Rio Grande 2016

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Rio Grande Gorge

We continued down the road to Taos and the Rio Grande Gorge and RG Canyon, following the river...
Eagles nest.

Taos Canyon

The Gorge

Rio Grande Canyon

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The Border

Near Las Cruces, NM.

The river at El Paso, TX; near Santa Teresa, NM and the Mexican Border. The mountains on the background are in Mexico, the Juarez Sierra.

This is as far as we could go on this side of the border, that's the American dam which diverts the river water for irrigation down El Paso's lower valley. The border is just at the foot of the hill behind the dam.

The Mexican dam. It diverts the river water also for irrigation purposes to the Juarez Valley.

After that, this is what's left of the river, and only some sewer and rain water, when it rains; prevents it from going bone dry.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
This is how the river looks just after the dam has been closed.

We continued later on our way down the border

This is the border area of Presidio, TX and Ojinaga, Mexico. Here's where the Rio Conchos meets the Rio Grande and the river flows once again.

We camped by the river at BBSR
The river's view from camp.
Nice campground views.

Last edited:

userg3

After that, this is what's left of the river, and only some sewer and rain water, when it rains; prevents it from going bone dry.

holy crap, I had to look twice at this thinking "huh, I don't see any water". I had no idea it got that depleted on it's way to the gulf.

huachuca

Adventurer
Thanks for posting. I've enjoyed the entire thread but the latest on Big Bend brings it home - one of our favorite National Parks.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
BBNP-Pecos River

More of BBNP. The Chisos Mountains.

The Pecos River.

The Pecos River mouth, where it meets the Rio Grande.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles