Bajablazer85: 1985 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Build

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just a note about the VATS system that you may already be aware of that might help your wiring cause.

You can do some testing to find which one of 15 resistors that can be added in the wiring harness that will "Fool" the VATS system into working properly without a "Chip Key" allowing the use of regular GM keys. This "might" make your wiring life easier and keep the smog police happy as the VATS system will still be installed and working (wink wink). There are lot's of posts on the net about this mod.

BlueLantern

Just found this thread and read through it as fast as I could. As many have posted I too have a great fondness for these s10 Blazers. Growing up my Dad owned an 88 2 door and a 91 Jimmy. They were solid and amazing vehicles that were underappreciated for their capabilities. I had a friend with a YJ and our Blazer would go every where he could go (and I got stuck less time than he did). Please, Please keep up your amazing work on this resto!
Side not that color you have the Wheels painted :love::love:

Andrew_S

Observer
Weather or not you see this, I'm glad whatever I'm doing is inspiring to you! Let me know if you ever got your build going or if you have any questions.
Man awesome to see an update in here. Thanks for the offer but I did the swap and am running it/loving it now. Thanks for the inspiration, seriously, don't think I would have bothered if it wasn't for reading your thread. Love the pic of the new hood prop rod retainer and new rubber strip/plastic push pins. Putting new stuff back together makes all the hassle of yanking and cutting old ******** apart worth it.
Looking forward to seeing more updates in the future.

Andrew

1stDeuce

Explorer
I did a Camaro 3.4l swap into a Comanche that had the same carbureted 2.8L as your Blazer. The wiring wasn't that bad, and it is quite a bit more fun to drive! I used a VATS bypass kit rather than trying to keep VATS working. The bypass wired in and you wouldn't know where it is unless I told you.

I am actually heading out today to pick up a 1988 Jimmy with a TBI 2.8L. I'm going to swap the front accy drive and TBI setup on onto the 3.4L and get rid of the MPI Camaro fuel injection. The TBI setup will look more like the original carb setup and fit better under the hood. Swapping to the Blazer accy drive will let me have an engine driven fan instead of the crappy electric fan I've been running, and I'll also get A/C working again. The Camaro setup put the A/C pump right in the frame of the Comanche, so I also had to use the A/C delete pulley you have on your conversion...

Thanks for updating this thread! It's nice to see your progress and the nice work you do!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles