ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've got some insight here.

-Russell

Agreed, not wanting to hijack the thread, but certainly appreciate your comments and insights. I'll take some measurements of my current setup and PM you or anyone who asks for details.

Thanks Russell!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thats a really helpful insight! So Im running stock wheels on the 315/75/16s and they rubbed in the rear on the leaf spring at full lock as yall stated. I ended up running a 1.25" spacer on my stock wheels which eliminated the rubbing.

Scott39

Adventurer
I run 37" tires with a 4 inch lift on my Excursion. Wheels are 17x9-4.5" backspacing.
I rub my inner back plastic fenders and those will be cut out, and I cut the front bumper to clear the tire.
Trying not to hijack, ust giving more info on this setup.:sombrero:

back woods

Observer
Running a similar setup on an F350, 315/75r16 Duratrac on 10" wheels. Running no lift and moved the front axle forward 1" with offset zero rate springs, works great.

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Thanks all for the lift/wheel/tire info.

I've started a shared spreadsheet linked here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wF-U5eFv5FbgqeAc7LOBkd_k86RaLs-TRKGzl9g7vI4

I'm planning to share elsewhere but hoping this will become a useful resource for folks. Some recent posts still lack specifics, including my own.

I think I've covered the majority of key variables but I'm welcome to get thoughts and suggestions or edits directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAMILY_OF_SIX

Explorers
Chris, wonderful job on this thread. Thanks to everyone else that is also sharing such helpful information. We have owned our Excursion over nine years and currently have two for the last three years. There are so useful for comfortably carrying the family. All are the 7.3 and we found this engine to be reliable and strong.

We have been steadily outfitting one of ours practically identical to yours and we were wondering if you added the OME part "FK31" or "FK35" help with the reduction of driveline vibrations from the OME 2.5" F250 lift you installed.
Also did you stick with just the rear springs provided or did you add the additional XL leaf springs for weight above 1200+ lbs?

Also, now that it has been a few days. How's the ride quality in town and out at highway speeds? We know it will do well off road because it's OME; but how's the daily driving quality?

Eager for some news and some sporty photos on tire set up and clearance.

Thanks for your time on this and keep up the good work.

A&P

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Great thread bro. I'm digging that huge ride.

17 Lariat 3.5 Screw

Thanks! They're great trucks

Chris, wonderful job on this thread. Thanks to everyone else that is also sharing such helpful information. We have owned our Excursion over nine years and currently have two for the last three years. There are so useful for comfortably carrying the family. All are the 7.3 and we found this engine to be reliable and strong.

We have been steadily outfitting one of ours practically identical to yours and we were wondering if you added the OME part "FK31" or "FK35" help with the reduction of driveline vibrations from the OME 2.5" F250 lift you installed.
Also did you stick with just the rear springs provided or did you add the additional XL leaf springs for weight above 1200+ lbs?

Also, now that it has been a few days. How's the ride quality in town and out at highway speeds? We know it will do well off road because it's OME; but how's the daily driving quality?

Eager for some news and some sporty photos on tire set up and clearance.

Thanks for your time on this and keep up the good work.

A&P

Appreciate that! So of course it's not showing me the actual part for the fit kit. Is that the hanger spacer? If so the X does not have that same hanger like the f250. I think I ended up with one but had nowhere to put it. I did install the add a leafs from them and Id recommend anyone buying the excursion to do so. Our trucks have more body weight and a larger fuel tank further aft. The normal OME spring package is pretty much tapped out when the excursion is empty, so you'll want the additional load cap.

Ride quality is fantastic, especially compared to my ancient springs from before. The truck does lean more than before, but it's no more than you would expect. It's worth noting that you'll need new sway bar end links when you install this lift, as it brings the excursion up 4.5" instead of 2.5.

Love this thing... I've seen you on 1709 a few times.
That's awesome! Im in Las Colinas now, but still head over there fairly often. We need to get together to talk trucks and trips.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well, since you asked and photo bucket has so kindly removed all my images from view, ill have to post an update tomorrow. First I have to find an alternate hosting site lol

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Okay so if I can recall where I left off, not much has changed lol. I've done a few more trips, but the truck remains mostly the same. I think the last images I posted were around the time I had installed the bumper?? If so here are a few shots from recent outings.
9fmTnVN.jpg

Ybc5Nbq.jpg

AO4vkJL.jpg

MYgx43J.jpg

N6m8Bdw.jpg

KkO8E4h.jpg

9KkquIr.jpg

M3c5onL.jpg

There are the few changes to my plan

First I have decided to keep the airbags because of how handy they were on a recent trip when I picked up some unexpected cargo. I really like the ability to balance the load, and they really dont decrease the performance much.

Second, I've decided to remove the spacers. They prevent rubbing and allow me to turn harder, but I really liked the look better beforehand. This was going to require me to replace all my wheel studs, but I think I'm going to simply replace the hubs instead and sell the hubs and spacers together. That way the new buyer won't have to cut their studs like I did.

Third is the cargo system.. again.
I'm finally honing in the design, but ill wait to post it until I spend some time with a world traveler next week. Once I hang out in his truck I will make the final adjustments on mine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier