ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

RPhil

Adventurer
---

Second, I've decided to remove the spacers. They prevent rubbing and allow me to turn harder, but I really liked the look better beforehand. This was going to require me to replace all my wheel studs, but I think I'm going to simply replace the hubs instead and sell the hubs and spacers together. That way the new buyer won't have to cut their studs like I did.

Chris, if you are interested in getting rid of your spacer setup, shoot me a PM and we would probably be able to work something out. I am in the market and currently weighing options and would be very interested.

Also, great pictures as well.

Dalko43

Explorer
There are the few changes to my plan

First I have decided to keep the airbags because of how handy they were on a recent trip when I picked up some unexpected cargo. I really like the ability to balance the load, and they really dont decrease the performance much.

So what is the risk-reward analysis on using air bags on a overland-oriented truck or SUV? I get that they help deal with added payload situations, where an otherwise overly stiff suspension would be required. Do they limit articulation? Are there any reliability issues?

Great pictures by the way!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Chris, if you are interested in getting rid of your spacer setup, shoot me a PM and we would probably be able to work something out. I am in the market and currently weighing options and would be very interested.

Also, great pictures as well.
Thank you! And yes I could be interested. These spacers are from Bora, good product and basically brand new lol. Ill shoot you a message

So what is the risk-reward analysis on using air bags on a overland-oriented truck or SUV? I get that they help deal with added payload situations, where an otherwise overly stiff suspension would be required. Do they limit articulation? Are there any reliability issues?

Great pictures by the way!

So it depends how you use them. Let me try to break it down.

Risk: Some people use them instead of heavy springs or as a main form of suspension. In my opinion thats a bad idea because if you pop a bag then you're on the bump stops.
Reward: As you stated it allows you to run a softer suspension when unloaded.

What I'm doing: So Im running an HD spring kit, and under my normal operations (fully loaded for a trip) I don't need airbags. I use them only as auxiliary insurance in case say I need to tow a friends vehicle on a trailer, I have to haul large amounts of gear and people, or I decide to tow a camper. The main reason I love them at the moment is that loads are not always distributed correctly with say a water tank on board. Should I need to run an uneven load (which I try to never do) I can compensate by bring one airbag up. I hate vehicles with uneven suspension, so its really a sanity saver.

My Risk: None really... if they blew out of the back of the truck and caught fire I wouldn't care. I can drive on my normal suspension.

Do they limit articulation: Yes to an extent. The picture of my Excursion flexing was airbags on and sway bars engaged, so its not the end of the world, but they do limit up travel. I have daystar airbag cups so there is no droop limitation.

Chris, any plans to increase performance on the motor atr All? Typical 7.3 upgrades? Looks good!
I seriously thought about it, but it's just sort of low on the list at the moment. I don't drive fast, but if someone found a good tune for fuel economy Id be interested!

What a beauty!!! What company did you get the snorkel from?

Thanks! It's a TJM, and I believe the only folks stocking it are PSP Diesel / PSP Diesel Overland in Houston.

tremec

Love all the the info, the pics are freakin awesome, and the build and all your ideas are exciting to follow. Well, my question is, now that you have this incredible truck with all these awesome upgrades, with more to most likely come, and quite the investment of Blood sweat money time and memories; How do you keep it safely yours and in your possession? Theft prevention ect. I worry about it all the time. Any info here would be very much appreciated.

F350joe

I highly recomend the php hydra tuner, best $350 you can spend. (would be even cooler if you worked with them to create an over landing tune package). You can load it up with whatever tunes suit you and the tunes run cooler EGTs. There is a fuel sipping setting. The 80hp tow tune works great for altitude. The oil rail crossover is another great mod, really smoothes out the engine. Delete the air heater plug, unless you plan on being in -20 degree weather. remove the fuel filter plunger, you are smart enough not to run the engine without a filter. All that can be done in an afternoon and will cost less than 500 bucks, you will pick up a few mpg and run quieter/smoother. I have done all that and the ford tech recently asked if it was a new engine, at 200k everything tested great, he had only seen those numbers on a new engine.

Very important! I never got around to the 7.3 ".25 cent mod" and paid the price on the last trip. Four days lost fixing what i should have dealt with before in my driveway. The valve cover harness wiggles lose inside the valve cover. If you are lucky you just replace the gasket harness or plug it back in. If you are me it takes the injector controller with it, not fun nor cheap. Slipping a cut quarter into the gasket harness clip solves this.

http://www.ecddiesel.com/power-hungry-hydra-chip-for-ford.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fzvpcTVFI oil rail crossover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwd4UVPYruw Air heater plug delete

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TP1-OzIc3s Fuel bowl plunger delete

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tlGU213vnto .25 cent fix

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Love all the the info, the pics are freakin awesome, and the build and all your ideas are exciting to follow. Well, my question is, now that you have this incredible truck with all these awesome upgrades, with more to most likely come, and quite the investment of Blood sweat money time and memories; How do you keep it safely yours and in your possession? Theft prevention ect. I worry about it all the time. Any info here would be very much appreciated.

While there is still a lot of crime in Texas (we've had our car broken into in the driveway, but it was unlocked so more our fault) it's not like a lot of the country. For the most part when not in a true urban area there is little concern for being robbed due to... in part the way our laws are written. With over 2/3rds of the population legally armed it's not a good idea to steal if there is chance of being caught.

I could be totally wrong though, I'll let the OP speak for himself.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I worry about that a fair bit after a break in last January. First off I run rear door handles on the front and rear. These have no external lock mechanisms in them, so they can't be punched out like the original door locks. I've thought about getting a ravelco, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Im slightly worried about reliability out in the field. SHould it short circuit it would totally disable the vehicle. Im thinking ill do a specific combination of buttons that must be pressed to start the truck with kill switches. For example, one of my buddies who has driven around the world uses a kill switch to the batteries and a kill switch to the fuel pump. Once you turn it on you have to hit two of the buttons on his dash simultaneously and turn the key. (I won't tell you which ones)

I highly recomend the php hydra tuner, best $350 you can spend. (would be even cooler if you worked with them to create an over landing tune package). You can load it up with whatever tunes suit you and the tunes run cooler EGTs. There is a fuel sipping setting. The 80hp tow tune works great for altitude. The oil rail crossover is another great mod, really smoothes out the engine. Delete the air heater plug, unless you plan on being in -20 degree weather. remove the fuel filter plunger, you are smart enough not to run the engine without a filter. All that can be done in an afternoon and will cost less than 500 bucks, you will pick up a few mpg and run quieter/smoother. I have done all that and the ford tech recently asked if it was a new engine, at 200k everything tested great, he had only seen those numbers on a new engine.

Very important! I never got around to the 7.3 ".25 cent mod" and paid the price on the last trip. Four days lost fixing what i should have dealt with before in my driveway. The valve cover harness wiggles lose inside the valve cover. If you are lucky you just replace the gasket harness or plug it back in. If you are me it takes the injector controller with it, not fun nor cheap. Slipping a cut quarter into the gasket harness clip solves this.

http://www.ecddiesel.com/power-hungry-hydra-chip-for-ford.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fzvpcTVFI oil rail crossover

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwd4UVPYruw Air heater plug delete

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2TP1-OzIc3s Fuel bowl plunger delete

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tlGU213vnto .25 cent fix

Very interesting! Ill have to check that out.

While there is still a lot of crime in Texas (we've had our car broken into in the driveway, but it was unlocked so more our fault) it's not like a lot of the country. For the most part when not in a true urban area there is little concern for being robbed due to... in part the way our laws are written. With over 2/3rds of the population legally armed it's not a good idea to steal if there is chance of being caught.

I could be totally wrong though, I'll let the OP speak for himself.
In our area it's not bad, but other places, Houston for example, these trucks are stolen all the time. I work with a shop down there called PSP diesel, and most of them have had people try to steal their trucks, and several customers trucks have been stolen.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
If your battery dies, how do you get into your rig without keyed locks? Do you have external jumpstart lugs?

BTW, most Ford Super Duties that I have seen stolen have been entered by prying past the door handle and sheet metal to access the rod behind it. There are plates you can install to prevent this.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
If your battery dies, how do you get into your rig without keyed locks? Do you have external jumpstart lugs?

BTW, most Ford Super Duties that I have seen stolen have been entered by prying past the door handle and sheet metal to access the rod behind it. There are plates you can install to prevent this.

The rear cargo door has a key and it doesnt punch out like the side doors. I can go in that way if all power is lost.

mccustomize

Explorer
I also run rear door handles on my truck, with my custom built bumper I can access the hood latch by going under the grill to jump the battery if it dies.

F350joe

I also run rear door handles on my truck, with my custom built bumper I can access the hood latch by going under the grill to jump the battery if it dies.

I have been thinking of doing something with one of these for easier access. .....https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500931/overview/.

Like the idea of removing keyed access. I have not actually put a key into a car door for many years. You can stick these anywhere as well, just need power to the locks. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-7L2Z-14A626-BA-Keyless-Keypad/dp/B00HB9K55S

Also,on the php hydra tuner, one of the settings is "no start." The controller pops off easily, can be hidden or locked in a car safe even. Just don't lose the controller! Don't think it can even be hotwired. _

darkjedi351

Observer
Okay so if I can recall where I left off, not much has changed lol. I've done a few more trips, but the truck remains mostly the same. I think the last images I posted were around the time I had installed the bumper?? If so here are a few shots from recent outings.
9fmTnVN.jpg

Ybc5Nbq.jpg

AO4vkJL.jpg

MYgx43J.jpg

N6m8Bdw.jpg

KkO8E4h.jpg

9KkquIr.jpg

M3c5onL.jpg

There are the few changes to my plan

First I have decided to keep the airbags because of how handy they were on a recent trip when I picked up some unexpected cargo. I really like the ability to balance the load, and they really dont decrease the performance much.

Second, I've decided to remove the spacers. They prevent rubbing and allow me to turn harder, but I really liked the look better beforehand. This was going to require me to replace all my wheel studs, but I think I'm going to simply replace the hubs instead and sell the hubs and spacers together. That way the new buyer won't have to cut their studs like I did.

Third is the cargo system.. again.
I'm finally honing in the design, but ill wait to post it until I spend some time with a world traveler next week. Once I hang out in his truck I will make the final adjustments on mine :)

Wow, I've been away for too long. I'm digging that rear bumper. I've was going to get a aluminess but I like the buckstop a lot more. your truck looks great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier