LR3 Fuel Gauge issue

GORM

Adventurer
Been reading a lot about this issue. Here's mine before I start taking things apart. Here's what I know:
- I ran the vehicle out of fuel (this was about the time I realized I had a gauge problem)
- at the time, the tank said 100% full (very hard to do on a rover)
- after refilling, the gauge does drop (see below)
- my LR3 fuel gauge sits at zero when the ignition is off.
- when ignition on and running the fuel gauge goes up form half to full depending on actual level
- the gauge does drop as fuel is used, approximately from full to half full, but never goes below 1/2
- my fuel tank took a shot while off-roading, but the problem was not immediate
- small dent on the front of the tank, drivers side of the tank
- I believe the gauge was working at least a few days, until the run out issue
- it does seem that the level stays consistent with fuel usage, albeit only from full to half

So any thoughts given the facts above? I know there are 2 sensors and a sending unit and hoping the details above help diagnose the issue. Appears to me one of the sensors is damaged or the entire thing would be off. I could get lucky and find a bad connection or jarred loose wire but I am not that hopeful.

I have to remove the built in cargo boxes so I can open 3rd row seats and send under carpet (I thin that is where that is).

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Kent

ColoDisco

Explorer
Have to drop the tank to access the pump and senders. Good news is it's not that hard. Bad news is the senders are known to fail (have replaced several myself). The second sender at the front of the tank is a pain to reach unless you have skinny arms. You will want to drain the tank to make it easier. Or drive it until it is close based on miles.

GORM

Adventurer
Thanks ColoDisco ... Any idea whether an error with the fuel sender throws a code on the gap tool? I don't otherwise have any applicable warning lights on (tpms doesnt count). I need gap tool for another issue so was wondering how many reasons I'm amassing to get the tool. The other is to reset the parking brake.

From what I am reading elsewhere, if it is the front one, I'm screwed but if it is the rear, I'm only looking at about $90 unless the gods are smiling and I find the float fell off.

Anything else I should be checking on or watch outs?

Thanks

spikemd

Explorer
My wife just ran our LR3 dry last weekend. I was baffled at first but thankfully, she was pushed to a gas station where I started to look into the issue. Hooked up jumper cables and it cranked over great and the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago. Pushed her back to the pump and filled her up and she fired right up! Looks like I will dropping the tank soon.

Did you replace the senders? Float? Any tips?

GORM

Adventurer
So the tank has 2 sensors, one of mine is working and thus my tank goes from full to 1/2. I decided to just live with it as I have plenty of other upgrades that would give me more utility than the gas gauge. Sorry I cannot be of help. Let us know if you tackle it, maybe I'll reconsider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94