Freightliner SportChassis P4XL

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a new option for an extra-large home-on-wheels with some off-pavement capability:
the Freightliner Sportchassis P4XL

sportchassis-p4xl-1.jpg

sportchassis-p4xl-2.jpg

Note that this has single rear wheels from the factory.

Some details:
Freightliner M2 106 chassis
Crew Cab w/ air-ride
8 foot pickup bed
standard Mercedes MBE900-330
optional Cummins ISC 300 hp, 1000 lb-ft
Allison 3200TRV automatic
No-Spin limited slip rear differential
Meritor front drive axle
Bilstein shocks
airbag suspension
shift on the fly all wheel drive
single rear wheels
Michelin XD2 255/70 R22.5 tires

The advertising information talks about an Off Road package, but provides no details.
The truck in the photos has this option. I don't have any pricing information.

262" overall length
174" wheelbse
99" width
114" height
truck bed 97" x 60"

Read more at
http://sportchassis.com/component/o.../cat,overview/model,11/type,sp-Overview-P4XL/

Chip Haven

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Very interesting Chip! I'm sure it's a nicer highway ride then a similarly equipped Mog.

By my calculations, the bed on this truck is actually SMALLER then a Dodge Ram 3500 dually by about 6 inches!

Pete

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I would be a little leary about the MBE 900 later model EGR motors, and in no way could you get me to buy a 2007 emmisions model or a compound turbo model. I'm factory certified and have to work on them in a dealer setting and thats bad enough, I would hate to work on it in the middle of nowhere. The pre EGR ones aren't too bad though, parts cost would be my main concern there, but someone who could afford that kind of truck could probably afford a few grand in motor work every now and then.

ttravis5446 said:
I would be a little leary about the MBE 900 later model EGR motors, and in no way could you get me to buy a 2007 emmisions model or a compound turbo model. I'm factory certified and have to work on them in a dealer setting and thats bad enough, I would hate to work on it in the middle of nowhere. The pre EGR ones aren't too bad though, parts cost would be my main concern there, but someone who could afford that kind of truck could probably afford a few grand in motor work every now and then.

I did have a leak in my EGR cooler. The replacement was a different "improved" part #. Is this what you're referring to? The motor runs well and gets 9mpg in a non-aerodynamic 27,000 lb truck with 5.92s and 47" tires.

Charlie

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I have seen a few issues with the EGR coolers on these, usually they leak internally. If you get the motor pretty hot you can almost plan on replacing the EGR cooler. Thats not what I meant about being leary of the EGR motors though, that is just one piece in a bad puzzle. Detroit Diesel hasn't had the best of luck with its first gen of EGR motors, it seems like they got those bugs worked out for the new second gen (EPA 07) engines but the jury is still out, plus I'm sure those engines will have bugs all there own with the new exhaust aftertratment systems. Luckily I get to work on more Series 60 and MBE 4000 than I do the little 900 motors. Although I do have a hybrid M2 show truck waiting outside my bay for the morning that I'm actually kind of excited about. I haven't got to work on a hybrid yet.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
There was just a snipet about the P4XL on HD Theater's World's MOst Expensive Cars. They kept touting it as the only thing with offroad capabilities of its size. They neeed a trip to ExPo's forums.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Pretty stout rig! Looks great too.

Probably pretty capable, until it gets STUCK. :snorkel:

I dont even want to think about the $$$$ needed to purchase the proper winch for such a rig :Wow1:

A hydraulic Warn 20XL is ~$4700 and 30XL~$5700. 20 and 30 thousand lb respectively.
A DP 20AJ is ~$5500. A Superwinch 15K is ~$3000. All hydraulic.
Wire rope not included.

Charlie

haven

Expedition Leader
Sportchassis builds the P4XL on the Freightliner M2 106 chassis.
I think they will build one with a longer wheelbase, without the
pickup bed but including the front drive axle and big off-road
tires. The longer chassis would give enough room for a larger
cabin. Just show them the money!

It would be interesting to compare the Sportchassis 4x4
to the Mitsubishi FM modified by Darrin Fink
http://www.ruf-inc.com/aatrecfm.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior