Which truck to import from Japan?

jlager

I’m looking to build a camper/exploration vehicle based on one of these trucks and were looking for opinions on which one to get. Being in BC, Canada, I have the ability to import anything older than 15 years from Japan. They seem to have a lot of different options though. Obviously the fuso is the most popular in North America but I’m looking for a crew cab 4x4 one which I understand isn’t offered here. My top concerns are 1. Reliability, 2. Parts being available here in Canada and 3. Off road ability. I’m also looking at doing this on a really small budget which I don’t know if it’s realistic or not. Having said that, it seems like I can get any of these trucks from mid 90s with under 120,000 miles on them for under $5k from Japan:

• Mitsu Canter (fuso)
• Mitsu Canter Guts (smaller version of the fuso?)
• Isuzu Elf
• Toyota Dyna
• Anything else?

As mentioned, I’d like to get a crew cab 4x4 and then I would like to mount a small truck camper on the back of it. Which one would you recommend out of the list above?

Thanks!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are potential issues with the condition (excessive rust) of 4x4 trucks imported from Japan, so be careful if you go down that route.

BTW... welcome to the forum. :)

cameron_a

Observer
yep often 4x4 or even stuff that has snow tyres when auctioned has been run on salted roads and the chassis of those vehicles etc are pretty grubby.
Often the jap models of late model smaller trucks (isuzu npr/nps etc) have the smaller engines too. At least for us here in NZ an Isuzu NPS will be fitted with a 5.2L 4HK1 vs the jap model usually having a 3.0L 4JJ1 engine (which actually go really well, just different to the 5.2)
Japan is an RHD country too. is that ok for Canada?

jlager

Hmm hadn't considered the rust issue. I would be using an exporting company who will inspect vehicles for me so I'll have them watch out for that.

RHD is no problem for Canada. Lots of RHD vehicles from Japan here.

All other things being equal, is there any of the trucks that would be better than the others for what I want? I notice the Dyna is already a single wheel in the rear so I guess that would save me from converting it?

MrWesson

Adventurer
I believe japan has intense guidelines as to what can and cannot be registered on it's roads. New cars are inspected(at the owners expense) after 3 years then 2 years after and then every year after that.

Replacing a 7 year old vehicle with 30,000 miles with a new one is cheaper than keeping it on the road. I just don't see rust being a problem.

jlager

I believe japan has intense guidelines as to what can and cannot be registered on it's roads. New cars are inspected(at the owners expense) after 3 years then 2 years after and then every year after that.

Replacing a 7 year old vehicle with 30,000 miles with a new one is cheaper than keeping it on the road. I just don't see rust being a problem.

You are right but I'm looking at mid 90s trucks (mostly due to the 15 year old import limitation but also price) so they've been on the road for a while. Also, I'm not sure if those strict vehicle standards apply to commercial vehicles.

Tourboy

Observer
Another thing to consider with a Jap import is that they know they have to get rid of most vehicles well before we would so the servicing can be questionable and I know that Jap imports in Oz tend to have also had the speedos wound back.

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
What evidence do you have re winding back? Is it done in Aus or Japan?

Another thing to consider with a Jap import is that they know they have to get rid of most vehicles well before we would so the servicing can be questionable and I know that Jap imports in Oz tend to have also had the speedos wound back.

Tourboy

Observer
What evidence do you have re winding back? Is it done in Aus or Japan?

No direct evidence other than vehicles that I have looked at in the past, have worn foot pedal rubbers, worn steering wheels and trim, dodgy paint, blowing smoke, rust and had only 40,000km or so on the clock. All looked like 400,000km vehicles.
Just have a good look is all I'm saying. price dependant they might still be a wortwhile purchase.
Keep in mind also some of the Jap 4wd trucks like the Dyna and 4WD Coaster busses (using dyna running gear) have the portal hubs from the Mega Cruiser and I seriously doubt that you would be able to get parts easily if you broke one. Also alot of them have low range but it isn't connected either electronically or via linkages so you will need to remedy that also.

Personally I'd go the Isuzu they are a better truck overall. They aren't the best selling 4wd truck in Oz for nearly 30 years for nothing.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I was of the opinion we were talking about small 4x4 trucks, of which there is a very limited choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier