyota Yaris gets 35-38. Now THAT'S good. It is, however, terrible off road. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier