ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

Hawk136439

I'm curious what you use the box on the back bumper for? I like the idea and placement for a box but am unsure what to keep in there and thought I'd ask what you have found it most useful for carrying?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Excellent writeup on the Falken's Chris. I have long been interested in how they performed, but I was a bit leary due to the lower price and the fact that they aren't really known to be a big player in the off-road tire division like some of the other big names out there. I think they look like a cross between the first Gen BFG KM's with the side lugs and the first Gen Goodyear MTR's. Those were both very good looking tires, but it sounds like the Falken M/T's are more than just looks and budget friendly. My bias's aside, I purchased Cooper STT Pro's for my previous F250 and after 29,00 miles they were still at 15/32, so it appears that these newer tech tires are surely improving in the lifespan department. Considering how much cheaper the Coopers are than Toyo and Goodyear, it was surprising to see how much cheaper the Falken is when compared to the Cooper.
I was surprised by their performance, as was my friend who ran them on his Cherokee. They're a great deal, and will likely be my next set of tires unless I go to all terrains.

I'm curious what you use the box on the back bumper for? I like the idea and placement for a box but am unsure what to keep in there and thought I'd ask what you have found it most useful for carrying?

I carry all of my food, cooking supplies, and campfire stuff in there along with my hammock, shower, and a few other odds and ends. Basically its a sealed box that keeps food outside of the truck... which I sleep in :)

Rally

Guys need to buy Excursions out by me. Paid $13,500 for mine. 175k miles, headstuds done already fuel pressure regulator done, and extremely clean. Had to replace back carpet as it was destroyed, but $25 at the local salvage yard and now is immaculate.

BTW yes, it's a 6.0L powerstroke, and I love it!

Skyjeep

Observer
Just read all 40 pages. Man I love it.
I just acquired an 05 v10 from a friend of mine. It's got about 150k on it and is about as new looking as you can get.
He's done a few things to it but I'll probably undo most of it to do it like I like. Sooooo much to know. Hardest part for me is actually making decisions. I have "fobo" bad! Fear of better options. All I do know is I want your bumpers for sure! Haha.
Gonna do a 4" with 35's and a locker for sure as well. He also just put a brand spanking new 12k warn on it. Literally couple months ago. Probably sell that for the big one. I might need some help and suggestions along the way. Thanks for all the info and pics!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 75

Skyjeep

Observer
Just to add a few of my thoughts on diesel vs gas.
$$ biggest factor. Not just purchase cost but repairs. Yes the 7.3 is reliable. But. I've had one throw a rod for no reason at 150k. Have had others w 350k with no issues. You never know. The problem for me is if it does take a crap I can buy a complete other vehicle for the cost of repairs. I don't wanna have $20-30k in a truck to turn around and have to dump $5-10 in the motor for a hiccup. Besides diesel costs more, I'm getting to where I like quiet. I don't like Gettin diesel on me when I touch the pump (haha. I know, and no it doesn't bother me when I'm Working), it's heavier. There's multiple reasons for me. I've had tons of trucks and have spent wayyy to much $ on bs diesel issues.
Still love em when they work. Just doesn't make sense for me. Even if same price to purchase, for me id choose the gas.
It's definetly a personal choice and don't have care one way or other which way one should go.
Love em all.

displacedtexan

I wouldnt swap the 6bt in. Ive seen those trucks done before and theyre never the same. Just rebuild and keep driving. :)

It can be done to look and function factory with an ISB. Even OBDII and pulling codes can work.

You can even put the stupid old 6bt in place of a 6.4 with no cluster lights.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Just read all 40 pages. Man I love it.
I just acquired an 05 v10 from a friend of mine. It's got about 150k on it and is about as new looking as you can get.
He's done a few things to it but I'll probably undo most of it to do it like I like. Sooooo much to know. Hardest part for me is actually making decisions. I have "fobo" bad! Fear of better options. All I do know is I want your bumpers for sure! Haha.
Gonna do a 4" with 35's and a locker for sure as well. He also just put a brand spanking new 12k warn on it. Literally couple months ago. Probably sell that for the big one. I might need some help and suggestions along the way. Thanks for all the info and pics!!
Way cool! I love these trucks and im sure you will as well. Solid build plan! Youll definitely want the bigger winch, these things are pigs. what does the v-10 weigh?

Just to add a few of my thoughts on diesel vs gas.
$$ biggest factor. Not just purchase cost but repairs. Yes the 7.3 is reliable. But. I've had one throw a rod for no reason at 150k. Have had others w 350k with no issues. You never know. The problem for me is if it does take a crap I can buy a complete other vehicle for the cost of repairs. I don't wanna have $20-30k in a truck to turn around and have to dump $5-10 in the motor for a hiccup. Besides diesel costs more, I'm getting to where I like quiet. I don't like Gettin diesel on me when I touch the pump (haha. I know, and no it doesn't bother me when I'm Working), it's heavier. There's multiple reasons for me. I've had tons of trucks and have spent wayyy to much $ on bs diesel issues.
Still love em when they work. Just doesn't make sense for me. Even if same price to purchase, for me id choose the gas.
It's definetly a personal choice and don't have care one way or other which way one should go.
Love em all.
The gas totally makes more sense in most situations, and the diesels are a FORTUNE to work on. Ive seen v-10 excursions at 400,000 miles so criticism here. For me its just fuel economy, mileage, and chances of reliability. The 7.3 is known to be the most reliable of excursion motors (generally). If i wasnt relying on it so much in the back country, or I didnt plan to take it out of North America I would probably have just gone gas.

It can be done to look and function factory with an ISB. Even OBDII and pulling codes can work.

You can even put the stupid old 6bt in place of a 6.4 with no cluster lights.

You're definitely not wrong, Ive just been scared off any engine swap by some hack jobs ive seen. It can make things complicated if done improperly.

Skyjeep

Observer
Not actually weighing them it's around 500lbs difference in weight according to what I've found.

What's your thoughts on the lift you did vs these coil spring total front end swaps? I'm really curious what that would actually cost.
Sure seems like it'd be nice.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Not actually weighing them it's around 500lbs difference in weight according to what I've found.

What's your thoughts on the lift you did vs these coil spring total front end swaps? I'm really curious what that would actually cost.
Sure seems like it'd be nice.

Im not sure what those coil swaps actually cost. Its so hard to tell because it varies with the parts you buy, the shop who does it, how well it is done etc. If you can do it all yourself and find good but cheap parts it might be a good deal.

My personal thought with any vehicle is to leave the motor and driveline as stock as possible. The engineers designed all of the components to work together, and generally when you start swapping bits and bobs the total service life and reliability goes down. This applies for the lift I installed too, but I tend to worry a little less since it leaves most of the components besides springs and shocks.

Basically, I find that vehicles end up being more reliable and costing less if you keep the stock driveline. If I had a ZR2 or something more capable out of the box, I wouldn't even modify it at all. Just add an AT habitat and go.

Skyjeep

Observer
Hey thanks Chris.
Couple questions.
What made you decide to go with the ome lift over the others?
Also curious what you mean in regards to the spacers? You like the look of the wheels tucked in more? Your saying changing the hubs will remedy the rubbing without the spacers? Sorry for the ignorant question.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey thanks Chris.
Couple questions.
What made you decide to go with the ome lift over the others?
Also curious what you mean in regards to the spacers? You like the look of the wheels tucked in more? Your saying changing the hubs will remedy the rubbing without the spacers? Sorry for the ignorant question.

I chose OME for a few reasons. First, they're very reliable and Ive used them on almost all of my vehicles, so I trust them.

Second, they're quite a bit cheaper than many of the alternatives like ICON or Carli. While they dont offer the same performance, I tend to be a slow driver so i dont mind.

Third, they're more easily replaceable and repairable than a higher end system. If something should happen, sourcing a generic shock or OME leaf will be much easier than locating a pricier setup, especially outside North America.

In regards to the spacers yes, I simply didnt like the look of the wheels further out. The vehicle turns much better with them and doesnt rub, but ive decided to put up with the rubbing and just run without the spacers. I replaced the hubs because I didnt want to replace 32 wheel studs :)

displacedtexan

You're definitely not wrong, Ive just been scared off any engine swap by some hack jobs ive seen. It can make things complicated if done improperly.
Oh yeah. I've seen some insanely hacked up swaps... I've also seen some that were incredibly well done. The well done ones are a minority for sure.

tkrrox

stay away from the 5.4. it's just too underpowered for the excursion and even the f250.
I have a 00 v10 f250 with a 4.5" lift, stock 4.30 gears and 315/70/18 (36's) toyo mt's (heavy *** tires but stout). the v10 tows just as well as the 7.3 with a reduction in mpg but it's also cheaper to maintain.

the wife had a 02 7.3 excursion with 3.73's, 33's and it was great, stinky and dirty to work on but it was a good solid rig. we would tow a 31ft toy hauler filled with dirtbikes, quads and a ton of fuel all over SoCal. the thing I miss the most is the 40 gallon excursion fuel tank. I wish I had one for my sbcc gasser

Get a titan tank. Best purchase I made for my f250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94