Hiker / Lead Dog Trailer Owners Post Up

RokStacker

I'm VERY interested in one of these. We've been camping with my 2WD Ram 1500, but recently got an '07 Subaru Forester (2400lbs towing capacity)... I'm looking at the base model with maybe a couple add-on's and a few of my own personal upgrades. I should be able to tow one of these with my Forester down dirt forest roads in Arizona, even with my gear loaded inside right? We don't go anywhere the Ram can't get to. Me and the wife will probably still use our canvas tent and the kids or guest(s) will use the trailer to sleep.

I have a 10x14 Kodiak tent, 2-burner camp chef stove, 4-6 sleeping bags, queen cot, and a couple of totes (~#80/lbs), 15gal water, 5gal propane take and misc other little things(chairs, luggage, lamps, flashlights)... I should still be well under 2400lbs for the Forester. The Ram will pull it when we are taking the whole family (wife, me, 2 kids, 2 dogs). But if it was just my wife, dogs and I, we'd probably take the Forester.

Even if the Subaru would be pushed to the limits, I'd still use the Dodge because the shortbed has been getting smaller and smaller with out gear upgrades over the past few years.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
What's the difference between the medium and extreme off-road models?

I asked them the same question, got this reply from Robert Reeve in an email...

"Our Offroad models comes standard with a 3,500 lb. axle, rear stabilizer jacks, medium tool box, large rear door - side opening, front rack, 33" tires, 17" wheels, LED trailer frame lights, 7 pin harness and rear receiver hitch.

And the Mid-Range model is standard with 235 tire w/ 15" alum wheels, LED trailer frame lights, rear jacks, a-frame tongue, 2" coupler, large rear side opening door, 3,500 lb. torsion axle, and a 7 pin harness. This one is more like a "package" and can be added to our 5x8, 5x9 and 5x10 trailers.

The mid-range model is a step down from the off-road, but a step up from our standard!

I have attached a few pictures of our mid-range trailer. We have only built one so far, but have a few in the upcoming builds!"

That one part above really explains it. The Mid-Range is an option package while the Extreme Offroad is purpose-built from the ground up.

See the noticeable difference in the frame (visible at the bottom of the trailer body) and the leveling jacks between the Mid-Range...

...and the Extreme Offroad model.

RJOhto6Kt9tuGhkp8OUJpjcSrf1LMvClcBdOCPqCoVdJn43NgYB8yJIZKZS-xe3RddBl2VKBTm1QvGVZ0uVkcBPi307NcoU25QwdefbGufJueRPL1iM2C6ZbZSfAotMm_dNTxwb9BKqFUA=s0-d-e1-ft

_snm_x-Plhe1PsWyT5zLmjOOqeSTDJKT2pgJjORuuWn0S5GEx4PQXKZ1qBcP-a7Js_LkVMsDXg8y_kZWAEixdheFyLOVV0oT9MvdIpxoYCzukvxFO4QC0ysXXPNKmb3k9_o13ciUTvoU5w=s0-d-e1-ft

F5en0drJomkqz-anZCKv8ow44Jhx260NmdkcCGetXqe_FbKdztD6ODqZ4P7uvMqWG8IbVRE-L4GdECGPl3wQzTw1lXoF1VerJuBTeQCfMUks-mJIEvB5pU-D4GFCGrDLqnOikKaMJatXuQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Capercrew02

Observer
The off-road truly is an extreme trailer designed to go on the rugged off-road path. The medium duty is designed for light off-roading and forest service type roads. The medium duty is A perfect match to a Subaru in size, lift, and off-road capability. The extreme is designed for modified jeeps, and trucks that are doing significant off-road trips.

RokStacker

The off-road truly is an extreme trailer designed to go on the rugged off-road path. The medium duty is designed for light off-roading and forest service type roads. The medium duty is A perfect match to a Subaru in size, lift, and off-road capability. The extreme is designed for modified jeeps, and trucks that are doing significant off-road trips.

Good to know, thank you!
Is the galley door open vertical standard or the side swing?

Capercrew02

Observer
They have both options. For the style door, side, and style of trailer though, most customers find the side swing far more usable and convenient. ESPECIALLY if you Ever plan on using a foxwing awning.

ratled

Adventurer
Just saw this one. I know they are basically the same but I wish some of the Lead Dog owners would put more out

ratled

paddlequest

Adventurer
Ratled: You and me both! I have a Lead Dog Extreme Off Road build date for November reserved and I wish there was more material to satisfy my almost diagnosable desire to find more photos and videos on these trailers! I will try to do my civic duty when I have mine!!

We've been using our trailer almost every weekend since March, plus a two week trip around southern Utah that we just got back from, and have been taking tons of photos and video of it. But, between camping and work this hasn't left us any time to edit/upload. Needless to say, we're really enjoying the Hiker. I'm almost willing to bet you'll be in a similar position once you have yours.

Here's a shot from a weekend trip earlier this spring:

P5064544-2.jpg

paddlequest

Adventurer
Nice spot! Super excited to get mine. I am thinking a pick up in late November, fast trip back into BC to register it and then down into Baja for the month of December and a Christmas of surf, beaches and fish tacos!!

Nice spot! Super excited to get mine. I am thinking a pick up in late November, fast trip back into BC to register it and then down into Baja for the month of December and a Christmas of surf, beaches and fish tacos!!

That sounds like a great trip. Baja and shrimp tacos are high on my list!

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Here you go. An extreme getting put to work. It may not look like much, but there are 20-25 degree camber twisties in this video. I have taken my extreme on some of the most rocky and rough roads through AZ,NM, CO, UT and Texas and it has NEVER given me any issues or have I ever had anything come loose. Just make sure everything inside is secure.

https://youtu.be/7OYgl1Xn8H4

Here you go. An extreme getting put to work. It may not look like much, but there are 20-25 degree camber twisties in this video. I have taken my extreme on some of the most rocky and rough roads through AZ,NM, CO, UT and Texas and it has NEVER given me any issues or have I ever had anything come loose. Just make sure everything inside is secure.

https://youtu.be/7OYgl1Xn8H4

Nice!

We recently drug ours all over southern Utah including several trails where we were the only users in a full size vehicle (everyone else on motos and ATVs), much less pulling a trailer, and zero issues!

ratled

Adventurer
Saw a new video of Hiker at Expo East and thought I would post it. Also, managed to get the family to stop in at Lead Dog the 1st week of October. Got some really great info and a bunch of questions answered.... and came up with more.

ratled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles