Bajablazer85: 1985 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Build

Andrew_S

Observer
Welp you inspired me. I just picked up a camaro and am doing a 3.4 swap at the moment as well. Would love to see some more pics of this build. The quality of work you are doing is really great to see.

I'm very sorry I've left everyone in the dark on this build. I still have it and I wrench from time to time. I have project ADD, so i bounce around on different things, and this is taking a backseat. Plus, i tend to casually post on instagram or twitter.

From the point I had left off in posting, the interior stripping continued and electrical also began. I removed all traces of the old OBD1 feedback carburator system from the truck. No more!
IMG_9214.jpg

The front chassis harness was stripped from the truck, and all the bulb sockets and connectors cleaned up.
IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9225.jpg

Back to the interior. Mocked up that Grant Corvette wheel I had been hanging on to. Motivation is key.
IMG_9906.jpg

In order for the engine to run on the Camaro's PCM (required for Ca smog laws) I had to retain the Vehicle Anti Theft system, including the chipped RFID ignition key. In order to retain that, I had to modify the Blazer's steering column to fit the RFID reader. So I used the Camaro's column and repainted it brown to match.
IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9341.jpg

IMG_9901.jpg

A fresh indicator stalk was put in to match the level of restoration I was after.
IMG_9314.jpg

And next, the ignition switch was removed and disassembled. I had began to map out each key position on the switch and identifying which systems became active at each position. Since I've been away from the project for so long, this is where I will pick back up on a future post. But I will continue to update in other areas of the build which I have accomplished in the year that I've been radio silent.
IMG_9321.jpg

In these photos we can see I had began installing grounding straps and figuring out PCM and engine harness routing.

IMG_0778.jpg

With the wiring harness lengths coming together, the PCM seems to be naturally wanting to sit on top of the passenger fender well. On one hand there is concern as to weather it will be safe there from water intrusion. On the other hand, thats where it was on the Camaro and it seems to be perfectly happy. It appears to be water tight, and uses 100% weatherpack connectors. I may revisit this.

Last edited:
Haha I know right.

I'm gonna spend some time resizing images, since they're going up way too big and I dont wanna kill yall's bandwidth.

Last edited:
At this point as I recall, I had become completely overwhelmed with electrical. It has never been my strong suit, and it shows. So I decided to switch gears onto body reassembly. First, all the exterior panels were removed from storage and I set out cleaning and painting the insides of them.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

Once all the pieces were organized and layed out, I sat down with my favorite catalog and COMBED it for parts.

IMG_0839.jpg

A week later, it was like Christmas in the middle of summer.

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

I sprung for new reservoirs for all fluids. Had to.
IMG_0930.jpg

Another fender was acquired from the junk yard, as the original had seen some deforming sue to an accident. That'll explain the mismatched paint.
IMG_0958.jpg

Last edited:
This is the type of stuff I wrench for. I love putting things back together in -just- the right way.

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

Checking body alignment as I go. I was pleased to find that minimal shims were needed.
IMG_0961.jpg

The hood got a new insulation pad.
IMG_0965.jpg

As many of you may had noticed, I switched from the original 1985 grille to a 1991 grille. Well, i wanted to bring the truck back to it's roots. So as part of the massive LMC truck order, I got a reproduction grille, headlight bezels, and filler panel to achieve this.
IMG_0998.jpg

I disassembled the recirculation valve under the windshield cowl to inspect function, and found it had broke.
IMG_0952.jpg

In typical GM cheapness fashion, the door hinge is a thin strip of plastic, which unsurprisingly fatigues over time.
IMG_0946.jpg

Nothing a few brass hinges won't fix.
IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

Once the body was back together, I could dress up the engine and mount all the ancillary items such as cooling system components, cruise control, and intake.

IMG_1021.jpg

Always down for a Summit racing order.

IMG_1262.jpg

I came up with a design for a fan shroud as opposed to mounting the fans directly to the radiator. As I type this up a year later, I think I'm going to scrap this idea, but I'll share my process nonetheless.

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

The Camaro's original intake elbow was coming up too large to fit behind the radiator and shroud....
IMG_1947.jpg

So a short radius 90 and circle-to-oval adaptor was employed for the task.
IMG_1948.jpg

Bungs for the MAF sensor and crankcase vent tube were epoxied in the new intake tubing.
IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

I don't have many photos of the radiator hoses. However, no off-the-shelf parts could be used in my application. I mated the 2.8L radiator-side hoses to the 3.4L engine-side hoses with a coupling, and it all went together nicely.

At this point in my life, I moved from the Bay Area, California to Sacramento. Production on the project really took a hit after this move, as I began to acquire other projects and just get distracted in general.

The truck was relocated, and I waved goodbye to the tiny single-car garage. So much had been accomplished in this tiny space, but it was time to move up.
IMG_2999.jpg

On the way to our new home, I dumped the original 2.8L at a scrap yard. It was a bittersweet moment, as this pokey little engine carried the truck into my life and on so many adventures.
IMG_2997.jpg

Once in its new home, I continued leisurely poking at the project...taking apart the interior down to bare metal so that I may eventually begin running electrical and restoring certain pieces as need be.
IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

I jumped ahead of myself and got the wheels restored. I discovered a paint/body shop across the street from my new office, so I had them paint up the Camaro RS wheels in Toyota Sunset Mica Metallic (code 4U3). I think I'm going to paint the whole truck in this color when the time comes!
IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3008.jpg

That pretty much brings me to where I'm at now on the build. I'm coming back around and re-doing some of my previous work, and then I will take another stab at electrical. I'm also building a B-series EF Honda, which is very intense in electrical work, and I hope that what I learn from that build will carry over into this truck. Stay tuned for more.
IMG_5204.jpg

Welp you inspired me. I just picked up a camaro and am doing a 3.4 swap at the moment as well. Would love to see some more pics of this build. The quality of work you are doing is really great to see.

Weather or not you see this, I'm glad whatever I'm doing is inspiring to you! Let me know if you ever got your build going or if you have any questions.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Love your restomod build! As a kid, the S10/S15 Blazers were my favorite vehicles. And then when I was in my early 20s, I bought an '83 with the 2.8. That engine quickly ruined my favor for them... I think your 3.4 swap was necessary, and I agree it should help keep some of the charm. I know projects like this can get frustrating and pushed off to the back burner, but I'm glad to see you're still with it after all of these years.

Keep on keepin' on, this thing will be back together eventually and you'll have awesome memories of your teenage years and your grandfather.

rkj__

Adventurer
Back in the day, I really enjoyed following the progress on this build. I'm happy to see the project has not been entirely abandoned.

All that electrical work does not look like any fun at all to me, so I can see how your motivation might dip when faced with those tasks on the to-do list. I can't imagine a similar undertaking on a modern vehicle....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles