ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

F350joe

Teh-Viking - I use the fuel sipping setting when up to speed and on the flats otherwise I am usually in the same setting as you. Without the the gear-vendor engaged, 315 BFGs KOs on wide rims, 3.73 limited slip, I am at about 70 as well. I don't have any clean numbers for mpg with this current configuration but freeway tanks were getting me 17mpg. That was with an old bullydog tuner, and no gearvendor engaged(I didn't know how it worked) loaded up to about 9500lbs and hauling ***. I have a road trip planned this month and can report back, hope to be closer to 19mpg now.

If you have not adjusted your speedo your numbers maybe better than you think.

Also, clean the filters in the fuel tank, seems to be a common reason for loss of mpg. There are a few YouTube videos on how to do it. You can also trim the vent tube back in the tank to gain a few extra gallons of capacity while in there.

I also did the air heater delete, fuel bowl plunger delete, went to a Napa air filter, cleaned the back pressure sensor and tube, and gained maybe 1 mpg. I had a 5.9 Cummins in my boat and was shocked at how many electronics are bolted to the 7.3 and spent a day undoing all I could. In retrospect it's probably a wash at best it actual gains.

Sorry, totally hijacked this thread with my 7.3 obsession.

Teh_VIking

Ive never seen a setting on the list called fuel sipping.. But yes I have an old programmer and its only goes up to 35" tires and i Figured out that i was 7% off according to mile markers or something close to that. I dropped the fuel tank and cut the line to get more fuel into the tank. I think i can fit around 33 gallons now. I also got rid of the filters in the tank and use a external baldwin pre-pump filter. Cleaning the back pressure tube is a pain the *** when you have dual alternators, I couldn't pull it out so I made the best of it. I run an open air amsoil filter with a pre filter. Im always trying to get the best mpgs that I can. But I also like lots of rubber so......

Yeah we hi-jacked the thread a little but we are talking about a 7.3 and mines a 2000 as well so I think we are on track.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Ive never seen a setting on the list called fuel sipping.. But yes I have an old programmer and its only goes up to 35" tires and i Figured out that i was 7% off according to mile markers or something close to that. I dropped the fuel tank and cut the line to get more fuel into the tank. I think i can fit around 33 gallons now. I also got rid of the filters in the tank and use a external baldwin pre-pump filter. Cleaning the back pressure tube is a pain the *** when you have dual alternators, I couldn't pull it out so I made the best of it. I run an open air amsoil filter with a pre filter. Im always trying to get the best mpgs that I can. But I also like lots of rubber so......

Yeah we hi-jacked the thread a little but we are talking about a 7.3 and mines a 2000 as well so I think we are on track.

Seven degrees of separation lol

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Also for the person asking its TJM. Id assume theyd only make them for the one side since that is where the airbox is :)

Teh_VIking

Wait how big are yalls tanks? I have a 44 gallon stock... You can only fit 33?

The shortbed trucks only have a 30 and but you can only put in 25 Gallons, but if you cut down the filler tube (Part of the hutch and harpoon mod)on the inside you can fit over 30. Yeah the EX's have a nice big tank. long beds have 40 as well.

F350joe

Teh-Viking. I have dual alts as well and cleaned the tube in place, I think, total pain. I have always wondered if 2 alts would affect mpg.

This is my tuner... http://www.ecddiesel.com/power-hungry-hydra-chip-for-ford.html. Fuel sipping was not listed on there but it was in the software.

Being in So Cal we have to drive, and cross some mountains, to get away so every mpg counts as far as I am concerned.

Do you run any additives? Them seem to help a little. What oil? I just switched to rotella 5w and it seems quieter. I also switched to a 203 degree thermostat, the ebpv valve was closing while driving on the freeway cause the truck was running so cool.

Teh_VIking

Teh-Viking. I have dual alts as well and cleaned the tube in place, I think, total pain. I have always wondered if 2 alts would affect mpg.

This is my tuner... http://www.ecddiesel.com/power-hungry-hydra-chip-for-ford.html. Fuel sipping was not listed on there but it was in the software.

Being in So Cal we have to drive, and cross some mountains, to get away so every mpg counts as far as I am concerned.

Do you run any additives? Them seem to help a little. What oil? I just switched to rotella 5w and it seems quieter. I also switched to a 203 degree thermostat, the ebpv valve was closing while driving on the freeway cause the truck was running so cool.

I have always ran Amsoil 15-40, Ive read about people having leaks with the 5w and other people who love it so I just stuck with the 15w. I dont run any Fuel additives but do put in some Injector stuff from Amsoil every know and then.

Thats crazy that you have your ebpv kicking on, first time that happened for was when I was living in Michigan and man I disconnected the sensor right away, sounds like a 747 and the neighbors probably hated me. I run the PHP chip as well and a BTS valve body.

Marine

Adventurer
Anymore updates? Your build got my bell rung tonite. At boxing gym and was thinking bout the lift and tire combo. One right cross later and a fall on the ropes brought me back to reality. :smilies27

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well its not an update per say but I took it out to the beach this past week. Ill have plenty of photos going up in an article soon but here's a teaser

weberjeff

Looks really good Chris. I just need to get moving out I mine. Can't wait for the article. Are you still carrying the spare inside? I'm still wondering what you plan to do with the space once you get the tire outside. This past weekend I started sizing up the center console to see how much space I have if I want to swap it out for a fridge.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Looks really good Chris. I just need to get moving out I mine. Can't wait for the article. Are you still carrying the spare inside? I'm still wondering what you plan to do with the space once you get the tire outside. This past weekend I started sizing up the center console to see how much space I have if I want to swap it out for a fridge.

Well... there's a custom water tank in the works :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior