Rio Grande 2016

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
The rest of the way down the Texas-Mexico Border did not offer any dirt/off-road trails and was made on pavement, but following the river as close as possible.
The Amistad Dam at Del Rio, Texas

Falcon Dam near Zapata, Texas

Brownsville, Texas.

On our way to Boca Chica Beach.

The site of the Battle of Palmito Ranch, the last land battle of the civil war.

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Boca Chica Beach-Mouth of the Rio Grande

We arrived to Boca Chica Beach with very high winds and high tide, the waves were coming all the way up to the road and my wife gave this funny look, as I started driving into the beach, but we had driven two thousand miles for this already and nothing was going to stop us from reaching our goal, the mouth of the Rio Grande.

Once we got on the beach, she sighed with relief, as it looked wider and not as narrow as the entrance.

It quickly got narrower, but by then, we had gained confidence and even drove into the waves a little.

And then, right after a bend on the beach; there it was, finally the mouth of the Rio Grande.

Mexico on the other side.
We then got the water we had brought all the way from Stony Pass, and dumped it in the river where it flows out to the Gulf of Mexico. Mission accomplished!

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
PINS

After savoring the moment for a while, we tracked back and headed to PINS.

Fortunately the skies cleared up and the winds slowed down a little.

THE END

Last edited:

Desert Rat 1

Adventurer
Looks like an awesome trip! Do you mind me asking how you even start planning?

Hi Clay,
I guess it starts with knowing exactly where you want to go, and how you want to go, with the vehicle you have; 4wd/dirt roads, pavement, mixed and how much of each, etc. Then create your itinerary/map, research for available roads, points of interests, camping places, etc. using all resources available like google maps, google earth, GPS, apps, paper maps, etc. Search and ask in places like this. I've found a lot more useful information here than in any other site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles