The PDXJ: Project 2001 Jeep Cherokee

unkamonkey

Explorer
There is a reason I carry both metric and SAE tools in my Jeep. I'm not quite up to some of the British stuff.
It's good you got it going.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Glad your XJ is back in business and the vibes are gone. Great story on you website!

Thanks! Headed for Overland Expo West tomorrow. The Jeep will be in the WARN booth. Hoping everything is good to go. Bringing a few spare parts with me this time! :D

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
expobound_zps8azwsjvi.jpg

Somewhere near Aiden, CA.

Rollin_zpsuus5l28i.jpg

Rolling into Marble Canyon with the crew.

The-PDXJ_zpszxl55zrk.jpg

Camping in Marble Canyon, AZ

You can see our coverage of Expo here:
http://crankshaftculture.com/2017/05/24/2017-overland-expo-west/

Needing to do a few things before Jeep Jamboree in a couple weeks and then NW Overland Rally and BC Overland Rally.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
PDXJ-Hurricane-Ridge.jpg

Took The PDXJ up to Belfair, WA and ran the trails at Tahuya State Park, then up around the Olympic Peninsula. Went up to Hurricane Ridge, too. Didn't get to spend much time there, but it was very scenic.

Anyhow, the PDXJ is making quite a bit of racket. It sounds like a crack in the exhaust manifold—I know these are infamous for cracking. I'll take a look at this weekend. It's ticked for a while, but it's getting really loud, although it is much better once it warms up.

Since it's an '01, it has the forward/back two-piece manifold, the downpipe with pre-cats, and four oxygen sensors. I figure while I'm down there, I might as well replace the whole darn thing. I might as well just have my paycheck directly deposited into my local NAPA auto parts store. Ugh.

offroad_co

Hows your JCR tire carrier doing? I installed mine and I've noticed that it has some vibrations and rattling. The vibrations normally come when Im cruising at a constant speed and I hit the natural frequency of the bumper. If i accelerate or brake the vibes will go away. If I push down on the latch end of the tire carrier, i can clearly see if move up and down which is what leads to the vibes while driving. Also the latch design isn't super tight, so I get some rattling when I go over bumps. Have you noticed any of these things with your JCR tire carrier?

paroxysym

Adventurer
so did your 01 manifold crack? the consensus on this is the 00-01 XJ manifolds were some of the sturdiest of the XJ manifolds. I have an exhaust like tick im curious if it is my manifold or just a leak/loose clamp.

how those JW speaker headlights treating you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz