School me on toilets

Another satisfied PETT and Wag Bag user. It's bad enough I have to dump our black/gray tanks in the RV. I want to handle the business but once and only once. :sombrero:

CSG

Explorer
Just because, I ordered a Cleanwaste bag toilet for $55 from Amazon. I'm thinking this would fit better in the LLC (no audible sloshing). I have about 24 wag bags that I bought some time back for emergencies when the getting was good on those things.

aaen

Adventurer
Anyone have any experience with https://rioverland.com toilets? Seems like a simple concept, I'm not a huge fan of wag bags. I feel like I'm carrying dog **** around with me, they work just not my thing I guess.

Honu

lost on the mainland
It's still made. Just got mine a few weeks ago. Had to order direct from black pine

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

YUP someone hit those a few posts back :)

Some commercial outfitters will use something like the Partner just due to the cost. Private trips do a variety of things depending on where they are going.

One of the most popular is the Eco-safe since it's accepted everywhere. http://www.nrs.com/product/73050.02/eco-safe-toilet-system
You can take multiple tanks for long trips or big groups but it takes two rocket boxes to pack it (tank plus one for the lid, etc.) plus another one for each extra tank. Bomp proof but bigger than other options. I've also used an unlined rocket box with a seat fit to it but that's a whole different cleaning experience ;) RV chemicals, powdered bleach, groover tamer, all work for odor control.

The eco-safe/rocket box setup is accepted by NPS/BLM/etc. etc. They are pretty picky about your toilet system. For other trips that don't go through national parks you can get away with buckets with gamma lids or wag bags/pett. Another option I've seen is taking the bags and stuffing them in a pvc pipe with a threaded end. No stink and durable for river use. A lot of it depends on the regulations for where you are floating, but since there are very few like the eco, partner, rocket box, that can get used anywhere, most groups just invest in that and use it instead of switching around.

Generally though, I wouldn't recommend a rafting type setup for what you guys are doing. Rafting is a communal sport, large groups for multiple days so the toilet setups are big and heavy. Pett or thetford type are better for this.

dstefan

So for those who use a bag system of some sort, what do you do when you're out in the back country for a week and there's no dumpster available? I've been thinking about ways to carry wag bags "safely". I have limited room which rules out using a sealed 5 gallon bucket. I've thought about collecting the wag bags in a trash compactor bag, but don't they swell up overtime and perhaps pop? I'm in Arizona and wandering around the desert, so it's always warmer even in the winter, which seems like it would affect the bags over a week period. Anybody come up with a really good carrying system?

outback97

Adventurer
So for those who use a bag system of some sort, what do you do when you're out in the back country for a week and there's no dumpster available? I've been thinking about ways to carry wag bags "safely". I have limited room which rules out using a sealed 5 gallon bucket. I've thought about collecting the wag bags in a trash compactor bag, but don't they swell up overtime and perhaps pop? I'm in Arizona and wandering around the desert, so it's always warmer even in the winter, which seems like it would affect the bags over a week period. Anybody come up with a really good carrying system?

We haven't needed to carry them around for a week's time, but no, they do not swell up overtime and pop. That would be pretty awful if that happened. Many places we camp don't require their use so they're more the exception than the rule, so I haven't had to transport more than a half dozen of them at a time.

What are you driving, and would you have to carry them in the vehicle or can you put them outside? You might consider something like an Opsak to transport them, should keep the smell down quite well. They're kind of expensive but in theory you could wash and reuse them... not sure how much fun that'd be after carrying a bunch of wag bags for a week in the Arizona sun though.
https://loksak.myshopify.com/collections/opsak

Honu

lost on the mainland
We haven't needed to carry them around for a week's time, but no, they do not swell up overtime and pop. That would be pretty awful if that happened. Many places we camp don't require their use so they're more the exception than the rule, so I haven't had to transport more than a half dozen of them at a time.

What are you driving, and would you have to carry them in the vehicle or can you put them outside? You might consider something like an Opsak to transport them, should keep the smell down quite well. They're kind of expensive but in theory you could wash and reuse them... not sure how much fun that'd be after carrying a bunch of wag bags for a week in the Arizona sun though.

not sure who started it but I know one leg lance used to have a ammo can on the back of his rig just for the bags this was years ago though :) always had the laugh if someone stole it or broke into it ;) hahahahaha

dstefan

DC short bed Tacoma with a hard shell tonneau cover. Wish I could fit a bucket, but too full when camping. I was thinking of a trash compactor bag tightly closed, but seems still too likely to snag. The other thought the Opsak suggestion raised is an old dry bag I'm no longer using. Seems like that would be more than tough enough yet fit in the bed better than a bucket. I have racks on the tonneau, but not sure about letting that stuff sit in the sun all day.

I'd rather be using cat holes, but knees and back don't allow it anymore. Will report back on dry bag idea after upcoming trip to Kofa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles