This is my very favorite rig... I call it "Vera"

MightyP

Observer
Been a while since I've updated this thread, but at least it's for a good reason. I've been doing stuff! :D Guess I'll start with my trip last October to PINS (Padre Island National Seashore) WITH the family. If we're honest, it was a rough trip. Had lots of lessons learned, but I can't complain too much, both kids still ask to go camping!

Here, I'm loaded up and ready to go. Actually had to buy a hitch basket because we didn't have enough room for everything otherwise. This is just one of the reasons a real roof rack is on my short list.

Went out with a group from Texas Overland. Great group of people.

The rest...

The absolute best part of PINS is being able to be on the beach and not see anyone outside your group in either direction. Amazing...

MightyP

Observer
Holidays came and then I got a job, so I didn't take much time off again until April of this year. Went to the Texas Overland Spring Roundup. Chance to meet other members and get some classes on Tread Lightly and wilderness safety. My wife and daughter had a 5K that weekend, so it ended up being a father/son weekend. Worked out great as a couple other dads did the same thing!

Full disclosure... If the picture is really great, it was probably taken by a friend. I'm happy to give credit if you're on here.

On the way home we stopped at a cafe that is supposed to have the best pie in Texas. It was pretty amazing, but my grandmother probably still has them beat. :)

MightyP

Observer
Most recently (Memorial Day Weekend), I took a "me" trip. Went to NM by myself to just get away, recharge, read, and spend time alone with God. Absolutely wonderful trip. If I can figure out how to get my kids through the drive across west Texas, we'll be going as a family...

Scenery was what you'd expect... amazing.

Trails were also great.

If you ever get the chance, definitely worth a drive to Carson National Forest.

MightyP

Observer
And because I'm sure you're sick of seeing all the outdoor stuff (yeah right...), here's a quick plug for [MENTION=139789]RagoFabrication[/MENTION]. Been working with them for a couple months getting parts developed for the 4th Gen 4runner. They are absolutely great people who have a passion for what they do. It's rare to see a company excited to make parts for a vehicle that hasn't been produced for 8 years, so if there's something you're looking for, let them (or me) know.

I have their hidden lightbar mounts and light bar. While I have the lower grille insert removed to get the most out of the 30" light bar, it's definitely not required.

I also have their Modular Storage Panel (MSP), which is AWESOME. This is the prototype, so the final version will be powder coated, but you can see it in action here.

There are more items on deck for development, but, well, I can't just leave my 4runner up there, so it takes time. :p

How the Manly Minivan (Vera) sits today. Stay safe, y'all.

MightyP

Observer
Curious - what use have you found for bolt cutters? Not something I usually see in people's gear.

Bottom line: Totally legitimate question I don't have a good answer for. :p Really, I don't have a specific purpose for them and probably won't carry them long-term. (They've been on the rack less than a week) I wanted to test how practical it would be to mount something relatively bulky and heavy that doesn't have clear mounting points (unlike my fire extinguisher that is designed to be mounted). I justify having the bolt cutters to myself because I'm the facility manager at my church and we occasionally have a padlock where we have either lost the key or can't remember the combo. Once I get a video of the cargo area while I drive down a bumpy road, I'll probably take the bolt cutters back off unless I think of a better reason to carry them.

MightyP

Observer
Fair enough. :)

I've got an array of Milwaukee tools/batteries, and the idea of buying & carrying a battery-powered angle grinder has crossed my mind. Could still be used to cut off a padlock, but also more useful on the trail/vehicle maintenance.

That's a good idea. I already bring batteries and an impact driver on the trail. An angle grinder could be useful and wouldn't take up any more space than the bolt cutters. I might just go with that... Thanks for bringing that up. I like it. ☺️

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MightyP

Observer
Not sure why the one on Photobucket isn't working. :(

Attachments

• 20171028_184627~2.jpg
    20171028_184627~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

MightyP

Observer
Thanks @Watt maker ! Flickr seems to be working great. Still figuring out an efficient way to link multiple pictures.

A few from a couple day trips.

42135207031_8421d95b38_k.jpg

42135207151_f186cb2553_k.jpg

42135208181_92c51acb61_k.jpg

41415120124_0867aca39a_k.jpg

27264569887_420d938c97_k.jpg

41415120994_128d9f93f6_z.jpg

42135054971_c48696335b_k.jpg

28262651988_e37567103c_k.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members