Build suggestions

Lenny

I recently bought a 2006 WK coming from 2 Wranglers. Put an OME HD lift with some rubicon take offs. Otherwise, it is stock. It's gonna be a slow build as money allows so, I would like some suggestions on where to start with order of necessity/importance. Recovery, skids, sliders, cargo, etc... My spare is in the cargo area so I need to figure out somewhere to put that thing. Just getting into the overland/adventure driving. Been to Big Bend and I loved the remote aspect of it. Feels like you're on Mars. Went to the Ouray area this summer and had a blast.
Thanks for your help.

9423bf02-d824-490d-aab0-4b56826a4b43_zpsrhezlz3w.jpg

Septu

Explorer
What you need/want will very much depend on how you plan on using it. Do you plan to really wheel it, or go out exploring alone on some sketchy roads? If so, a winch and probably a bumper should probably be very high on your list. However if you plan on sticking to forest service roads and more established trails and don't want to push the vehicle at all, then a winch could be a lot farther down the list - if it even makes it on it at all.

Personally if you plan on doing anything off road, I'd put on some recovery points and get a strap or two and then just go out and do your thing (just not alone if it's sketchy). Then as you use it more and get a better idea as to what you want and where you're going to go (both with the WK and the build), you will have a much better idea of what you need and what you may want. But without this idea as to where you're going... anything we suggest is (right now) likely a waste of money.

All that said... built WKs are sexy beasts. They don't touch the JK in terms of off road abilities (at least not without a ton of time/money), but it's hard to beat the look of a built WK.

Lenny

Thanks and sorry I wasn't more specific. Did my wheeling in my wranglers and I'm kind of over that. More interested in getting into the backcountry and camping. I'm more interested in the scenery than I am climbing over big rocks. I drove Black bear and Imogene pass this summer and those types of roads are what I enjoy. Fun but not super technical with a few pucker moments with the shelf roads. Being in the backcountry is my jam now. I had a winch on my wranglers for the reason you mentioned, I've been known to go out alone and it helped me out of a few jams. New to overlanding so I'm not too familiar with any routes and the difficulty. Not much here in Texas but I would like to make a yearly pilgrimage to do some expeditions in different states.

Septu

Explorer
Toss the recovery points on and then hit the road! Obviously there's a risk without a way to self recover yourself if you're out alone. I turned around tons of times when alone before I got my winch on my JK - even on mild crap I probably could have gotten through just because I didn't want to risk having to dig my way out. But other than that, I would focus more on what you need for what you want to do immediately. Cargo/storage is the first thing that comes to mind when you say you have your spare in the back/trunk. So sorting that out and finding out a way to maximize your storage would probably be pretty high on the list before you plan a road trip. For me, because I do a ton of night driving and there's lots of wildlife, I'd look into what headlight options you have to get the best lighting possible. Aux lights are fine, but one usually gets more use out of the headlights. But that's me, and I'm not sure how that would apply to you.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice rig!

I recommend a good compressor and tire plug kit. Unless you get a tear in the sidewall, a plug can usually get you back in the game faster than changing to the spare. Mine has saved the day on numerous vehicles.

goin camping

Explorer
Sounds (And I could be wrong) like you got yourself a camping rig. If that is the case. Front and rear recovery points, a shovel, some straps and a 5 ton bumper jack.

After that I'd start looking into sleeping arrangements. Aiming for an inside bed, roof top tent or ground tent? Then it comes down to being able to pack and access what you need.

The more you tell us your thoughts the more we can give you thoughts, suggestions and pros and cons.

BTW, welcome aboard. There is lots of experience in here and we're happy to share it with you.

tarditi

Explorer
Bull bar front bumper with winch, mild lift, slightly larger AT tires (stay in power range for current gearing), rear bumper with tire carrier, roof cargo basket... done.

Hi Lenny, I use my wrangler of exactly what you are doing with your wk. but knowing that you are not not rocks me neither, I just being well prepared. Years ago I had an land cruiser 100 model. I went with an arb front bumper for a warn winch and a TJM rear bumper tire swing and got rid of the under carriage crank down spare. I don't know for sure but I bet that this would be a great way to go on your wk. that or something similar. Good luck post some pic as you go

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Until you see where you are lacking....I would just add gas and gear inside and go exploring.

crossed-up

Observer
Until you see where you are lacking....I would just add gas and gear inside and go exploring.

As the owner of a near identical GC, i totally agree with this. The standard vehicle is more than capable of dealing with the sort use it sounds like you have planned. I have just added some underbody protection but kept the stock ride height and wheel/tyre size, allowing me to keep the spare in the original position under the floor, retaining the limited interior space. I have mostly concentrated on maximising the interior space for camping and life on the road.

I0000DXJ0NRGV.Ms.jpg

I0000gveUZCG35CM.jpg

I0000NwfdlkGhwcQ.jpg

I0000YrVNVsChnbM.jpg

I00009WiLTl_p3_0.jpg

Lenny

Thanks everyone. I have a lot of recovery gear, straps, snatch block, d rings, air pump and so on from my wrangler days. And lots of camping gear from backpacking. There are a few winch bumpers out there for the WK but rear bumpers with tire carriers are almost non existent from what I've seen , maybe someone can point me to one. I've looked into a hitch mount spare tire carrier but I'm pretty that would get on my nerves every time I needed in the back. I have the lift and tires I want so I think my next thing will be winch and bumper.
crossed-up, nice WK!

kojackJKU

The hitchgate has a quick release hinge on it, so it just swings open. Not that big a deal really! I am getting one for our patriot. I want the interior space for when we are exploring in it and going on road trips.

Lenny

SSF556, nice build! How do you like all the 4x armor?

kojack, I've looked into those and that might be the way I go. Have you done much research? I'm worried about how solid they are in the hitch offroad as far as sway and rattle.

kojackJKU

From what others have told me, there fitting very tightly. and there is not much movement or noise at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz