Western US adventure vehicle w/ giant dog

rayra

Expedition Leader
Ya, we had a Z71 suburban. A regular suburban would have gotten stuck on the talus field. I say it barely did the trail because we had to go 2mph to not pop a tire on the sharp/shifting rocks and it was almost too wide in quite a few sections. The latter is actually what prompted this post. I was hell bent on the E350 van, but it's still really wide for the trails so I was hoping y'all would have some other ideas/experiences to offer.

Dunno, but it sounds like you need to give up talus fields then. As for wide, it's the same as any other full-size vehicle. And with your family, dog and cargo needs, you want something that big. And the tire thing on shifting talus is true of any vehicle. Why'd you ditch the Suburban? Fuel economy?

Suganuma

Dunno, but it sounds like you need to give up talus fields then. As for wide, it's the same as any other full-size vehicle. And with your family, dog and cargo needs, you want something that big. And the tire thing on shifting talus is true of any vehicle. Why'd you ditch the Suburban? Fuel economy?

We rented the suburban while the in laws were in town...sort of a test. I thought I mentioned that. Anyways, rental car AT tires drove a careful speed.

Exposed rock trails like that are fairly standard around here.

Agree, need some size, but trying to not go too big/heavy if I don't need to.

Suganuma

It's from Rockbox, relatively same dimensions as a M416 military trailer.

2 car seats? I can do 3!
2015-06-18%2009.49.26-XL.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Sweet! I dig the 4Runner but my hang up is cost. For almost the same money and gas mileage I can get a 4wd van that keeps everything (eating, sleeping, travel) internal in extreme cold.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
nothing beats a 4x4 van for your needs
and nothing is a perfect match for what you are asking for.
you will have to make at lest one if not a couple compromises.

but I say beater white 4x4 (awd) van with a poptop and decked out with a furnace & AC for your hot & cold season needs.

want it all and the cherry on top is far from cheap.. so learn where to find/make the additional $$ needed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
4runners are great for the family and dog. It's the only SUV I know of that has a roll down rear window.
The Sequioa also has a roll down rear window. ;)
Having said that, I really REALLY hate the "new" sequoia design that started in '08. I haven't even seen that many '08+ Sequoias out there - it seems like Toyota is trying so hard to compete in the full size truck segment with the Tundra that the Sequoia gets left behind as an afterthought, which is a shame.
In any case, OP said you rented a Suburban and that it was barely adequate - I'm assuming then that it was a fairly recent model (GMT-900 or K2XX) suburban? Might consider a GMT-800 (2000 - 2006) or even a low mileage GMT-400 (1992 - 1999) model as they have a higher interior cabin which might be easier on the dog.
The K2XX in particular with it's "fold and stow" 3rd row seats eats up a lot of the interior height, which IMO was a dumb design move on the part of GM.
You didn't mention sleeping arrangments - I'm assuming that you are not going try and sleep 4 people plus a big dog inside your vehicle? Because the only thing I can think of that would do that would be something like a Sprinter van which would likely bust your budget.
I think a Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition/Sequoia sized vehicle and a mid-sized (I'd say under 25') travel trailer might be your best bet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles