School me on toilets

rotti

Adventurer
Any chance your wife would go for this?

HXGNgKE.jpg

outback97

Adventurer
The finger pinching description I agree with - I use a pair of needle nose pliers to close mine up, and keep my fingers away from the latches.

But "single use"? - Unless it's #2, I use my Wag Bags multiple times (especially during the night), and tie it all up in the morning. They just keep on solidifying whatever you put into them.

I have never experienced any odor with Wag Bags, but by their very contents ... I too always keep the bags outside my vehicle if obliged to transport waste out of any given camping area.

I like the PETT because of how compact it all folds up to be (including the shelter), but in reality - it's absolutely no different than a paint bucket with a toilet seat lid on it!

Sorry, I probably could have worded that better. By "single use" I meant single purpose... the PETT is only a toilet. Space being at a premium I like it when gear serves more than one purpose, as long as it does it well. The bucket as described in this post can be and has been used for other things besides a toilet "platform".

Maybe I have had bad batches of the bags, I'm not sealing them right, or my **** just stinks more. Not odor free for me. Significantly reduces odor, absolutely!

Roger M.

Adventurer
My Cleanwaste set up isn't really for me, most of the places I set up shop just require a shovel, a hole under the stars, and excellent balance.

Even the Strap'n'Crap noted above is seriously over-kit for my solo camping trips :)

My accompanied camping trips demand something like the Cleanwaste set up - so I bring it along to appease the gentry.

MzPriss

Observer
A woman's perspective: I bought a very inexpensive porta potty at Walmart. I've used it for years. I also have one with a bag to keep in the tent for over nights. They both serve a purpose. The chemical porta potty has become my least favorite, due to the clean up factor but at no time have I ever had an odor issue with it. The bag one does have an odor though. I take both, but I have the room. The chem porta potty stays in the potty tent. Get both....let her decide what works best. Also...a can of lysol for the campground facilities. I have a little travel size tucked into the glove box of my car for those "just in case" moments.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Some commercial outfitters will use something like the Partner just due to the cost. Private trips do a variety of things depending on where they are going.

One of the most popular is the Eco-safe since it's accepted everywhere. http://www.nrs.com/product/73050.02/eco-safe-toilet-system
You can take multiple tanks for long trips or big groups but it takes two rocket boxes to pack it (tank plus one for the lid, etc.) plus another one for each extra tank. Bomp proof but bigger than other options. I've also used an unlined rocket box with a seat fit to it but that's a whole different cleaning experience ;) RV chemicals, powdered bleach, groover tamer, all work for odor control.

The eco-safe/rocket box setup is accepted by NPS/BLM/etc. etc. They are pretty picky about your toilet system. For other trips that don't go through national parks you can get away with buckets with gamma lids or wag bags/pett. Another option I've seen is taking the bags and stuffing them in a pvc pipe with a threaded end. No stink and durable for river use. A lot of it depends on the regulations for where you are floating, but since there are very few like the eco, partner, rocket box, that can get used anywhere, most groups just invest in that and use it instead of switching around.

Generally though, I wouldn't recommend a rafting type setup for what you guys are doing. Rafting is a communal sport, large groups for multiple days so the toilet setups are big and heavy. Pett or thetford type are better for this.

socalctcamper

Observer
I bought the all famous Lugable Loo. Makes my wife camping experience much better. I add cat litter and put the bucket in the shower enclosure. I'm happy and she loves it. Get the bucket with the toilet seat, it's not that much more.

robgendreau

Explorer
Some commercial outfitters will use something like the Partner just due to the cost. Private trips do a variety of things depending on where they are going.

One of the most popular is the Eco-safe since it's accepted everywhere. http://www.nrs.com/product/73050.02/eco-safe-toilet-system
You can take multiple tanks for long trips or big groups but it takes two rocket boxes to pack it (tank plus one for the lid, etc.) plus another one for each extra tank. Bomp proof but bigger than other options. I've also used an unlined rocket box with a seat fit to it but that's a whole different cleaning experience ;) RV chemicals, powdered bleach, groover tamer, all work for odor control.

The eco-safe/rocket box setup is accepted by NPS/BLM/etc. etc. They are pretty picky about your toilet system. For other trips that don't go through national parks you can get away with buckets with gamma lids or wag bags/pett. Another option I've seen is taking the bags and stuffing them in a pvc pipe with a threaded end. No stink and durable for river use. A lot of it depends on the regulations for where you are floating, but since there are very few like the eco, partner, rocket box, that can get used anywhere, most groups just invest in that and use it instead of switching around.

Generally though, I wouldn't recommend a rafting type setup for what you guys are doing. Rafting is a communal sport, large groups for multiple days so the toilet setups are big and heavy. Pett or thetford type are better for this.
Yeah, that's what we've used on both private and some commercial trips. Not quite sure how that fancy aluminum would stow; the NRS stuff goes in easily rigged rocket boxes and they are indestructible and cheap. Eco safe is the outfit that made the smaller kayak version I have; https://shop.clavey.com/ecosafe-boom-box-sea-kayak-toilet-system-p306.aspx

Stryder106

Explorer
Perfect timing on this thread and great info - THANKS!!!! We are new to overlanding, but not camping. Our normal camping routine is to setup a base camp in a campground - with a toilet - and venture out for the day then return. However, I've been modding the rig and adding gear to allow us to do more mobile adventures without campgrounds and this has been a sticking point for my GF. She will camp and hike her butt off, but was not happy with my response when she asked how she was supposed to use the restroom if we were trail camping? (I showed her the shovel mounted on the roof rack). Oops............the Luggable Loo looks like the solution.

I'm thinking that the taller chlorine tab buckets (same top diameter as a standard 5gal bucket) might be a bit better suited to use for this (with the LL seat and bags) as it is taller. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Honu

lost on the mainland
with a family of 4 the bag systems got really expensive :(
they seemed to be way cheaper years ago

we have a thetford now

there is no perfect setup but keeping family happy IMHO is key
and use the portable when you have to or for the people that don't like bags or holes and everyone is happy :)

Kerensky97

Xterra101
My problem with the chem toilets is the noise. Bouncing down the trail hearing the *slosh* *slosh* and knowing what is in there... Every big bump you panic and wonder if it was enough to unseat the seal, or damage the holding tank.

Tell the wife there's always this option:
http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm
bdedned1.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
I've ordered a Trasharoo that will strap around the spare tire. My plan is: She can use the Luggable Loo, seal the bag(s), place in Trasharoo until we get to somewhere that has a trash can and dump it.

SursOverland

Observer
Bringing this back up form the dead, in one of Ronny's videos, he suggested getting compostable bags and TP and doing your business in a compostable bag then burying it deep enough to where animals cant smell and dig it up. Anyone else do this? Thoughts, opinions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne